    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Jan 11, 2013

  2. Ron

    Alex Monro Guest

    Ron wrote:

    > Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
    > has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
    > quality?

    I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
    Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
    ahead of the sensor in the D90.

    See DXOmark:
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-
    cameras-side-by-
    side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

    --
    Alex Monro
    Exeter, UK

    Alex Monro, Jan 11, 2013

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Alex Monro <> wrote:

    > Ron wrote:
    >
    > > Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
    > > has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
    > > quality?
    > >

    > I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
    > Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
    > ahead of the sensor in the D90.
    >
    > See DXOmark:
    > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-
    > cameras-side-by-
    > side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

    Wow, great comparison tool. Thanks.
    --
    _____________________________
    Ron, the humblest guy in town

    Ron, Jan 11, 2013
  4. Ron

    Mort Guest

    Alex Monro wrote:
    > Ron wrote:
    >
    >> Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
    >> has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
    >> quality?
    >>

    > I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
    > Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
    > ahead of the sensor in the D90.
    >
    > See DXOmark:
    > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-
    > cameras-side-by-
    > side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

    Hi,

    I clicked onto your link and go an on-screen message, "module not
    found". Is your link correct? Is there another link to that comparison site?

    Thanks.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Jan 12, 2013
  5. d (Ron) writes:

    > Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
    > has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
    > quality?

    They're far enough apart in time that you can near-certainly choose the
    newer one. Especially since they're in vaguely similar parts of the
    product line.

    So that should be the D5100.

    (D5200 just got released in the US this week I believe.)
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 12, 2013
  6. Ron

    Mort Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-11 17:34:13 -0800, Mort <> said:
    >
    >> Alex Monro wrote:

    >>> I believe the D5100 uses the Sony IMX071 sensor, as also used in the
    >>> Pentax K5, Sony A570 & NEX 5N and many others, and at least a generation
    >>> ahead of the sensor in the D90.
    >>>
    >>> See DXOmark:
    >>> http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-
    >>> cameras-side-by-
    >>> side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon
    >>>

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I clicked onto your link and go an on-screen message, "module not
    >> found". Is your link correct? Is there another link to that comparison
    >> site?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Mort Linder

    > That is a somewhat fractured URL.
    > It is always best to contain pasted long URL's like so:
    > <
    > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/439|0/(brand2)/Nikon
    >

    > or use a shortener such as TinyURL;
    >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/d6b3nmz >

    Thanks a lot. Your shortened tinyurl link worked nicely.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Jan 12, 2013
  7. Ron

    Rob Guest

    On 12/01/2013 4:11 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > d (Ron) writes:
    >
    >> Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
    >> has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
    >> quality?

    > They're far enough apart in time that you can near-certainly choose the
    > newer one. Especially since they're in vaguely similar parts of the
    > product line.
    >
    > So that should be the D5100.
    >
    > (D5200 just got released in the US this week I believe.)

    Do you need the 5100 (or 5200) quite a few have bought the 3200 (22MP)
    and shoing great results. This is even cheaper that the D90.

    Rob, Jan 22, 2013