    diameter, very sharp, ). Also the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM which is
    probably overkill for my EOS 550D - heavy and expensive lens > $860.

    Any recommendations?"

    Rob, Jul 3, 2012

  2. Rob

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:21:28 +1000, Rob <> wrote:

    >Friend has a Canon 550D camera and would like to buy a new lens.
    >
    >Quote:
    >
    >"I'm thinking of buying a new all purpose lens. I feel my Canon EFS
    >18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens is not that great. I'm looking at the EFS
    >17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM (cheap > $340, maybe not much better than what I
    >already have) or EFS 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (dear > $600, large
    >diameter, very sharp, ). Also the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM which is
    >probably overkill for my EOS 550D - heavy and expensive lens > $860.
    >
    >Any recommendations?"

    Depends...

    The 15-85mm is excellent, but is heavy compared to the kit lens. Also,
    it is slow, and is expensive (but less if bought with a body).

    The 18-135mm has terrific zoom range, for which it trades off optical
    performance.

    The 17-55mm is a wonderful lens and could be the right choice if you
    need good low light performance. But it is expensive and double the
    weight of the 18-55mm lens.

    There's a lot to be said for the 18-55mm kit lens because performance
    is adequate, it is cheap, and it is very light... the best choice for
    roaming around all day in interesting new places.

    So your friend should prioritize weight, reach, optical performance,
    cost, and low light performance.

    Wally, Jul 3, 2012

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 4/07/2012 6:22 AM, Wally wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:21:28 +1000, Rob <> wrote:
    >
    >> Friend has a Canon 550D camera and would like to buy a new lens.
    >>
    >> Quote:
    >>
    >> "I'm thinking of buying a new all purpose lens. I feel my Canon EFS
    >> 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens is not that great. I'm looking at the EFS
    >> 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM (cheap > $340, maybe not much better than what I
    >> already have) or EFS 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (dear > $600, large
    >> diameter, very sharp, ). Also the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM which is
    >> probably overkill for my EOS 550D - heavy and expensive lens > $860.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?"

    > Depends...
    >
    > The 15-85mm is excellent, but is heavy compared to the kit lens. Also,
    > it is slow, and is expensive (but less if bought with a body).
    >
    > The 18-135mm has terrific zoom range, for which it trades off optical
    > performance.
    >
    > The 17-55mm is a wonderful lens and could be the right choice if you
    > need good low light performance. But it is expensive and double the
    > weight of the 18-55mm lens.
    >
    > There's a lot to be said for the 18-55mm kit lens because performance
    > is adequate, it is cheap, and it is very light... the best choice for
    > roaming around all day in interesting new places.
    >
    > So your friend should prioritize weight, reach, optical performance,
    > cost, and low light performance.

    Thanks

    I sort of know which lenses suit myself or wander out with a specific
    lens. I have used Nikon many years which enables me to suck up that
    information. lenses v's performance. My GP lens is the 24-120 has been
    for many years now.

    As for Canon they have so many lenses in the GP lens bracket I would not
    have the slightest, what to pick.

    Rob, Jul 4, 2012
  4. Rob

    Wally Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:31:55 +1000, Rob <> wrote:

    >On 4/07/2012 6:22 AM, Wally wrote:
    >> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:21:28 +1000, Rob <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Friend has a Canon 550D camera and would like to buy a new lens.
    >>>
    >>> Quote:
    >>>
    >>> "I'm thinking of buying a new all purpose lens. I feel my Canon EFS
    >>> 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens is not that great. I'm looking at the EFS
    >>> 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM (cheap > $340, maybe not much better than what I
    >>> already have) or EFS 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (dear > $600, large
    >>> diameter, very sharp, ). Also the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM which is
    >>> probably overkill for my EOS 550D - heavy and expensive lens > $860.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations?"

    >> Depends...
    >>
    >> The 15-85mm is excellent, but is heavy compared to the kit lens. Also,
    >> it is slow, and is expensive (but less if bought with a body).
    >>
    >> The 18-135mm has terrific zoom range, for which it trades off optical
    >> performance.
    >>
    >> The 17-55mm is a wonderful lens and could be the right choice if you
    >> need good low light performance. But it is expensive and double the
    >> weight of the 18-55mm lens.
    >>
    >> There's a lot to be said for the 18-55mm kit lens because performance
    >> is adequate, it is cheap, and it is very light... the best choice for
    >> roaming around all day in interesting new places.
    >>
    >> So your friend should prioritize weight, reach, optical performance,
    >> cost, and low light performance.

    >Thanks
    >
    >I sort of know which lenses suit myself or wander out with a specific
    >lens. I have used Nikon many years which enables me to suck up that
    >information. lenses v's performance. My GP lens is the 24-120 has been
    >for many years now.
    >
    >As for Canon they have so many lenses in the GP lens bracket I would not
    >have the slightest, what to pick.

    Well, the 24-120 is a 35mm format lens. For DX, it has no wide angle.
    Might be suitable for you though if you don't use WA very often (or if
    you use a FF camera).

    I often go out with just the 100-400mm on the camera -- shooting birds
    and butterflies.

    Or I will have just the macro lens, to shoot bugs. All other lenses
    stay home, because I know where I'm going and what I'll be shooting
    there.

    Just do some considering and match the lens to the job.

    Wally, Jul 4, 2012
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 4/07/2012 1:23 PM, Wally wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:31:55 +1000, Rob <> wrote:

    >>> Depends...
    >>>
    >>> The 15-85mm is excellent, but is heavy compared to the kit lens. Also,
    >>> it is slow, and is expensive (but less if bought with a body).
    >>>
    >>> The 18-135mm has terrific zoom range, for which it trades off optical
    >>> performance.
    >>>
    >>> The 17-55mm is a wonderful lens and could be the right choice if you
    >>> need good low light performance. But it is expensive and double the
    >>> weight of the 18-55mm lens.
    >>>
    >>> There's a lot to be said for the 18-55mm kit lens because performance
    >>> is adequate, it is cheap, and it is very light... the best choice for
    >>> roaming around all day in interesting new places.
    >>>
    >>> So your friend should prioritize weight, reach, optical performance,
    >>> cost, and low light performance.

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> I sort of know which lenses suit myself or wander out with a specific
    >> lens. I have used Nikon many years which enables me to suck up that
    >> information. lenses v's performance. My GP lens is the 24-120 has been
    >> for many years now.
    >>
    >> As for Canon they have so many lenses in the GP lens bracket I would not
    >> have the slightest, what to pick.

    > Well, the 24-120 is a 35mm format lens. For DX, it has no wide angle.
    > Might be suitable for you though if you don't use WA very often (or if
    > you use a FF camera).

    my only dx lens is a 12-24 just to cover wide angle, and there is a but
    I stitch lots od images now.

    But yes I have a FF camera body as well.

    > I often go out with just the 100-400mm on the camera -- shooting birds
    > and butterflies.
    >
    > Or I will have just the macro lens, to shoot bugs. All other lenses
    > stay home, because I know where I'm going and what I'll be shooting
    > there.
    >
    > Just do some considering and match the lens to the job.

    I think your right which I did mention just wander out with a specific
    lens. Now hate to carry heaps of gear just in case.

    Rob, Jul 4, 2012