    only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.
    RichA, Feb 27, 2013

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 27, 1:32 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-02-27 09:17:37 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    > > I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    > > into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    > > clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    > > Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    > > to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    > > only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    > > IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    > > artificially low prices.  B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    > Rest your neck Rich!
    > This is one of your chronic rants. You write as if this is news to you,
    > and you only just discovered how B&H ship to Canada and deal with
    > Canadian customs clearing, by including those fees in the shipping
    > charges.
    > I am sure that B&H and Adorama make their entire profit on sales to
    > unwitting Canadian customers.
    >
    > So my suggestion is don't buy anything from them. Keep your Canadian$$$
    > North of the border, patronize Canadian vendors and just bitch about
    > their prices and Canadian taxes.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there. Know
    why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.
    I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller who didn't charge
    ANY fake brokerage fees.
    RichA, Feb 27, 2013

  3. On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, RichA wrote:

    > I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    > into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    > clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    > Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    > to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    > only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    > IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    > artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    Come on, US companies use what's convenient. And that ends up being some
    of those shipping firms that charge a "customs brokerage fee".

    This is not new, I don't know whether it was a sudden thing that changed
    at some point or we suddenly started hearing about it because more people
    were ordering from the US, but I can go back at least 20 years, more than
    that, and the issue was there.

    It meant people here had to read the fine print, skip the companies that
    used the shipping companies that had the brokerage fee.

    One issue is that with all the "security" issues it does seem harder to
    ship from the US to Canada. One small electronic parts place, really
    useful because it carried exotic parts but enough that you could get them
    all in one place, he stopped shipping to Canada because of some new rule
    requiring a very detailed customs form. Maybe he's exaggerating, but
    there have been new layers added when shipping across the border.

    So some places won't ship to Canada at all. SOme places have fussy
    requirements, some may just put a premium on it. And others are clueless
    so they use what's simplest for them, which results in the customer
    getting a surprise when they try to collect the item, a fee so high that
    it isnt' worth it on small items.

    I don't like it, but it happens, and it's just a matter of being careful.

    It's always been that way, we look at the US and the lwoer prices and
    drool over that, but even when the dollar is at par, there's the shipping
    and the duty and whatever else, so looking at bare US prices is an
    illusion, you need to do the math before you think things in Canada are
    too outrageous.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Feb 27, 2013
  4. On 27/02/2013 2:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-27 11:26:52 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    > Well, good for you, finally exercising the right to select the vendor of
    > your choice.

    I guess RichA will have to start buying locally, rumour is he drops into
    Henry`s in Toronto has a sales associate take the time to demo some toy,
    and then Rich orders it from B&H. Wasted a lot of the local
    salesperson`s time, and cheated them out of their commission.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Usenet Account, Feb 27, 2013
  5. RichA

    Guest

    > Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there. Know
    >
    > why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.
    >
    > I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller who didn't charge
    >
    > ANY fake brokerage fees.

    That is NOT the case.

    The Adorama Ebay site does not ship anywhere outside the US. This is because we have no control over late delivery caused by border and customs' controls.

    If a package is held up when entering another country, the customer may choose to leave poor feedback reflecting this, even though it is no fault of Adorama Ebay.
    This poor feedback will bring down our overall percentage of good feedback. So we opted not to ship overseas.

    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    , Feb 27, 2013
  6. RichA

    Guest

    On Wednesday, 27 February 2013 20:32:52 UTC+2, Savageduck wrote:

    > Rest your neck Rich!
    >
    > This is one of your chronic rants. You write as if this is news to you,
    >
    > and you only just discovered how B&H ship to Canada and deal with
    >
    > Canadian customs clearing, by including those fees in the shipping
    >
    > charges.
    >
    > I am sure that B&H and Adorama make their entire profit on sales to
    >
    > unwitting Canadian customers.
    >

    > So my suggestion is don't buy anything from them. Keep your Canadian$$$
    >
    > North of the border, patronize Canadian vendors and just bitch about
    >
    > their prices and Canadian taxes.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Savageduck

    Shipping to Canada
    Adorama offers Hassle free shipping to Canada. By using our service and prepaying all Canadian VAT and duties we are able to expedite your order through customs. The final price you pay at checkout will include all cross border brokerage fees and taxes. You will not be responsible for any additionalcharges. Adorama makes every attempt to obtain the most current tax classifications and rates to determine the correct VAT and duties. Duties and taxes are calculated based on HST, PST, GST, NAFTA and the individual product classification.

    Not all products on our site allow you to choose this option. If the product you purchase doesn’t offer this prepaid option you will be responsible for all customs fees and import taxes.

    All international shipments require a signature upon delivery. An additional return shipping charge will be assessed for orders that are refused.

    Estimated Shipping Times:
    Alberta – Four to five business days

    BC – Four to five business days

    Manitoba – Three to four business days

    Maritimes – Three to four business days

    Ontario – Two to three business days

    Quebec – Two to three business days

    Saskatchewan – Four to five business days

    Toronto - Next day to two business days

    According to photoprice.ca :

    http://www.photoprice.ca/article/adorama-cheap-ground-shipping-tax-duty

    a quick check shows that shipping costs are, on average, 50% less! Most items ship for less than $20, which is competitive with Canadian retail store shipping.
    • Adorama Calculates the Tax & Duty & Brokerage, and charges you at time of sale. That means the final price you pay to Adorama is the final price to you. No more surprises, and no worrying about the tax bill from your courier when your shipment arrives.
    Don't forget that many photographic items are covered by US/Canada or Worldwide Manufacturer Warranties, so many items you purchase from the US often come with warranty coverage in Canada.

    This is the phoprice.ca article on warranties for Canadian consumers:

    http://www.photoprice.ca/article/warranty-us-canada-grey-market

    If you are new to buying from the US, you can also read the photoprice.ca article about Tax, Duty, and Brokerage Fees when buying from the US.

    http://www.photoprice.ca/article/tax-duty-brokerage-demystified
    What is included in the final Adorama price? ALL taxes, duties, and brokerage fees are included in the final number when you select "Canada Shipping".
    • Tax: Your local sales tax (GST + PST, or HST depending on province). Ifyou are not in an HST province, only GST is charged (no PST). No taxes aredue at delivery.
    • Duty: Most camera equipment is duty free. If what you are buying is not, duties are included as well.
    • Brokerage Fees: There are NO extra brokerage fees. Everything is already included in the shipping fee!
    Go check out Adorama Camera for yourself, today http://www.adorama.com/ andfind out how the new Tax & Duty-Included Ground shipping is going to keep dollars in YOUR pocket!

    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me directly: .

    [Thank you to photoprice.ca for saying it all so concisely and clearly!]

  7. On 27/02/2013 6:05 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-02-27 14:56:38 -0800, said:
    >

    >>> Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there. Know
    >>>
    >>> why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.
    >>>
    >>> I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller who didn't charge
    >>>
    >>> ANY fake brokerage fees.

    >> That is NOT the case.
    >>
    >> The Adorama Ebay site does not ship anywhere outside the US. This is
    >> because we have no control over late delivery caused by border and
    >> customs' controls.
    >>
    >> If a package is held up when entering another country, the customer
    >> may choose to leave poor feedback reflecting this, even though it is
    >> no fault of Adorama Ebay.
    >> This poor feedback will bring down our overall percentage of good
    >> feedback. So we opted not to ship overseas.
    >>
    >> Helen Oster
    >> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    >>

    > It is good to know that Helen is still out there providing the great
    > customer care always provided by Adorama.
    >
    > It is even more satisfying to see her confronting bogus claims
    > fabricated by our verbose neighbor to the North, and calling him on them.
    >
    > Keep up the good work Helen!

    Henry Posner (B&H) used to post here as well to counter bogus claims.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Usenet Account, Feb 28, 2013
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 27, 3:32 pm, Usenet Account <> wrote:
    > On 27/02/2013 2:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > > On 2013-02-27 11:26:52 -0800, RichA <> said:

    > > Well, good for you, finally exercising the right to select the vendor of
    > > your choice.

    > I guess RichA will have to start buying locally, rumour is he drops into
    > Henry`s in Toronto has a sales associate take the time to demo some toy,
    > and then Rich orders it from B&H.

    Ypu moron. I've spend $16,000 locally at camera stores over the last
    six years, almost nothing in the U.S. Would be nice if you knew what
    the F--- you were talking about.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 27, 4:25 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-02-27 13:15:44 -0800, "R. Mark Clayton"
    > <> said:
    >

    > > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > >> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    > >> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    > >> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    > >> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    > >> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    > >> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    > >> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    > >> artificially low prices.  B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    > > Stop moaning about Canadian taxes and campaign for your state to join the
    > > union.

    > They had their chance in 1776.
    > ...and that would be Province, not state.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    And you people had your "chance" in 1812.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 27, 5:56 pm, wrote:
    > >   Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there.  Know

    > > why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.

    > > I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller  who didn't charge

    > > ANY fake brokerage fees.

    > That is NOT the case.
    >
    > The Adorama Ebay site does not ship anywhere outside the US. This is because we have no control over late delivery caused by border and customs' controls.
    >
    > If a package is held up when entering another country, the customer may choose to leave poor feedback reflecting this, even though it is no fault ofAdorama Ebay.
    > This poor feedback will bring down our overall percentage of good feedback. So we opted not to ship overseas.
    >
    > Helen Oster
    > Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

    Nothing to do with the FACT Ebay caught on to the scams some sellers
    were pulling (charging huge shipping charges are low sale prices, in
    order to avoid Ebay selling fees) which they clamped down on by
    recently levying fees on shipping charges as well.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Beware crooked, large American camera stores BZZZZZT

    On Feb 27, 5:58 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
    >
    > > I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    > > into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs

    > RichA is full of shit as usual.
    >
    > When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
    > processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).
    >
    > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg
    >
    > To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

    Sigh. UPS does not CHARGE brokerage fees on any SERVICE above GROUND
    SHIPMENT. If you are stupid enough to go with ground shipment cross
    border, you will pay a brokerage fee of anywhere from $20 to about
    $60. With services above this, all you pay is the SHIPPING FEE as
    stated. Which is why the services above it most often make more sense
    (economically) to use.
    The customs clearance fees being charged by places like B&H and
    Adorama are "creations" on their part designed to shore-up profits.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  12. RichA

    On Feb 27, 9:18 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-02-27 18:01:11 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >

    > > On Feb 27, 5:58 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> RichA is full of shit as usual.

    > >> When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
    > >> processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).

    > >>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg

    > >> To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

    > > Sigh.  UPS does not CHARGE brokerage fees on any SERVICE above GROUND
    > > SHIPMENT.  If you are stupid enough to go with ground shipment cross
    > > border, you will pay a brokerage fee of anywhere from $20 to about
    > > $60.  With services above this, all you pay is the SHIPPING FEE as
    > > stated.  Which is why the services above it most often make more sense
    > > (economically) to use.
    > > The customs clearance fees being charged by places like B&H and
    > > Adorama are "creations" on their part designed to shore-up profits.

    > Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
    > options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
    > which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
    > for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
    > application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
    > unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
    > non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
    > than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
    > house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.
    >
    > Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
    > <http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    An example of bringing a camera over the border.

    B&H/Adorama

    Cost: $340
    Shipping (Fedex/UPS): $34.00
    CUSTOMS CLEARANCE: $50-$70
    Exchange rate: zero today
    Canadian tax in Ontario $44.00
    Total landed cost: $478.00

    If you go Fedex or UPS ground any difference is a wash because
    although the shipping is a little lower, you get hit with THEIR
    brokerage fee in addition.

    Competition:
    Cost: $380.00
    Shipping (USPS Express): $41.00
    Post office processing: $5.00
    Canadian tax in Ontario: $49.53
    Total Landed Cost: $475.53
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  13. Re: Beware crooked, large American camera stores BZZT -2 - Rich isreally stupid

    On 27/02/2013 6:05 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
    >> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    >> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    >> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    >> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    >> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    >> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    >> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    >> artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    > My first post:
    >
    > RichA is full of shit as usual.
    >
    > When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
    > processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).
    >
    > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg
    >
    > To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".
    >

    > This post
    >
    > BUT What really makes RichA look esp. STUPID and a total IDIOT is the
    > next screenshot:
    >
    > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg
    >
    > In other words, most of the "Duty" charges are GST that you LEGALLY HAVE
    > TO PAY NO MATTER HOW YOU LAND THE ITEM!
    >
    > The rest, brokerage, disbursement, security and handling amounts to a
    > few dollars or about 16% of the brokerage charge and all in all a measly
    > 0.8% of the item+shipping (for the case I tried).
    >
    > RichA: biggest horse's patootie on the internet. And that's an, er,
    > achievement.

    Yes he opted for B&H to supply a Customs Broker, a bitchs that the
    service has a fee.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Usenet Account, Feb 28, 2013
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 27, 9:54 pm, wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:05:31 -0500, Alan Browne
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
    > >> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    > >> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    > >> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    > >> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    > >> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    > >> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    > >> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    > >> artificially low prices.  B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    > >My first post:

    > >RichA is full of shit as usual.

    > >When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
    > >processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker).

    > >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg

    > >To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

    > >This post

    > >BUT What really makes RichA look esp. STUPID and a total IDIOT is the
    > >next screenshot:

    > >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg

    > >In other words, most of the "Duty" charges are GST that you LEGALLY HAVE
    > >TO PAY NO MATTER HOW YOU LAND THE ITEM!

    > >The rest, brokerage, disbursement, security and handling amounts to a
    > >few dollars or about 16% of the brokerage charge and all in all a measly
    > >0.8% of the item+shipping (for the case I tried).

    > >RichA: biggest horse's patootie on the internet.  And that's an, er,
    > >achievement.

    > Funny everyone's talking about shipping from USA to CANADA these days... I just
    > imported two shipments. One was replacement speakers from a company in Florida,
    > I of course shipped by US post ground. (spks is HEAVY!)  The package came by
    > mail, the extra bill was about $32, which was PST and GST taxes - NO DUTYor
    > other fees!  ZERO!

    There hasn't been duty on most consumer goods coming in from the U.S.
    to Canada in YEARS.
    In 1978, you'd pay FST tax which was about 11% and then 12% duty.
    Today, you just pay 13% GST tax, or whatever your provincial tax is.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  15. RichA

    On Feb 27, 9:49 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-02-27 18:29:08 -0800, RichA <> said:

    > > ).

    > >> Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
    > >> options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
    > >> which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
    > >> for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
    > >> application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
    > >> unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
    > >> non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
    > >> than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
    > >> house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.

    > >> Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
    > >> <http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,

    > >> Savageduck

    > > An example of bringing a camera over the border.

    > > B&H/Adorama

    > > Cost:  $340
    > > Shipping (Fedex/UPS):  $34.00
    > > CUSTOMS CLEARANCE:  $50-$70
    > > Exchange rate:  zero today
    > > Canadian tax in Ontario  $44.00
    > > Total landed cost:  $478.00

    > However you are misstating the breakdown, as in the example Alan posted
    > the Canadian GST is INCLUDED in that total customs clearance fee.
    > <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg>
    >
    > Why not show us where B&H quoted you adding the Canadian tax in
    > addition to the Purolator Freight brokerage fee, rather than your
    > contrived break down.
    >
    > > If you go Fedex or UPS ground any difference is a wash because
    > > although the shipping is a little lower, you get hit with THEIR
    > > brokerage fee in addition.

    > > Competition:
    > > Cost:  $380.00
    > > Shipping (USPS Express): $41.00
    > > Post office processing:  $5.00
    > > Canadian tax in Ontario: $49.53
    > > Total Landed Cost:  $475.53

    > ...and therein lies the beauty of the market place. There is nothing
    > stopping you from giving your business to the vendor of your choice.
    > That said, I suggest you take a closer look at the reality of the
    > various charges before you fabricate numbers to justify your bitch. A
    > closer look at real world figures suggest you paid some $40-$44 more
    > than you would have ordering from "those people" in NYC.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Hijacking subject lines is a pansy-assed thing to do.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  16. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 27, 10:03 pm, Usenet Account <> wrote:
    > On 27/02/2013 6:05 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >

    > > On 2013.02.27 12:17 , RichA wrote:
    > >> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    > >> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    > >> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    > >> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    > >> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    > >> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    > >> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    > >> artificially low prices.  B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    > > My first post:

    > > RichA is full of shit as usual.

    > > When you checkout you are offered the option to let B&H do the
    > > processing, or to handle customs yourself (eg: UPS, FedEx, etc. broker)..

    > >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHScreenshot.jpg

    > > To avoid high fees (esp. UPS) you "self broker".

    > > This post

    > > BUT What really makes RichA look esp. STUPID and a total IDIOT is the
    > > next screenshot:

    > >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62816810/BandHSS-2.jpg

    > > In other words, most of the "Duty" charges are GST that you LEGALLY HAVE
    > > TO PAY NO MATTER HOW YOU LAND THE ITEM!

    > > The rest, brokerage, disbursement, security and handling amounts to a
    > > few dollars or about 16% of the brokerage charge and all in all a measly
    > > 0.8% of the item+shipping (for the case I tried).

    > > RichA: biggest horse's patootie on the internet.  And that's an, er,
    > > achievement.

    > Yes he opted for B&H to supply a Customs Broker, a bitchs that the
    > service has a fee.
    >
    > --
    > This space intentionally left blank.

    Are you stupid enough to believe custom's processing cost is $50-$70?
    What planet are you from? It's a tacked-on, for-profit FEE used by
    them in-place of an HONEST retail price.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  17. RichA

    On Feb 27, 11:04 pm, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:18:30 -0800, Savageduck
    >

    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > >On 2013-02-27 18:01:11 -0800, RichA <> said:

    > >> Sigh.  UPS does not CHARGE brokerage fees on any SERVICE above GROUND
    > >> SHIPMENT.  If you are stupid enough to go with ground shipment cross
    > >> border, you will pay a brokerage fee of anywhere from $20 to about
    > >> $60.  With services above this, all you pay is the SHIPPING FEE as
    > >> stated.  Which is why the services above it most often make more sense
    > >> (economically) to use.
    > >> The customs clearance fees being charged by places like B&H and
    > >> Adorama are "creations" on their part designed to shore-up profits.

    > >Apparently you do not read. Either that or you do not comprehend the
    > >options offered by B&H. They offer several UPS/FedEx shipping options
    > >which DO NOT include VAT, or brokerage fees. Then they offer an option
    > >for shipment via Purolator Freight which includes a brokerage fee and
    > >application of Canadian VAT. In the example posted by Alan the
    > >unavoidable Canadian VAT is applied along with a reasonable, and
    > >non-punitive brokerage and security fee, which would probably be less
    > >than the cost of gas and time to drive to and from a customs clearing
    > >house/bond warehouse to pay that VAT and retrieve your item.

    > >Note: Purolator Freight is not UPS, FedEx, or B&H.
    > ><http://www.purolatorfreight.com/>

    > My 1931 Minerva had a Purolator oil cleaning system added to it. What
    > a transformation!
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    Hopefully, Purolator products are better than FRAM, a formerly great
    company who sold its soul to the devil (shifted production to China
    and cut quality) in order to get into Walmart's demanded price-point.
    RichA, Feb 28, 2013
  18. RichA

    > Nothing to do with the FACT Ebay caught on to the scams some sellers
    >
    > were pulling (charging huge shipping charges are low sale prices, in
    >
    > order to avoid Ebay selling fees) which they clamped down on by
    >
    > recently levying fees on shipping charges as well.

    No. To protect our hard-won reputation
    , Feb 28, 2013
  19. RichA

    philo  Guest

    On 02/27/2013 01:26 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Feb 27, 1:32 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> On 2013-02-27 09:17:37 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >>> I was going to order something from B&H and I found out that to ship
    >>> into Canada (or wherever) they now charge between $50-$70 "customs
    >>> clearance" for everything, no matter how they ship it.
    >>> Used to be, outside of inevitable Canadian taxes, all you might have
    >>> to pay in addition to shipping would be a brokerage charge and that
    >>> only applied if you used cheap ground service from UPS or Fedex.
    >>> IMO, these people are slimy crooks, padding charges to make-up for
    >>> artificially low prices. B&H and Adorama both have these charges.

    >> Rest your neck Rich!
    >> This is one of your chronic rants. You write as if this is news to you,
    >> and you only just discovered how B&H ship to Canada and deal with
    >> Canadian customs clearing, by including those fees in the shipping
    >> charges.
    >> I am sure that B&H and Adorama make their entire profit on sales to
    >> unwitting Canadian customers.
    >>
    >> So my suggestion is don't buy anything from them. Keep your Canadian$$$
    >> North of the border, patronize Canadian vendors and just bitch about
    >> their prices and Canadian taxes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Savageduck

    > Adorama sells on Ebay and won't ship to Canada from there. Know
    > why? Because Ebay doesn't allow SCAM shipping charges.
    > I ended up getting it from another AMERICAN seller who didn't charge
    > ANY fake brokerage fees.

    I don't know about that.

    I see plenty of things on eBay with *outrageous* shipping fees.

    If people are willing to pay it, I guess they will get away with it...
    but I think most people do the sensible thing and shop elsewhere.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo , Feb 28, 2013
  20. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 28/02/2013 3:04 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > My 1931 Minerva had a Purolator oil cleaning system added to it. What
    > a transformation!
    > -- Regards, Eric Stevens

    Eric that must make you very old :) but then again they never let new
    cars into NZ for quite a few years. I remember in about 1970 they were
    still running around in 1930 cars.
    Rob, Feb 28, 2013