beware IE 7 betas

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Just a heads up, I had installed the first beta to see what it was like.
    I then decided I would see what the second beta was like.
    It informed me I had to uninstall the first beta first from the control
    panel add/remove software, that seemed simple.

    I then started the installation of the second beta preview.
    I had taken snapshots with system restore before this and before
    installing beta 1 also.

    Anyway part way through the installation I get an error box "access
    denied" and the only thing I could click was ok, the system then rebooted.

    I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    work, along with outlook etc etc..

    Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

    Am I alone? no, a quick search on google finds others with the same
    problem....and they tried many tricks to get it sorted but in the end
    had to do fresh installs or windows repairs..

    Great that system restore is so flakey :)

    I guess it was about time for a fresh install of windows anyway :)

    Nova, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Nova

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > Just a heads up, I had installed the first beta to see what it was like.
    > I then decided I would see what the second beta was like.
    > It informed me I had to uninstall the first beta first from the control
    > panel add/remove software, that seemed simple.
    >
    > I then started the installation of the second beta preview.
    > I had taken snapshots with system restore before this and before
    > installing beta 1 also.
    >
    > Anyway part way through the installation I get an error box "access
    > denied" and the only thing I could click was ok, the system then rebooted.
    >
    > I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    > telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    > am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    > says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    > there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    > work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >
    > Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...
    >
    > Am I alone? no, a quick search on google finds others with the same
    > problem....and they tried many tricks to get it sorted but in the end had
    > to do fresh installs or windows repairs..
    >
    > Great that system restore is so flakey :)
    >
    > I guess it was about time for a fresh install of windows anyway :)

    Thats always the risk you run with you install beta software :p
    esp if it comes from microsoft *lol*

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Feb 8, 2006

  3. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    > telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    > am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    > says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    > there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    > work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >
    > Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

    Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
    Micro$oft browser.

    I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
    goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.

    Yeah right!!

    When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    than Micro$oft Windows?

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    --
    Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
    so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Nova

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >> Just a heads up, I had installed the first beta to see what it was like.
    >> I then decided I would see what the second beta was like.
    >> It informed me I had to uninstall the first beta first from the control
    >> panel add/remove software, that seemed simple.
    >>
    >> I then started the installation of the second beta preview.
    >> I had taken snapshots with system restore before this and before
    >> installing beta 1 also.
    >>
    >> Anyway part way through the installation I get an error box "access
    >> denied" and the only thing I could click was ok, the system then
    >> rebooted.
    >>
    >> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    >> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    >> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    >> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    >> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    >> work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >>
    >> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...
    >>
    >> Am I alone? no, a quick search on google finds others with the same
    >> problem....and they tried many tricks to get it sorted but in the end had
    >> to do fresh installs or windows repairs..
    >>
    >> Great that system restore is so flakey :)
    >>
    >> I guess it was about time for a fresh install of windows anyway :)

    > Thats always the risk you run with you install beta software :p
    > esp if it comes from microsoft *lol*

    Yeah, lucky you were doing it on your development system right?

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Nova

    Allistar Guest

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    >> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    >> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    >> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    >> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    >> work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >>
    >> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

    > Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
    > Micro$oft browser.
    >
    > I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
    > goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
    >
    > Yeah right!!
    >
    > When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    > than Micro$oft Windows?
    >

    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Why the "$" sign in the name "Microsoft"? A tad immature I think, Mr
    Undeniably Sluttish. People should use whatever OS they want to use.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 9, 2006
  6. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:51:31 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > People should use whatever OS they want to use.

    Of course they should. And why would anyone actually *want* to use
    Micro$oft Windows?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    >> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    >> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    >> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    >> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    >> work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >>
    >> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

    > Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
    > Micro$oft browser.
    >
    > I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
    > goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
    >
    > Yeah right!!
    >
    > When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    > than Micro$oft Windows?
    >

    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
    beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

    Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
    _like_ to run requires windows..

    But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's :)

    Nova, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Nova

    Allistar Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:51:31 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> People should use whatever OS they want to use.

    > Of course they should. And why would anyone actually *want* to use
    > Micro$oft Windows?

    Because they aren't aware of any alternatives, and no alternatives are
    available when they buy their computer from Harvey Norman or Noel Leemings.

    > A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 9, 2006
  9. Nova

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Nova <> wrote in news:43ea6824$:

    > Just a heads up, I had installed the first beta to see what it was like.

    In a virtual machine?
    If not, be prepared to FDISK.
    This is clearly stated all over the place. IE is part of Windows since
    above windows 95...

    Anyways, did you like it? I would like to try it, but am quite happy with
    a few plugins for firefox, and the web sites that don't work in FF, I just
    open in IE. Right Click , open in IE. Done.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 9, 2006
  10. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Nova <> wrote in news:43ea6824$:
    >
    >> Just a heads up, I had installed the first beta to see what it was like.

    > In a virtual machine?
    > If not, be prepared to FDISK.
    > This is clearly stated all over the place. IE is part of Windows since
    > above windows 95...
    >
    > Anyways, did you like it? I would like to try it, but am quite happy with
    > a few plugins for firefox, and the web sites that don't work in FF, I just
    > open in IE. Right Click , open in IE. Done.

    It wasn't on an all important machine but thought I'd warn others.
    It looks very nice though, I use Opera most of the time now and use IE
    when I come across a site that doesn't work, but once ie7 goes non beta
    I'll probably just start using that as it has everything I use opera for
    in it.

    Nova, Feb 9, 2006
  11. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
    > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..
    >
    > Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
    > _like_ to run requires windows..
    >
    > But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's :)

    To what extent have you received support... for your Windows box in order
    to reverse the botched installation of Micro$oft's Web Browser?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 9, 2006
  12. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
    > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

    Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
    be completely reinstalled.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 9, 2006
  13. A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    >> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
    >> beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    >> bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    >> entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

    > Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
    > be completely reinstalled.

    It's not really "user software", IE is a large part of the operating system.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Feb 9, 2006
  14. Nova

    David Guest

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    >> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    >> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    >> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    >> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    >> work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >>
    >> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

    > Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
    > Micro$oft browser.
    >
    > I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
    > goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
    >
    > Yeah right!!
    >
    > When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    > than Micro$oft Windows?
    >

    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    There's nothing better than the best.

    David, Feb 9, 2006
  15. Nova

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >>
    >>> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
    >>> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
    >>> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
    >>> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
    >>> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
    >>> work, along with outlook etc etc..
    >>>
    >>> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

    >> Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
    >> Micro$oft browser.
    >>
    >> I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
    >> goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
    >>
    >> Yeah right!!
    >>
    >> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    >> than Micro$oft Windows?
    >>

    >> Heisse Kapiti Trinken
    >>

    > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a beta
    > and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically bring
    > down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall entirely,
    > even the repair didn't work in the end..
    >
    > Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
    > _like_ to run requires windows..
    >
    > But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's :)

    Where did it ever say that it was the final version?
    You chose to install and TEST it out all at your own risk.

    Have you tried getting rid of it in safe mode?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 9, 2006
  16. A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    > > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
    > > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    > > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    > > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

    > Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
    > be completely reinstalled.

    How so? He had to be an administrator (root in your language) to
    install the software

    You or the software can do anything you/it likes (including trashing
    the OS) as an administrative privelege level.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 9, 2006
  17. Nova wrote:
    > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a

    That's why they are betas. And to put it in context, it sounds like it
    was IE7 beta 1 that was originally installed. That was officially
    released through MSDN and the technical beta program. Both of those
    programs have ways of raising technical support calls to deal with
    issues like this if neccessary.

    Those official sites warned about the test nature of the early IE7
    builds. Heck the current public build is not even beta2 yet, its a
    beta2 preview.

    > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

    IE7b2 uninstall calls
    %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe IE7b1 uses a
    similarly named directory, you could try uninstalling from there, maybe
    in safe mode.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 9, 2006
  18. Nova

    Nova Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >> Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:

    >>> Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
    >>> Micro$oft browser.
    >>>
    >>> I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
    >>> goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
    >>>
    >>> Yeah right!!
    >>>
    >>> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    >>> than Micro$oft Windows?
    >>>

    >>> Heisse Kapiti Trinken
    >>>

    >> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a beta
    >> and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically bring
    >> down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall entirely,
    >> even the repair didn't work in the end..
    >>
    >> Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
    >> _like_ to run requires windows..
    >>
    >> But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's :)

    > Where did it ever say that it was the final version?
    > You chose to install and TEST it out all at your own risk.

    Correct, i already pointed that out myself, and my original message was
    just to warn people that it can hose the OS.
    i don't recall ever mentioning that this was the final version? but if I
    did that was certainly a typo, i was well aware it was a beta, and in
    another message wrote that it was on a machine that could afford to be lost.

    > Have you tried getting rid of it in safe mode?

    Yes, I tried all the usual tricks and ran through the lists in forums
    where other people had similar problems.
    I have used beta software a lot, I wasn't expecting quite so much drama
    but anyway was more just letting people know what can happen with the
    current preview.

    Nova, Feb 9, 2006
  19. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:34:20 +1300, David wrote:

    >> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
    >> than Micro$oft Windows?

    > There's nothing better than the best.

    Agreed.

    And as Micro$oft Windows is inferior on so many levels, that really shows
    how effective Micro$oft's marketing, propaganda, and lobbying machines are.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
    can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 9, 2006
  20. On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:40:28 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >>
    >> > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
    >> > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
    >> > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
    >> > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

    >> Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
    >> be completely reinstalled.

    > How so? He had to be an administrator (root in your language) to
    > install the software
    >
    > You or the software can do anything you/it likes (including trashing
    > the OS) as an administrative privelege level.

    That sill doesn't explain why attempting to install a web browser should
    trash the OS.

    It's not like you're overwriting the kernel or anything as daft as that
    now, eh!

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 9, 2006