    --
    These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
    http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka
    dwacôn, Sep 25, 2005

  2. dwacôn

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:47:00 -0400, dwacôn wrote:

    >My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone told

    The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?

    Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
    settings / distance / obstructions.

    >me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help direct the
    >signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in it, is this true?
    >Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in advance.

    www.google.com

    There are all sorts of different areial, range extenders, flatenna , lan
    antennas, wifi homemade antenna , boosting wireless signal.

    All of the above work well in a google search.

    There are quite a few site with homemade and commercial products.

    Me
    why?, Sep 25, 2005

  3. dwacôn

    Toolman Tim Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:47:00 -0400, dwacôn wrote:
    >
    >> My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception.
    >> Someone told

    > The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?
    >
    > Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
    > settings / distance / obstructions.

    You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

    <snip>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 25, 2005
  4. dwacôn

    Scraggy Guest

    dwacôn wrote:
    > My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone
    > told me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help
    > direct the signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in
    > it, is this true? Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in
    > advance.

    Google for Cantenna.
    members. Groucho Marx
    Scraggy, Sep 25, 2005
  5. dwacôn wrote:
    > My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone told
    > me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help direct the
    > signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in it, is this true?
    > Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in advance.

    http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
    This is probably what your friend was thinking of, certainly not as
    simple as placing a wire strainer around the antenna, although
    theoretically that might help. More reliable research has been done with
    WiFi reflectors. Google that up. Or go to www.freeantennas.com
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 26, 2005
  6. dwacôn

    dwacôn Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > why? wrote:
    >> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:47:00 -0400, dwacôn wrote:
    >>
    >>> My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception.
    >>> Someone told

    >> The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?
    >>
    >> Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
    >> settings / distance / obstructions.

    > You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

    Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG FEET who
    paces her floor at night.

    Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the antenna in
    the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16% and could not
    connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the quadrant of the first
    floor where the receiver is. Monitoring signal shows it wavering between
    28% andf 26%.

    There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard that can
    interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear" with a grain of
    salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).

    Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

    --
    Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
    www.cafepress.com/dwacon
    dwacôn, Sep 26, 2005
  7. dwacôn

    Toolman Tim Guest

    dwacôn wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?
    >>>
    >>> Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
    >>> settings / distance / obstructions.

    >> You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

    > Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG
    > FEET who paces her floor at night.
    >
    > Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the
    > antenna in the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16%
    > and could not connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the
    > quadrant of the first floor where the receiver is. Monitoring signal
    > shows it wavering between 28% andf 26%.
    >
    > There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard that
    > can interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear" with a
    > grain of salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).
    >
    > Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

    I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and especially
    if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any way to relocate the
    router?

    Toolman Tim, Sep 27, 2005
  8. dwacôn

    > dwacôn wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

    >> Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG
    >> FEET who paces her floor at night.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the
    >> antenna in the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16%
    >> and could not connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the
    >> quadrant of the first floor where the receiver is. Monitoring signal
    >> shows it wavering between 28% andf 26%.
    >>
    >> There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard that
    >> can interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear" with a
    >> grain of salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).
    >>
    >> Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

    > I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and especially
    > if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any way to relocate
    > the router?

    I could go out and buy a 100 foot RJ-45 cable and snake the router down the
    staircase...

    dwacôn, Sep 27, 2005
  9. dwacôn

    Toolman Tim Guest

    dwacôn wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> dwacôn wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG
    >>> FEET who paces her floor at night.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the
    >>> antenna in the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16%
    >>> and could not connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the
    >>> quadrant of the first floor where the receiver is. Monitoring
    >>> signal shows it wavering between 28% andf 26%.
    >>>
    >>> There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard
    >>> that can interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear"
    >>> with a grain of salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).
    >>>
    >>> Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

    >> I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and
    >> especially if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any
    >> way to relocate the router?

    > I could go out and buy a 100 foot RJ-45 cable and snake the router
    > down the staircase...

    Hee hee - sounds like my place! Used to have a 50 footer to the back room
    that I had to roll up every time people came to visit ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 28, 2005
  10. dwacôn

    > dwacôn wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and
    >>> especially if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any
    >>> way to relocate the router?

    >> I could go out and buy a 100 foot RJ-45 cable and snake the router
    >> down the staircase...

    > Hee hee - sounds like my place! Used to have a 50 footer to the back room
    > that I had to roll up every time people came to visit ;o)

    Well, I just ordered a D-Link ANT24-0801 Mid Gain Antenna -- that shud solve
    the problem. I hope.

    --
    For DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES only...
    http://tinyurl.com/aqszm