    and laggy.

    Is there anyway to make it stop compresing it and just send it as is? Removing
    the excessive buffering would be good too.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > When I remote desktop to another windows XP machine here, the sound
    > is awefull, and laggy.
    >
    > Is there anyway to make it stop compresing it and just send it as is?

    Er.. yeah. If your internet connection was several megabits per second you
    could send it uncompressed. Not reccomended though.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:51:11 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >> When I remote desktop to another windows XP machine here, the sound is
    >> awefull, and laggy.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to make it stop compresing it and just send it as is?

    > Er.. yeah. If your internet connection was several megabits per second you
    > could send it uncompressed. Not reccomended though.

    Who mentioned the internet? ;)

    The word 'here' in the first sentence even suggests LAN to me. And no I
    have no idea how to solve it - sorry.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 28, 2003
  4. >>When I remote desktop to another windows XP machine here, the sound
    >>is awefull, and laggy.
    >>
    >>Is there anyway to make it stop compresing it and just send it as is?

    > Er.. yeah. If your internet connection was several megabits per second you
    > could send it uncompressed. Not reccomended though.

    Considering I can play video fullscreen almost perfectly via RDP I dont think
    there is a bandwidth issue between downstairs and upstairs. Perhaps upgrading to
    gigabit may help with those few dropped frames :) They really should add the
    ability to set an overlay surface up remotely however.. 48Khz 16 bit stereo is
    less then 2 megabit, I dont think it will have a hard time over a lan that
    regulary carrys 30-40 times that for hours on end..

    I would just rather play MP3s on the machine they are on so I can use all the
    neat playlists in media player that it makes.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >>> When I remote desktop to another windows XP machine here, the sound
    >>> is awefull, and laggy.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway to make it stop compresing it and just send it as
    >>> is?

    >> Er.. yeah. If your internet connection was several megabits per
    >> second you could send it uncompressed. Not reccomended though.

    > Considering I can play video fullscreen almost perfectly via RDP I
    > dont think there is a bandwidth issue between downstairs and
    > upstairs. Perhaps upgrading to gigabit may help with those few
    > dropped frames :)

    Ah, oops :).

    > I would just rather play MP3s on the machine they are on so I can use
    > all the neat playlists in media player that it makes.

    Well, you could run a sound cable from the line out to your line in.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" wrote
    > When I remote desktop to another windows XP machine here, the sound is

    awefull,
    > and laggy.
    > Is there anyway to make it stop compresing it and just send it as is?

    Removing
    > the excessive buffering would be good too.

    Can I ask why you want it enabled at all?

    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  7. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > > I would just rather play MP3s on the machine they are on so I can use
    > > all the neat playlists in media player that it makes.

    > Well, you could run a sound cable from the line out to your line in.

    Or, seeing as your only using 2 of the 4 pairs, re-jig the LAN cable...

    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  8. T.N.O. wrote:

    > Can I ask why you want it enabled at all?

    All the MP3s and playlists are on one machine, Media player makes usefull
    playlists like stuff I havent listened to in ages, but there is no way to carry
    that to another machine.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 29, 2003