better lens for P&S ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Panno Zhai, May 3, 2006.

  1. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    I would like to choose a point & shoot camera with maybe 5 MP with a
    good lens.

    In 1999 at work, I used the camera Sony DSC-F505,
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscf505.asp .
    It had only 2 MP resolution, but the lens was big and good. I was
    impressed with the quality of the shots.

    Recently I bought the modern digital camera Kodak EasyShare C330,
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_c330.asp .
    It has 4 MP resolution, and a crappy small 3x zoom lens. On the whole,
    the quality of shots is not as good as was from the Sony. I would like
    to by a better P&S digital camera of the same format, but with a better
    lens. Something maybe of the kind of Canon PowerShot A620. (I want to
    be able to do good-quality pictures in a dark room, or do zoom pictures
    in a slightly dark room. And I want to do the pictures of people and
    objects without distortion. My current Kodak is not good for that.)

    So, the question to the knowledgeable auditorium -- how do I determine
    if the lens is good enough when I am looking at the spec of the camera
    ? What are the parameters I should be looking at -- speed of lens, lens
    diameter, the largest-sized diaphragm or what ? Thanks.

    \/.
    Panno Zhai, May 3, 2006

  2. On 3 May 2006 03:31:09 -0700, Panno Zhai <> wrote:
    > So, the question to the knowledgeable auditorium -- how do I determine
    > if the lens is good enough when I am looking at the spec of the camera
    > ? What are the parameters I should be looking at -- speed of lens, lens
    > diameter, the largest-sized diaphragm or what ? Thanks.

    Best way is to look at a detailed review, at dpreview.com,
    steves-digicams.com, or similar. The reviewer will look at lens
    distortion, sharpness, and other things that matter but won't show up in
    a spec sheet.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, May 3, 2006

  3. Panno Zhai

    m Ransley Guest

    I bought a Sony W5 basicly because a review I read said "at 100asa
    shots were comparable to a 20d" Ive been happy with it for scene shots,
    since my regular compared camera was an A1 with Aspherical lenses and I
    would always shoot slow speed film or Kodachrome. I am suprised at the
    quality I get. But for flash, and other ways it has limitations. Read
    reviews, DPreview will state in "conclusion" the sharpness of the
    camera lens tested and their overall opinion of the cameras photos.
    There are alot of good P&S out, just pick what is right for you,
    although P&S have limitations by picking the right one and with proper
    use you can do well. I bought a 5mp, but after using cropping I wish I
    would have gotten the W7. The new sonys are better in ISO but are not AA
    and use Duo stick with will not accept regular Memory stick. Read
    reviews, basiicly all I read at dpreview is the " conclusion" of their
    test.
    m Ransley, May 3, 2006
  4. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    m Ransley wrote:
    > Read
    > reviews, DPreview will state in "conclusion" the sharpness of the
    > camera lens tested and their overall opinion of the cameras photos.

    I read dpreview, however I cannot relate the users' opininions to my
    situation. The users mat rave about a particular feature (e.g.
    sharpness), but if I follow their recommendations and buy the camera,
    then it may well trun out that the camera is not sharp enough for me,
    or the camera is saddled with the other features which are far from
    good.

    So far, I tried a 2-year Canon at work, and I like the feeling. I found
    a camera on dpreview, Canon A700 which is so new that it has not being
    on some markets yet. The users say the camera is a big improvement over
    the previous cameras... how good it is now, I do not know. I like it
    has a big lens. The general rule I think is the bigger the lens the
    better the quality of pictures (less gariny because enough of light is
    coming in, less distortion etc). It costs around $300.

    Canon actually released the camera SD700 IS, which is the first P&S
    camera from Canon with image stabilisation. This is a "premium" P&S
    kind of camera, and it has some more advanced features. Though, its
    lens is smaller than the lens of A700, and the zoom iz x3 instead of x6
    as in the camera above. It costs around $400. Well, I just have to play
    with 'em when they come to the market, and see for myself if they are
    any good. And, of course, the first thing which I can do is to check
    the images taken by this camera by the other users and placed on the
    Internet.

    \/
    Panno Zhai, May 4, 2006
  5. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    Well I read more reviews on Canon A700 which I liked by the
    description. It appears that the memory card (SD) and the batteries
    (2xAA) are under the same hatch. If you open the hatch to access SD
    card, the batteries pop out, too. I like to take SD card often (and put
    it into the PC). Thus, I do not want to buy this camera for this reason
    only. Although, the reviewers say that the shutter lag is very small --
    shorter than in any other camera of this class. Short shutter lag is
    one of the most important features I need. Perhaps, I should wait
    another year or two before they release the improvement of A700.

    \/
    Panno Zhai, May 5, 2006
  6. Panno Zhai

    David Harper Guest

    "Panno Zhai" <> wrote in message

    > If you open the hatch to access SD
    > card, the batteries pop out, too.

    In the same way that all the sugar will fall out of the sugar bowl if you
    open it upside-down. Don't do that!

    - David Harper
    David Harper, May 5, 2006
  7. Panno Zhai

    m Ransley Guest

    That is a poor reason to eliminate a very good camera and normal design,
    you won`t loose the batteries since you won`t be opening it upside down,
    I havn`t had mine fall out yet.
    m Ransley, May 5, 2006
  8. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    m Ransley wrote:
    > That is a poor reason to eliminate a very good camera and normal design,
    > you won`t loose the batteries since you won`t be opening it upside down,
    > I havn`t had mine fall out yet.

    Such a feature limits my choices. For example, in the current camera I
    have (Kodak C330), I can take the SD card and continue shooting. The
    camera still have supply of electrical energy because the batteries are
    in another compartment under a different hatch. The camera simply
    switches from the external SD card (which is removed) to the internal
    memory.

    You may ask why I need this. For example, I play with the camera, take
    pictures at different regimes and examine their quality on the LCD. And
    my girlfriend asks me to give her the SD card from which she wants to
    download pictures on her PC.

    \/
    Panno Zhai, May 6, 2006
  9. Panno Zhai

    l e o Guest

    Panno Zhai wrote:
    > m Ransley wrote:
    >> That is a poor reason to eliminate a very good camera and normal design,
    >> you won`t loose the batteries since you won`t be opening it upside down,
    >> I havn`t had mine fall out yet.

    > Such a feature limits my choices. For example, in the current camera I
    > have (Kodak C330), I can take the SD card and continue shooting. The
    > camera still have supply of electrical energy because the batteries are
    > in another compartment under a different hatch. The camera simply
    > switches from the external SD card (which is removed) to the internal
    > memory.
    >
    > You may ask why I need this. For example, I play with the camera, take
    > pictures at different regimes and examine their quality on the LCD. And
    > my girlfriend asks me to give her the SD card from which she wants to
    > download pictures on her PC.

    The buy an extra memory card. My 20D doesn't have internal memory so if
    I forget to bring along one memory card and I won't even be able to take
    a single picture. Should I get rid of it? :)
    l e o, May 6, 2006
  10. Panno Zhai

    m Ransley Guest

    Opening the battery cover to remove a card is a saftey feature,
    removing a card with power on can ruin a cards data.
    m Ransley, May 7, 2006
  11. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    m Ransley wrote:
    > Opening the battery cover to remove a card is a saftey feature,
    > removing a card with power on can ruin a cards data.

    It seems to me that your answer is unsubstantiated. If the camera is
    not writing the data, I can remove the SD card without ruining data
    regardless of the camera being powered up or not.

    The data on the card can equally be ruined when the camera is writing
    the data to the card and at the same time I power the camera down e.g.
    by opening the combined card/battery cover. When the battery
    compartment hatch is open, the AA batteries are not connected to the
    camera anymore (I presume).
    Panno Zhai, May 7, 2006
  12. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    Panno Zhai, May 7, 2006
  13. Panno Zhai

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>,
    Panno Zhai <> writes

    >m Ransley wrote:
    >> Opening the battery cover to remove a card is a saftey feature,
    >> removing a card with power on can ruin a cards data.

    >It seems to me that your answer is unsubstantiated. If the camera is
    >not writing the data, I can remove the SD card without ruining data
    >regardless of the camera being powered up or not.

    >The data on the card can equally be ruined when the camera is writing
    >the data to the card and at the same time I power the camera down e.g.
    >by opening the combined card/battery cover. When the battery
    >compartment hatch is open, the AA batteries are not connected to the
    >camera anymore (I presume).

    If there are contacts on the back of the battery door then yes, it will
    almost certainly damage the data, such a design is incompetent. With my
    350D opening either the battery or memory doors causes the camera to
    shut down, presumably writing the buffer to the card first, I doubt that
    I could extract either the battery or CF card before the camera has made
    it safe to do so. Unfortunately this is not true of my Dimage Xt,
    although the time it takes to open and extract either would probably
    allow completion of writing to the SD card.
    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, May 7, 2006
  14. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    Canon A700 is a good P&S camera. It has the features (according to the
    specifications and user reviews) which I value and which the other
    cameras do not have:

    -- Short shutter lag;
    -- Sensitivity (good quality of pictures in the dark);
    -- Crisp pictures.

    The only feature which I highly value and it does not have is the
    "image stabilisation" (IS). Alas. I wonder if the next release of this
    camera will have IS ...
    Panno Zhai, May 7, 2006