    experience with batteries so any help appreciated.

    Thanks.

    --

    dundonald, Dec 31, 2003

  2. dundonald

    Harvey Guest

    "dundonald" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a nikon coolpix 3100. I have been using it for the past 6 months.

    I'm
    > happy with it. It's a great little camera. The one thing I would like to
    > improve though, and here lies my question, the batteries. I use the
    > rechargeable batteries that came with the camera - two AA sized NI-MH.

    They
    > are ok but the one problem that I want to overcome is the batteries losing
    > power whilst they're not in use. I can charge the batteries up, take a

    few
    > shots, then put the camera away for a few days or even a week or so. When

    > next pick up the camera the batteries have discharged. Quite annoying when

    > miss great moments to take pictures of my kids.
    >
    > So as suggested, my question is, are there any better rechargeable

    batteries
    > I can buy for my coolpix 3100 that don't discharge? I don't have much
    > experience with batteries so any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Ni-MH batteries lose about 1% of their charge per day. Primary cells like
    lithium or alkaline will not do that but are more expensive if you take many
    pictures. However even after two weeks, with the Ni-MH you should only be
    down 15% so if the camera does not operate, you might want to try a name
    brand Ni-MH like Duracell. You can get a set of four for $9.84 at Walmart.

    Harvey, Jan 1, 2004

  3. dundonald

    Harvey Guest

    "dundonald" <> wrote in message
    > I have a nikon coolpix 3100. I have been using it for the past 6 months.

    I'm
    > happy with it. It's a great little camera. The one thing I would like to
    > improve though, and here lies my question, the batteries. I use the
    > rechargeable batteries that came with the camera - two AA sized NI-MH.

    They
    > are ok but the one problem that I want to overcome is the batteries losing
    > power whilst they're not in use. I can charge the batteries up, take a

    few
    > shots, then put the camera away for a few days or even a week or so. When

    > next pick up the camera the batteries have discharged. Quite annoying when

    > miss great moments to take pictures of my kids.
    >
    > So as suggested, my question is, are there any better rechargeable

    batteries
    > I can buy for my coolpix 3100 that don't discharge? I don't have much
    > experience with batteries so any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here is another good reference on this. Look like Li-ion would be better if
    available in AA size. http://voltaicpower.com/Batteries/self-compare.htm

    Harvey, Jan 1, 2004
  4. dundonald

    y_p_w Guest

    Harvey wrote:

    > Here is another good reference on this. Look like Li-ion would be better if
    > available in AA size. http://voltaicpower.com/Batteries/self-compare.htm

    Perhaps in theory. However - a single li-ion cell is 3.7V (nominal).a
    Even if that weren't a problem, some stupid person would probably
    try to charge on in a "dumb" AA charger and end up with an explosion.

    Digicams are high-drain devices (at least for short periods of time).
    Even though alkalines theoretically have a higher energy capacity,
    they also have a relatively high internal resistance - even the
    ones "designed for high-drain devices". The point where an
    alkaline becomes useless for a digicam is quick. You might still
    be able to operate an AM radio with batteries that no longer operate
    a digicam. A freshly charged set of NiMH batteries should always
    take more pictures than alkalines - unless the NiMHs are past their
    useful life.

    y_p_w, Jan 1, 2004
  5. dundonald

    Steve Guest

    dundonald wrote:
    > I have a nikon coolpix 3100. I have been using it for the past 6
    > months. I'm happy with it. It's a great little camera. The one thing
    > I would like to improve though, and here lies my question, the
    > batteries. I use the rechargeable batteries that came with the
    > camera - two AA sized NI-MH. They are ok but the one problem that I
    > want to overcome is the batteries losing power whilst they're not in
    > use. I can charge the batteries up, take a few shots, then put the
    > camera away for a few days or even a week or so. When I next pick up
    > the camera the batteries have discharged. Quite annoying when I miss
    > great moments to take pictures of my kids.
    >
    > So as suggested, my question is, are there any better rechargeable
    > batteries I can buy for my coolpix 3100 that don't discharge? I
    > don't have much experience with batteries so any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    dundonald:

    I can get about 190 pics with some Maha PowerEX 1800 mAH NiMh batteries with
    my CP3100. Maha now makes 2200 mAH batteries. See:

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mahabatteries.htm

    and

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 1, 2004
  6. dundonald

    dundonald Guest

    "Steve" <> thoughtfully wrote:

    >I can get about 190 pics with some Maha PowerEX 1800 mAH NiMh batteries with
    >my CP3100. Maha now makes 2200 mAH batteries. See:
    >
    >http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mahabatteries.htm
    >
    >and
    >
    >http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

    Thanks for the reply Steve. If I use the batteries from start to finish
    after a fresh recharge, there is no problem. The problem is when the camera
    is not in use and the batteries discharge, so next time I pick up the camera
    for use the batteries are flat and require charging again. Do you
    experience this?

    dundonald, Jan 1, 2004
  7. dundonald

    dundonald Guest

    "Harvey" <> thoughtfully wrote:

    >"dundonald" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a nikon coolpix 3100. I have been using it for the past 6 months.

    >I'm
    >> happy with it. It's a great little camera. The one thing I would like to
    >> improve though, and here lies my question, the batteries. I use the
    >> rechargeable batteries that came with the camera - two AA sized NI-MH.

    >They
    >> are ok but the one problem that I want to overcome is the batteries losing
    >> power whilst they're not in use. I can charge the batteries up, take a

    >few
    >> shots, then put the camera away for a few days or even a week or so. When

    >> next pick up the camera the batteries have discharged. Quite annoying when

    >> miss great moments to take pictures of my kids.
    >>
    >> So as suggested, my question is, are there any better rechargeable

    >batteries
    >> I can buy for my coolpix 3100 that don't discharge? I don't have much
    >> experience with batteries so any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Ni-MH batteries lose about 1% of their charge per day. Primary cells like
    >lithium or alkaline will not do that but are more expensive if you take many
    >pictures.

    Thanks Harvey. How do you mean please, more expensive if you take many
    pictures? Do you mean lose more power in actual use?

    >However even after two weeks, with the Ni-MH you should only be
    >down 15% so if the camera does not operate, you might want to try a name
    >brand Ni-MH like Duracell.

    The Ni-MH brand I use in my camera are the Nikon one's supplied by Nikon
    (obviously :). So am I right in understanding you that Ni-MH batteries are
    probably the best way to go but the self-discharge might be due to the
    actual quality of the batteries and a brand such as Duracell might not be as
    problematic with self-discharge?

    >You can get a set of four for $9.84 at Walmart.

    I live in the UK so I'll shop around in stores here.

    The Ni-MH batteries I have at the moment also indicate they have 2000 of
    something, not sure what that is, but thought I'd mention it because Steve

    dundonald, Jan 1, 2004
  8. dundonald

    Paul Rubin Guest

    dundonald <> writes:
    > >However even after two weeks, with the Ni-MH you should only be
    > >down 15% so if the camera does not operate, you might want to try a name
    > >brand Ni-MH like Duracell.

    > The Ni-MH brand I use in my camera are the Nikon one's supplied by
    > Nikon (obviously :). So am I right in understanding you that Ni-MH
    > batteries are probably the best way to go but the self-discharge
    > might be due to the actual quality of the batteries and a brand such
    > as Duracell might not be as problematic with self-discharge?

    If your cells are discharging in just a week, it's not a matter of the
    brand--something is actually wrong. Ask for a warranty replacement
    for your batteries.

    > The Ni-MH batteries I have at the moment also indicate they have 2000 of
    > something, not sure what that is, but thought I'd mention it because Steve

    That's the amount of charge they hold, so 2000 mAH is about 11% more.
    Don't get too excited about that number though, it's often exaggerated
    by manufacturers. The highest legitimate ratings you can find are
    around 2200.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 1, 2004
  9. dundonald

    Paul Guest

    dundonald wrote:

    > I have a nikon coolpix 3100. I have been using it for the past 6 months. I'm
    > happy with it. It's a great little camera. The one thing I would like to
    > improve though, and here lies my question, the batteries. I use the
    > rechargeable batteries that came with the camera - two AA sized NI-MH. They
    > are ok but the one problem that I want to overcome is the batteries losing
    > power whilst they're not in use. I can charge the batteries up, take a few
    > shots, then put the camera away for a few days or even a week or so. When I
    > next pick up the camera the batteries have discharged. Quite annoying when I
    > miss great moments to take pictures of my kids.
    >
    > So as suggested, my question is, are there any better rechargeable batteries
    > I can buy for my coolpix 3100 that don't discharge? I don't have much
    > experience with batteries so any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --

    Easiest solution? Just get a spare set of batteries, leave them on the
    charger, when you take the camera out just change the set in the camera
    with the ones on the charger. Most chargers will go to trickle charge
    when the batteries are fully charged. Ive been doing this for years
    without a problem.

    Paul, Jan 1, 2004
  10. dundonald

    dundonald Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> thoughtfully wrote:

    >dundonald <> writes:
    >> >However even after two weeks, with the Ni-MH you should only be
    >> >down 15% so if the camera does not operate, you might want to try a name
    >> >brand Ni-MH like Duracell.

    >> The Ni-MH brand I use in my camera are the Nikon one's supplied by
    >> Nikon (obviously :). So am I right in understanding you that Ni-MH
    >> batteries are probably the best way to go but the self-discharge
    >> might be due to the actual quality of the batteries and a brand such
    >> as Duracell might not be as problematic with self-discharge?

    >If your cells are discharging in just a week, it's not a matter of the
    >brand--something is actually wrong. Ask for a warranty replacement
    >for your batteries.
    >
    >> The Ni-MH batteries I have at the moment also indicate they have 2000 of
    >> something, not sure what that is, but thought I'd mention it because Steve

    >That's the amount of charge they hold, so 2000 mAH is about 11% more.
    >Don't get too excited about that number though, it's often exaggerated
    >by manufacturers. The highest legitimate ratings you can find are
    >around 2200.

    Thanks Paul.

    dundonald, Jan 1, 2004
  11. Can you charge the Maha batts. with the Nikon charger.
    Bill Pritchard
    Retired and Emotional

    Bill Pritchard, Jan 1, 2004
  12. dundonald

    Ross Guest

    I have the same problem. The Coolpix batteries that came with the
    camera are rated at 2000 mAh. I bought 2 pair of Optrex or similar
    name batteries of the same capacity. I have version 1.2
    software/firmware in the camera. The vendor of the camera was told by
    the Nikon distributor rep that the batteries and the camera contacts
    in the door of the camera must be lightly filed to ensure a proper
    contact. This doesn't seem right to me, but it does work to a degree.
    All of my batteries behave in the same way, or perhaps better to say
    that the camera works the same with different pairs of batteries.
    SOMETIMES I get only a dozen pictures and other times many more. Key
    Word is SOMETIMES. I put test leads down to the battery contacts
    within the camera and measured 2.2 volts. There must be an internal
    lithium battery that does something.

    I guess that the camera has an a detection circuit that measures both
    the internal resistance of the batteries to determine the type (NiMh,
    Alkaline, or non-rechargeable lithium,) voltage of the inserted
    batteries, and then decides to put up the low battery indicator.
    Either there is a bad detection circuit (hardware), bad connections
    (hardware), bad software, or bad batteries.

    I called Nikon. The tech said that the problem was batteries. I
    doubt that, since both Coolpix and Optrex batteries act the same. I
    think that it is another problem in the camera. The tech said that
    the current version of software is version 2. He said to send the
    camera in to them so they may upgrade the software. He didn't think
    that there was a hardware problem (bad resistor, bad connection, bad
    solder joint, etc.

    What does version 2 software fix? This is a crappy camera if I have
    to charge the batteries just before using the camera. Filing the
    batteries ???? I've put freshly charged batteries in the camera and
    gotten 5 pictures before it died.

    Regards,
    Ross

    Ross, Jan 27, 2004