    From: <>
    Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 1:32 AM
    Subject: Onecentmusicandmovies response to your inquiries...

    > Hello,
    > I have several apologys in order. First off, if you have received your

    item already, or have received a requested refund, please disregard this and
    delete this email. I am sorry to have sent it to you.
    > To everyone who has purchased an item from us, and has not received that

    item, or a response to your emails, this message is addressed to you.
    > am extremely sorry, overwhelmingly sorry for the terrible service you

    have received from us. We have been selling on ebay for over 2 years and
    have never, ever had such a catastrophic incident befall us. While we
    usually only deal with auctions, we began loading up on new items,
    particularly recent released cd's/dvd's to sell on ebay at the lowest
    price possible. We were shocked at first by the mass of response we received
    from buyers, and quickly learned that the processing, packaging, and
    shipping load we were carrying was a bit much. We fell about 2 days behind
    in what we strived for with our expected shipping time and with our email
    were optomistic about it all.
    > Our computer systems began acting up around the 23rd or 24th of June. We

    were finding it hard to load files, seemed to lose emails and info on our
    saved data. About a week later our systems completely crashed. Soon to
    follow was a holiday weekend and we did not receive any assistance for our
    situation during that period. I know many of you would think that we
    could/should use a public computer, however our location is pretty remote
    and isolated and computers are not on every corner, more like cornfields.
    The incidences where we did utilize a public computer was not enough to
    catch up from where we left off.
    > On the 7th of July, we finally got back online only to find that some of

    your purchase info. is/was out of order, or "lost". I have since then been
    chained to my computer trying to refund those who have requested it, trying
    to contact those who have been sending emails numerous times. I realized
    today that it will take me weeks to get back to everyone in a timely manner
    (about 920 people), so I have opted to send an mass email out. As generic
    and plastic as this is, I just want you all to know that there is someone at
    the other end who is determined to either get you your item ASAP, or get
    your money back to you. I have never intended, nor will I, keep both.
    > What I am going for now is to start again and respond to all and I strive

    to do that within the next 3 days. I ask that you please email me, Vanessa,
    and tell me whether or not you want a refund, or your item. Please email me
    your name, address, the title of your purchase(s), and the date that you
    paid for it if you would would like to receive it (or know when it was
    shipped). This alone will help me so much in getting your money back to you,
    your item to you, or informing you of when it went out (there are several
    currently en route).
    > We are still going to sell on ebay no matter what. I love ebay and even

    despite this situation, we will continue. I know a lot of you have left
    negative feedback, and I don't blame you for doing this - this is your
    money. I would have done the same thing in your shoes. We have taken a
    beating with our feedback, though. We went from 4 negative feedbacks in 2+
    years to 36 in the course of 3 days. It has been a nightmare, but I will fix
    this situation and continue selling...
    > Again, I am sorry for the awful service you have all received and I

    promise (print this out if you must) that you will either receive your
    item(s), or receive your money back. If you've actually read all of this, I
    appreciate it, and more so, any ounce of understanding and patience you
    have, or have shown with us.
    > Thank you all - I will be hearing from you soon!
    > Vanessa Smith
    > (630) 338-6458 - recently updated--call me with any questions/concerns/to

    cuss me out, whatever!

    alc, Aug 16, 2004

  2. alc

    Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:10:03 -0500, "alc" <> wrote:

    >Beware of this user,Vanessa Smith (630) 338-6458, who is no longer
    >registered with Ebay. She accepted payment from hundreds of people for DVDs,
    >claimed computer problems, and didn't send refund or merchandise.

    There is a better solution. DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!
    Ebay has turned into a place for crooks to do business, and much of
    the stuff is stolen merchandise.

    I stopped using Ebay 2 years ago, and will never use them again.

    , Aug 19, 2004

  3. alc

    SRT Guest

    "alc" <> wrote in message
    > Beware of this user,Vanessa Smith (630) 338-6458, who is no longer
    > registered with Ebay. She accepted payment from hundreds of people for

    DVDs,
    > claimed computer problems, and didn't send refund or merchandise.

    Duh, if you haven't figured it out yet, the typical ebay seller is a CROOK.
    ebay is nothing more than a safe haven for deadbeat crooks and scam artists
    that don't have the where-with-all to make a living by any other means than
    ripping people off over the internet. ebay and paypal provide this safe
    haven knowingly and don't do a SINGLE thing about it. What amazes me is
    that people continue to use the site, keeping them in operation; and that no
    class action type of lawsuits have been filed to shut the site down.

    srt

    SRT, Aug 21, 2004
  4. alc

    JWB Guest

    "SRT" <> wrote in message
    > "alc" <> wrote in message
    > > Beware of this user,Vanessa Smith (630) 338-6458, who is no longer
    > > registered with Ebay. She accepted payment from hundreds of people for

    > DVDs,
    > > claimed computer problems, and didn't send refund or merchandise.
    > >

    > Duh, if you haven't figured it out yet, the typical ebay seller is a

    CROOK.
    > ebay is nothing more than a safe haven for deadbeat crooks and scam

    artists
    > that don't have the where-with-all to make a living by any other means

    than
    > ripping people off over the internet. ebay and paypal provide this safe
    > haven knowingly and don't do a SINGLE thing about it. What amazes me is
    > that people continue to use the site, keeping them in operation; and that

    no
    > class action type of lawsuits have been filed to shut the site down.

    your ebay experience differs from mine. I have sold about 50 items, all with
    great feedback, and I've bought about 50 items, with no problems at all.
    Ebay is a great resource.

    JWB, Aug 21, 2004
  5. alc

    Guest

    and when I read the money-back"buyer guarantee" that ebay posted said
    protects buyers, it said that the money-back buyer guarantee is that
    there is not any money-back guarantee for buyers.

    , Aug 21, 2004

  7. alc

    Kent Wills Guest

    "SRT" <> wrote in message
    > "alc" <> wrote in message
    > > Beware of this user,Vanessa Smith (630) 338-6458, who is no longer
    > > registered with Ebay. She accepted payment from hundreds of people for

    > DVDs,
    > > claimed computer problems, and didn't send refund or merchandise.
    > >

    > Duh, if you haven't figured it out yet, the typical ebay seller is a

    CROOK.
    > ebay is nothing more than a safe haven for deadbeat crooks and scam

    artists
    > that don't have the where-with-all to make a living by any other means

    than
    > ripping people off over the internet. ebay and paypal provide this safe
    > haven knowingly and don't do a SINGLE thing about it. What amazes me is
    > that people continue to use the site, keeping them in operation; and that

    no
    > class action type of lawsuits have been filed to shut the site down.

    While I don't use Ebay much, I've only had one bad experience. I sent
    payment for a printer, and it never arrived. Then all E-mails were ignored.
    Not too bad, IMO.

    Kent
    --
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
    If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.

    Kent Wills, Aug 21, 2004
  8. wrote:
    > There is a better solution. DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!
    > Ebay has turned into a place for crooks to do business, and much of
    > the stuff is stolen merchandise.
    >
    > I stopped using Ebay 2 years ago, and will never use them again.

    Outside of one seller (keepitdark aka Earl Brackett) who lied to me about
    replacing a defective DVD set I bought from him, I've had no problems
    at all with eBay. Its just a matter of being careful with who you are
    dealing
    with and knowing what you are looking for.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 22, 2004
  9. alc

    Dennis M Guest

    I won't roundly condemn eBay either, but in reference to the OP, with so
    many online companies like Amazon and Deep Discount DVD offering free
    shipping on CD's and DVD's these days, I quit wasting a lot of time wading
    through the eBay listings for those items (it's not uncommon to be charged
    $5 shipping by an eBay seller for a CD/DVD they send you by Media Mail for
    about $1.75).

    Dennis M, Aug 22, 2004
  10. alc

    Roughrider50 Guest

    "Dennis M" <> wrote in message
    > I won't roundly condemn eBay either, but in reference to the OP, with so
    > many online companies like Amazon and Deep Discount DVD offering free
    > shipping on CD's and DVD's these days, I quit wasting a lot of time wading
    > through the eBay listings for those items (it's not uncommon to be charged
    > $5 shipping by an eBay seller for a CD/DVD they send you by Media Mail for
    > about $1.75).

    Not only CD's but a lot of other items are not much different in price than
    what they sell for on eBay. I'd rather spend a couple of bucks more at a
    place like Amazon for a new item than get a refurb from an unknown party for
    a couple of dollars less. As far as shipping charges a lot sellers can make
    up for a low priced sale by charging exorbitant shipping charges. I recently
    seen an item whose shipping charges were $25 for an item that at the most
    cost $5 to ship. Needless to say I passed on it. I buy a lot on Ebay & have
    gotten some great deals, but its strictly buyer beware
    --
    Roughrider50

    Roughrider50, Aug 22, 2004
  11. "Roughrider50" <> wrote:

    >"Dennis M" <> wrote in message
    >> I won't roundly condemn eBay either, but in reference to the OP, with so
    >> many online companies like Amazon and Deep Discount DVD offering free
    >> shipping on CD's and DVD's these days, I quit wasting a lot of time wading
    >> through the eBay listings for those items (it's not uncommon to be charged
    >> $5 shipping by an eBay seller for a CD/DVD they send you by Media Mail for
    >> about $1.75).

    >Not only CD's but a lot of other items are not much different in price than
    >what they sell for on eBay. I'd rather spend a couple of bucks more at a
    >place like Amazon for a new item than get a refurb from an unknown party for
    >a couple of dollars less. As far as shipping charges a lot sellers can make
    >up for a low priced sale by charging exorbitant shipping charges. I recently
    >seen an item whose shipping charges were $25 for an item that at the most
    >cost $5 to ship. Needless to say I passed on it. I buy a lot on Ebay & have
    >gotten some great deals, but its strictly buyer beware

    I've not had any fraud problems with eBay either, but I've only I've
    only purchased about a dozen or so dvd's; I've gotten dinged by high
    shipping charges once or twice but I was aware of them as it was a dvd
    I really wanted. My big complaint is that the sellers get upset when
    your money order hasn't arrived in like seconds after the auction has
    ended. One guy kept sending emails warning me that he'd not honor the
    sale if my money order didn't arrive right away (in this case, it took
    4 business days, 2 on either side of a weekend, to get the money order
    to him from Canada to the US). And then despite all the insistence on
    paying right away right now, they take forever to ship the item. The
    last instance of this was the dvd I received last friday, they
    received the money order for it at the beginning of August and only
    shipped the dvd on Aug. 15th. A small complaint, sure, compared to
    people who've lost money, but still, if they want my money that fast,
    they should ship with equal rapidity.

    I've had better speedy service buying dvd's from alapage.com in
    France, they ship immediately and it takes about 4 days to get here.

    PL

    Paul Lefebvre
    londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul Lefebvre, Aug 22, 2004
  12. alc

    Bill Guest

    Roughrider50 wrote:

    > "Dennis M" <> wrote in message
    > > I won't roundly condemn eBay either, but in reference to the OP, with so
    > > many online companies like Amazon and Deep Discount DVD offering free
    > > shipping on CD's and DVD's these days, I quit wasting a lot of time wading
    > > through the eBay listings for those items (it's not uncommon to be charged
    > > $5 shipping by an eBay seller for a CD/DVD they send you by Media Mail for
    > > about $1.75).

    > Not only CD's but a lot of other items are not much different in price than
    > what they sell for on eBay. I'd rather spend a couple of bucks more at a
    > place like Amazon for a new item than get a refurb from an unknown party for
    > a couple of dollars less. As far as shipping charges a lot sellers can make
    > up for a low priced sale by charging exorbitant shipping charges. I recently
    > seen an item whose shipping charges were $25 for an item that at the most
    > cost $5 to ship. Needless to say I passed on it. I buy a lot on Ebay & have
    > gotten some great deals, but its strictly buyer beware
    > --
    > Roughrider50

    I've been happy with my ebay purchases but they really need to
    do something about cracking down on people who charge usurious
    shipping and handling fees (and I don't mean just when people
    report it). There are generally 2 reasons why they do this: a)
    to rip off Amazon by not having to pay fees on it while
    including it in the price that they get, and b) to rip off the
    customer who may not notice that the fees are so high. Now you
    can make the case that (b) is no one's fault but the buyer, but
    ebay should certainly be interested in (a).

    Bill

    Bill, Aug 22, 2004
  13. alc

    Dennis M Guest

    In article <>, Paul Lefebvre
    <londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >...And then despite all the insistence on paying right away right
    >now, they take forever to ship the item...

    I just started unloading some VHS tapes I don't need through Amazon's
    zShops and they really expect you to be on the ball. You have to agree to
    ship within two days of their order confirmation. I've sold four tapes
    through them since signing up about three weeks ago and so far have been
    able to abide by that rule (although there are probably a lot of sellers on
    there who don't and Amazon wouldn't really have any way of tracking it).

    Dennis M, Aug 25, 2004
  14. alc

    Dave Warren Guest

    Ebay is just like buying from the classifieds.

    Its buyer beware. If you don't do your homework you get screwed.

    You don't need a computer to get screwed....

    Dave Warren, Aug 27, 2004
  15. >I've been happy with my ebay purchases but they really need to
    >do something about cracking down on people who charge usurious
    >shipping and handling fees (and I don't mean just when people
    >report it). There are generally 2 reasons why they do this: a)
    >to rip off Amazon by not having to pay fees on it while

    Amazon? How did they get into this? Are you saying Amazon owns
    Ebay?

    >including it in the price that they get, and b) to rip off the
    >customer who may not notice that the fees are so high. Now you
    >can make the case that (b) is no one's fault but the buyer, but
    >ebay should certainly be interested in (a).

    If you're going to bid on Ebay, you need to read the item descriptions.
    There are several key things you need to figure out:

    (a) What currency is the bid in? Make sure you aren't bidding in
    British Pounds when you think you are bidding US dollars.

    (b) What are the shipping charges? Typically shipping for something
    that doesn't weigh a lot but still won't fit in a 37-cent first
    class letter is about $10, which makes me wonder how buying a single
    CD or DVD is ever going to be worth it as I'm not convinced there
    is a CD or DVD with music or video on it worth more than $10 -
    especially used and as-is. If it doesn't say, ASK before bidding.
    If you don't get an answer, don't bid. Oh, yes, some sellers require
    insurance. Count this as a shipping charge. If you're in a hurry,
    look at HOW it will be shipped. Surface shipping (especially for
    shipments across large oceans) can be very slow.

    (c) Where is it being shipped FROM? International shipments tend
    to cost a lot and take forever. Oh, yes, and for DVDs there may
    be region code problems. For video equipment there may be NTSC vs.
    PAL probles and differences in what kind of power it takes. And
    getting money back from a scammer in a different country is going
    to be harder. If it's from your own state, sales tax may apply.

    (d) What are you buying? There's a BIG difference between a DVD
    player and cables for a DVD player, or a laptop vs. batteries for
    a laptop. There's a big difference between a NEW battery and a
    USED, AS-IS battery. (True, the seller might lie, but you don't
    have much recourse if the battery is listed as used, as-is, untested,
    and in unknown condition, and it's dead on arrival. You get to
    decide whether bidding $2 + $10 shipping is worth it on a battery
    that typically sells for $90 + $10 shipping on Ebay (allegedly
    new) and retails for $250. Me, I'd rather pay the $90+10. Unlike
    electronics, used batteries tend to be dead). And if you're buying
    collectables, a description referring to "a box" doesn't necessarily
    include the contents.

    Rumor has it someone started selling their garbage on Ebay during
    a garbage strike, and kept it up because it was so profitable. And
    he didn't misrepresent what it was. I suspect this is an urban
    legend, but it really doesn't matter. So if the description says
    "smelly garbage with free maggots", don't bid expecting something
    better than that.

    And don't buy someone's "virginity". Chances are they aren't
    virgins. And sellers: teenage virgins are a dime a dozen. Now,
    senior citizen virgins are extremely rare and valuable. So, if
    someone buys your virginity, do you really think they'll let you
    have sex in the next few decades?

    (e) Who are you buying from? What is their reputation? One negative
    feedback comment, or even half a dozen negatives with a thousand
    positives, doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't buy. Read the
    negative feedback. Some of it is from people expecting expert tech
    support on used routers or something, which the seller explicitly
    says he can't give. Some seems to be from chronic malcontents who
    badmouth everyone. On the other hand, complaints of taking the
    money and don't ship I take more seriously.

    (f) How do they want payment? Don't bid on something that demands
    payment via Paypal if you don't want to do Paypal. Don't be surprised
    by the statement that he'll accept personal checks but he'll wait
    for it to clear for 2 years before shipping - know about it in
    advance and either accept it or don't bid. Some sellers can't
    accept credit cards or Paypal payments made from credit cards.

    (g) How much are you willing to pay for it? Subtract the shipping
    charges, and don't bid higher than that. Also consider whether
    sales tax applies. Also consider whether you can get a new one for
    almost the same price. I tend to buy somewhat obsolete used
    electronics/computers/networking stuff for maybe $100 that currently
    costs $500 new or refurbished and maybe cost a few thousand when
    it first came out 5 years ago. Even if I get an occasional dud, I
    still get to play around with fancy equipment I couldn't otherwise
    afford, and so far I've avoided the duds. Not everything works
    like that. I see little point in buying a used DVD for $12.99 +
    $5 shipping when you can get a new one for $19.95. If more than
    half of the cost is shipping, and you aren't getting a real bargain,
    I have to wonder whether it's worth buying that type of thing at
    all.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, Aug 27, 2004
  16. alc

    Larry Bud Guest

    "SRT" <> wrote in message news:<bcJVc.31052$>...
    > "alc" <> wrote in message
    > > Beware of this user,Vanessa Smith (630) 338-6458, who is no longer
    > > registered with Ebay. She accepted payment from hundreds of people for

    > DVDs,
    > > claimed computer problems, and didn't send refund or merchandise.
    > >

    > Duh, if you haven't figured it out yet, the typical ebay seller is a CROOK.

    What nonsense. "Typical"? That means more than 50%. Well, maybe I'm
    just lucky, because in the 3 years and 80 things I've bought on ebay,
    I've never been ripped off.

    Larry Bud, Aug 27, 2004
  17. (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

    <snip>
    >(b) What are the shipping charges? Typically shipping for something
    >that doesn't weigh a lot but still won't fit in a 37-cent first
    >class letter is about $10, which makes me wonder how buying a single
    >CD or DVD is ever going to be worth it as I'm not convinced there
    >is a CD or DVD with music or video on it worth more than $10 -
    >especially used and as-is.

    <snip>

    I beg to disagree about your typical postage charges: the several
    dvd's I've recently received have each had $1.65 postage, these are
    single dvd's in their case in plain ordinary manilla envelopes.
    (However, I've been charged up to 8$ for postage. :( )

    Paul Lefebvre, Aug 27, 2004
  18. Dave Warren <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Ebay is just like buying from the classifieds.
    >
    > Its buyer beware. If you don't do your homework you get screwed.
    >
    > You don't need a computer to get screwed....
    >
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 06:22:37 -0500, wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:10:03 -0500, "alc" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Beware of this user,Vanessa Smith (630) 338-6458, who is no longer
    > >>registered with Ebay. She accepted payment from hundreds of people for DVDs,
    > >>claimed computer problems, and didn't send refund or merchandise.
    > >>

    > >There is a better solution. DO NOT USE EBAY !!!!
    > >Ebay has turned into a place for crooks to do business, and much of
    > >the stuff is stolen merchandise.
    > >
    > >I stopped using Ebay 2 years ago, and will never use them again.

    I bought a DVD (James Bond) from Ebay from a super seller?
    Astrovideo and within two days I got the movie brand new
    and sealed.

    Nick

    Nicolas The Great, Aug 28, 2004
  19. alc

    Kevin Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Nicolas The Great <> wrote:
    > I bought a DVD (James Bond) from Ebay from a super seller?
    > Astrovideo and within two days I got the movie brand new
    > and sealed.

    Clearly, the whole point of this thread is "caveat emptor". There are good,
    there are bad -- just like anywhere else in real life.

    There are, occasionally, some things that I wonder if they're legitimate or
    not. Like a guy I sold a piece of electronic equipment to over eBay, who
    about a month after the transaction tried to file a complaint that the unit
    was broken from the day he received it. Lucky for me it was past 30 days
    since the Paypal transaction, and Paypal's official policy -- I got this
    in email -- was that I was free to disregard the complaint since it had been
    longer than 30 days. I did the right thing and emailed the guy, and gave
    him my phone number to call me, at which point he gave me this sob story
    about how it had never worked from the day he got it, and he sent it to a
    repair facility in Texas which wanted to charge him $300 for repairs, and
    if he had known it would cost this much, he would have bought a brand new
    one. What was I to do? I offered him a goodwill gesture of $50 back, and
    we called it even. I still have no idea if he was trying to scam me or
    what.

    Kevin, Aug 28, 2004
  20. alc

    Kent Wills Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.video.dvd Nicolas The Great <> wrote:
    > > I bought a DVD (James Bond) from Ebay from a super seller?
    > > Astrovideo and within two days I got the movie brand new
    > > and sealed.

    > Clearly, the whole point of this thread is "caveat emptor". There are

    good,
    > there are bad -- just like anywhere else in real life.
    >
    > There are, occasionally, some things that I wonder if they're legitimate

    or
    > not. Like a guy I sold a piece of electronic equipment to over eBay, who
    > about a month after the transaction tried to file a complaint that the

    unit
    > was broken from the day he received it. Lucky for me it was past 30 days
    > since the Paypal transaction, and Paypal's official policy -- I got this
    > in email -- was that I was free to disregard the complaint since it had

    been
    > longer than 30 days. I did the right thing and emailed the guy, and gave
    > him my phone number to call me, at which point he gave me this sob story
    > about how it had never worked from the day he got it, and he sent it to a
    > repair facility in Texas which wanted to charge him $300 for repairs, and
    > if he had known it would cost this much, he would have bought a brand new
    > one. What was I to do? I offered him a goodwill gesture of $50 back, and
    > we called it even. I still have no idea if he was trying to scam me or
    > what.

    Just a guess on my part, of course, but I would think after such a long
    wait, he probably broke it. After all, why would he send it to a repair
    facility before contacting you? If it arrived DOA, most everyone else would
    have written the seller about it.

    Kent

    Kent Wills, Aug 28, 2004