    available?

    TIA

    Peter

    Peter, May 18, 2009

  2. Peter

    El Penguino Guest

    On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:41:35 +1200, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >In article <4a10f043$>,
    > Peter <> wrote:
    >
    >> What products are there that can run PC videos on a TV?
    >> I'm looking for a device that will connect on a home LAN, and get video from
    >> either other PCs at home or from the net. Also want this to record to hard
    >> disk, and have a tuner for Freeview dish, and play / write DVDs.
    >> And it needs to be quiet, not too big, and a stylish container would be nice
    >> too. A PC running MythTV or similar probably provides the functionality,
    >> but I wonder if there is something ready made and better looking to go in
    >> the lounge.

    I am thinking along the same lines.
    i already have the client end - a hacked xbox with xbox media centre,
    works a treat with the MS remote control - even her indoors can use
    it.

    But, it wont play HD content , I think you need XB 360 for that.

    And for server end, I want to move to PC with tuner card.
    Not sure how I will make programming recording easy for all concerned
    yet.....

    El Penguino, May 18, 2009

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    whoisthis wrote:

    > Mac Mini with a TV tuner, Small, Quiet, functional.

    What sort of TV tuner could be used with a Mac mini?
    There doesn't seem to be one among the standard Apple accessories
    http://www.apple.com/nz/macmini/accessories.html
    and I need one that works with Freeview satellite dish.

    TIA

    Peter

    Peter, May 18, 2009
  4. Peter

    David Empson Guest

    Peter <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > >
    > > Mac Mini with a TV tuner, Small, Quiet, functional.

    > What sort of TV tuner could be used with a Mac mini?

    EyeTV Hybrid or EyeTV 250 Plus from ElGato

    http://www.elgato.com

    (choose the European side to see the potential models, but only the
    above two are readily available in New Zealand).

    I'm using an EyeTV Hybrid on my Mac Mini to get Freeview HD
    (terrestrial) in digital from a set-top UHF antenna - no decoder
    required.

    > There doesn't seem to be one among the standard Apple accessories
    > http://www.apple.com/nz/macmini/accessories.html
    > and I need one that works with Freeview satellite dish.

    For Freeview satellite, you would have to record the analogue output of
    the decoder and can't change channels from the computer, which severely
    limits its usability.

    ElGato used to supply satellite tuners for use in the US, but I doubt
    any of them would work with Freeview.

    Some kind of mechanism which transmitted IR signals and could change
    channels on the decoder might be an option, but I haven't heard of
    anything like that for a Mac.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 18, 2009
  5. Peter

    grum Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > What products are there that can run PC videos on a TV?
    > I'm looking for a device that will connect on a home LAN, and get video from
    > either other PCs at home or from the net. Also want this to record to hard
    > disk, and have a tuner for Freeview dish, and play / write DVDs.
    > And it needs to be quiet, not too big, and a stylish container would be nice
    > too. A PC running MythTV or similar probably provides the functionality,
    > but I wonder if there is something ready made and better looking to go in
    > the lounge.
    >
    > Seems Apple TV does some of this, but maybe there is something better
    > available?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Peter

    This looks interesting:
    www.tvix.co.nz

    No DVD drive (but physical media is SO last year) and pricey (from these
    guys anyway), but interesting in that it is a network media player that
    also has a NZ Freeview tuner and PVR capability built in. I hadn't seen
    that combination before.

    Otherwise I'd vote for the Mac mini or a hacked Apple TV.
    On second thoughts,I think I might vote for 2 purpose built boxes -
    media player (Popcorn Hour etc) plus Freeview PVR (eg Hyundai AH-3110).

    Plus a multifunction remote :)
    grum

    grum, May 20, 2009