    Thom Tapp
    Church of the Covered Dish
    http://www.cotcd.com

    Thom Tapp, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Thom Tapp

    Beck Guest

    "Thom Tapp" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
    > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed at
    > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
    > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
    > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out of
    > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
    >
    > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no vested
    > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the group.
    > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review of
    > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

    I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
    concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already have
    the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer. This is
    a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film photography.

    Beck, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Thom Tapp

    Anoni Moose Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message news:<cft5dj$jqf$>...
    > "Thom Tapp" <> wrote in message
    > > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
    > > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed at
    > > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
    > > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
    > > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out of
    > > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
    > >
    > > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no vested
    > > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the group.
    > > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review of
    > > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

    > I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
    > concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already have
    > the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer. This is
    > a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film photography.

    I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
    (and like it).

    Mike

    Anoni Moose, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Thom Tapp

    Anoni Moose, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Thom Tapp

    Anoni Moose, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Thom Tapp

    Anoni Moose, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Thom Tapp

    Beck Guest

    > > "Thom Tapp" <> wrote in message
    > > > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
    > > > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed

    at
    > > > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
    > > > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
    > > > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out

    of
    > > > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
    > > >
    > > > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no

    vested
    > > > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the

    group.
    > > > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old review

    of
    > > > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

    > > I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of magazines
    > > concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I already

    have
    > > the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer.

    This is
    > > a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film

    photography.

    > I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
    > (and like it).

    Crikey Mike, your news server is playing up :)

    Beck, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Thom Tapp

    Mark B. Guest

    > > "Thom Tapp" <> wrote in message
    > > > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
    > > > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm

    amazed at
    > > > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines!

    Whereas
    > > > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader

    with
    > > > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags

    out of
    > > > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!
    > > >
    > > > I am just an amateur photographer, with a fuji S1 camera, and have no

    vested
    > > > interest in the magazine, just wanted to share my experience with the

    group.
    > > > I'm sure there are others out there who get tired of the same old

    review of
    > > > bells and whistles, and want some "meat!"

    > > I am in the UK and have found the same problem as you. Lots of

    magazines
    > > concentrate on hardware, but I want to know about techniques as I

    already have
    > > the hardware. One magazine I do sometimes buy is Amateur Photographer.

    This is
    > > a weekly publication and gives great tutorials on digital and film

    photography.

    > I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
    > (and like it).

    You must've seen it at least 3 times.

    Mark B., Aug 18, 2004
  9. Thom Tapp

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Thom Tapp" <> wrote in message
    > I live in the U.S. but I have found the magazine "Better Digital
    > Photography" (A U.K. Publication,) at a local book store, and I'm amazed

    at
    > the difference between this publication and most U.S. magazines! Whereas
    > most U.S. magazines focus on equipment, BDP really helps the reader with
    > hands-on instruction and examples. To me, BDP blows all the U.S. mags out

    of
    > the water! If you are looking for a good learning tool, this is it!

    The U.S. magazines you refer to, presumably
    _Popular Photography_, make their money on
    camera advertising. Selling hardware is what
    they're all about.

    That's not a criticism. We need magazines like
    that too. In fact, if you look at the postings in this
    newsgroup you'll find a large number asking for
    hardware recommendations.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Thom Tapp

    Thom Tapp Guest

    Actually, I like the U.S. magazines too. I am just refreshed to find a
    magazine that focuses on USING the camera. Just about every magazine in the
    U.S. is like Pop Photo, and I haven't found one like Better Digital
    Photography. I noticed a LOT of advertising even in BDP, but the emphasis
    was on how to USE your camera to best advantage.

    I'll still get Pop Photo and Shutterbug, but now I have a good mix!

    --
    Thom Tapp
    Church of the Covered Dish

    Thom Tapp, Aug 18, 2004
  11. Thom Tapp

    Scott Guest

    So you're saying you like it?

    Scott, Aug 19, 2004
  12. Thom Tapp

    Anoni Moose Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    > > I think I've seen that one at local (in the U.S.) bookstores as well
    > > (and like it).

    > Crikey Mike, your news server is playing up :)

    Yup, Google was hiccupping. I'm posting through google and instead
    of the confirmation page it was just timing out... so I clicked
    "post" again until they showed the "sent" page. Obviously it was
    taking my posting but not telling me that it did. :)

    "Sorry about that".

    Mike

    P.S. - In case anyone hasn't figured it out, my "name/email" is an
    anti-spam effort. I already get 300~400 a day to my "real"
    email address as it is. sigh....

    Anoni Moose, Aug 20, 2004
  13. Thom Tapp wrote:

    >Actually, I like the U.S. magazines too. I am just refreshed to find a
    >magazine that focuses on USING the camera. Just about every magazine in the
    >U.S. is like Pop Photo, and I haven't found one like Better Digital
    >Photography. I noticed a LOT of advertising even in BDP, but the emphasis
    >was on how to USE your camera to best advantage.
    >
    >I'll still get Pop Photo and Shutterbug, but now I have a good mix!

    Outdoor Photography is fairly decent in hands on how-to articles. just not
    enough depth in my opinion. still, some really gorgeous photography and
    articles.

    fwiw

    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Aug 21, 2004