Better B/W inkjet prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith Cooper, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Keith Cooper

    Keith Cooper Guest

    Hi

    Although I use a colour managed workflow for my B/W landscape prints. I
    do not have profiles for various other printers that I might use for
    proofing.

    I got to wondering how to improve black and white inkjet printing
    without colour management? This was made all the more important with
    several digital photography courses I've recently started teaching,
    where the equipment available (old PCs and HP 'Office' printers) was
    never intended or capable of any real precision.

    I've been experimenting with scanning greyscale images and using
    Photoshop to create 'profile' curves. The results were much better than
    I had hoped, so I've written up my 'experiments' at
    <http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/digitalblack.html>

    It may not be the 'right' way to get a profile, but it's cheap and made
    a considerable difference with the HP printers I tried it with.

    Let me know if anyone successfully tries it out :)) or has any
    suggestions...

    bye for now

    Keith Cooper

    **take out stuff to reply by mail
    Keith Cooper, Oct 4, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Keith Cooper

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 12:21:27 +0100, Keith Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Although I use a colour managed workflow for my B/W landscape prints. I
    >do not have profiles for various other printers that I might use for
    >proofing.
    >
    >I got to wondering how to improve black and white inkjet printing
    >without colour management? This was made all the more important with
    >several digital photography courses I've recently started teaching,
    >where the equipment available (old PCs and HP 'Office' printers) was
    >never intended or capable of any real precision.
    >
    >I've been experimenting with scanning greyscale images and using
    >Photoshop to create 'profile' curves. The results were much better than
    >I had hoped, so I've written up my 'experiments' at
    ><http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/digitalblack.html>
    >
    >It may not be the 'right' way to get a profile, but it's cheap and made
    >a considerable difference with the HP printers I tried it with.
    >
    >Let me know if anyone successfully tries it out :)) or has any
    >suggestions...
    >
    >bye for now




    Look up Paul Roarke and Piezography (different
    approaches to the same problem.)

    There's a Piezography news group on Yahoo.

    Check out limit-gamut inksets and quadtone/hextone inksets.


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 4, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Keith Cooper

    Keith Cooper Guest


    > Look up Paul Roarke and Piezography (different
    > approaches to the same problem.)
    >
    > There's a Piezography news group on Yahoo.
    >
    > Check out limit-gamut inksets and quadtone/hextone inksets.


    yup, as it says at the beginning of the web page -- I already use them
    for more exacting work...

    .... the web page was intended as an -experimental- way of doing it on
    the cheap with what you've already got -- it also links to plenty of the
    other ways.

    Also, various specialist solutions are not going to be feasible at some
    of the school computer rooms, where some of my courses take place


    For people looking more seriously at B/W there are lots of references on
    the site <http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/links.html>

    I'd also suggest the
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint> group for
    lots of good info


    bye for now

    Keith
    Keith Cooper, Oct 4, 2003
    #3
  4. Keith Cooper

    Savidge4 Guest

    >Although I use a colour managed workflow for my B/W landscape prints. I
    >do not have profiles for various other printers that I might use for
    >proofing.
    >
    >I got to wondering how to improve black and white inkjet printing
    >without colour management? This was made all the more important with
    >several digital photography courses I've recently started teaching,
    >where the equipment available (old PCs and HP 'Office' printers) was
    >never intended or capable of any real precision.
    >
    >I've been experimenting with scanning greyscale images and using
    >Photoshop to create 'profile' curves. The results were much better than
    >I had hoped, so I've written up my 'experiments' at
    ><http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/digitalblack.html>
    >
    >It may not be the 'right' way to get a profile, but it's cheap and made
    >a considerable difference with the HP printers I tried it with.
    >
    >Let me know if anyone successfully tries it out :)) or has any
    >suggestions...
    >
    >bye for now
    >
    >Keith Cooper



    hey there Keith, with Hp printers you really do not have to go through all the
    trouble of creating a color profile for B&W. I have found that going inot the
    HP driver utility you can select grey scale printing. It simply knocks out the
    use of the color cartridge completely. No more green, blue and or brown over
    tones!

    Hope that helps!
    Savidge4, Oct 4, 2003
    #4
  5. Keith Cooper

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 04 Oct 2003 16:29:56 GMT, (Savidge4) wrote:


    >hey there Keith, with Hp printers you really do not have to go through all the
    >trouble of creating a color profile for B&W. I have found that going inot the
    >HP driver utility you can select grey scale printing. It simply knocks out the
    >use of the color cartridge completely. No more green, blue and or brown over
    >tones!



    If you try that on a consumer or desktop Epson printer, you will get
    a very "grainy" print because only the black ink nozzles are firing.
    By what magic do HP printers get around that issue?

    Indeed, the desire to get "all" of the nozzles into action is the
    basis of quadtone/hextone inksets and Piezography.


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 4, 2003
    #5
  6. Keith Cooper

    Keith Cooper Guest

    > hey there Keith, with Hp printers you really do not have to go through all
    > the
    > trouble of creating a color profile for B&W. I have found that going inot
    > the
    > HP driver utility you can select grey scale printing. It simply knocks out
    > the
    > use of the color cartridge completely. No more green, blue and or brown over
    > tones!


    It's no trouble! The article is intended as much as an introduction to
    how profiling works (hence all the links and references) and ways round
    the severe limitations (IMHO) of some of the equipment I was using at
    the time :))

    I'm afaid HP's black only solution to printing is as grainy as with
    Epsons. I used the black only solution for balancing colour. BO printing
    can produce quite nice results with large prints (A2 for example) where
    the viwing distance reduces the visibility of dots in the hi-lights

    My original aim was just to get even tones for proofing, I wouldn't use
    any of the HP printers I've come across for serious photo work - given I
    use a calibrated, colour managed workflow with custom ICC profiles.

    For B/W my own preference is for small gamut inks, but if I had to use a
    colour inkset, I'd rely on a good RIP for linearisation and custom paper
    profiles.

    Keith
    Keith Cooper, Oct 4, 2003
    #6
  7. Keith Cooper

    Ken Ashcroft Guest

    There is a new HP printer dedicated to B & W printing.
    In message <>,
    Keith Cooper <> writes
    >> hey there Keith, with Hp printers you really do not have to go through all
    >> the
    >> trouble of creating a color profile for B&W. I have found that going inot
    >> the
    >> HP driver utility you can select grey scale printing. It simply knocks out
    >> the
    >> use of the color cartridge completely. No more green, blue and or brown over
    >> tones!

    >
    >It's no trouble! The article is intended as much as an introduction to
    >how profiling works (hence all the links and references) and ways round
    >the severe limitations (IMHO) of some of the equipment I was using at
    >the time :))
    >
    >I'm afaid HP's black only solution to printing is as grainy as with
    >Epsons. I used the black only solution for balancing colour. BO printing
    >can produce quite nice results with large prints (A2 for example) where
    >the viwing distance reduces the visibility of dots in the hi-lights
    >
    >My original aim was just to get even tones for proofing, I wouldn't use
    >any of the HP printers I've come across for serious photo work - given I
    >use a calibrated, colour managed workflow with custom ICC profiles.
    >
    >For B/W my own preference is for small gamut inks, but if I had to use a
    >colour inkset, I'd rely on a good RIP for linearisation and custom paper
    >profiles.
    >
    >Keith


    --

    Ken Ashcroft
    Ken Ashcroft, Oct 5, 2003
    #7
  8. Keith Cooper

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:07:05 +0100, Ken Ashcroft
    <> wrote:

    >There is a new HP printer dedicated to B & W printing.


    Where can I get more info?

    I mean, it's about time. I always figured there was a
    niche market there.


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 5, 2003
    #8
  9. Keith Cooper

    james Guest

    Here's the link: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html
    It's an 18 page hands-on review. And from what I've seen from this guy's
    review and having taken my CF card with a couple of photos on it and
    printing them at my local Office Max, I WANT ONE !!
    Office Max is selling them for $299.00 + tax. It prints both color and B&W
    just great. It will be interesting to see how the other printer
    manufacturers counter this one.
    james

    "Rafe B." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:07:05 +0100, Ken Ashcroft
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >There is a new HP printer dedicated to B & W printing.

    >
    > Where can I get more info?
    >
    > I mean, it's about time. I always figured there was a
    > niche market there.
    >
    >
    > rafe b.
    > http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    >
    james, Oct 6, 2003
    #9
  10. Keith Cooper

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:23:48 GMT, "james"
    <> wrote:

    >Here's the link: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html
    >It's an 18 page hands-on review. And from what I've seen from this guy's
    >review and having taken my CF card with a couple of photos on it and
    >printing them at my local Office Max, I WANT ONE !!
    >Office Max is selling them for $299.00 + tax. It prints both color and B&W
    >just great. It will be interesting to see how the other printer
    >manufacturers counter this one.
    >james



    Hmm. That link takes me to the top page of some
    UK web site. How about just giving me the HP model
    number? Kinda hard to guess, from that link.


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Oct 6, 2003
    #10
  11. Keith Cooper

    Savidge4 Guest

    Savidge4, Oct 6, 2003
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Only me

    Laser printer prints blanks but inkjet doesn't

    Only me, Sep 21, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    502
    SgtMinor
    Sep 21, 2004
  2. Mike Graham

    Inkjet printer that can handle larger prints?

    Mike Graham, Aug 10, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,495
    nobody nowhere
    Aug 11, 2003
  3. Stanley Krute

    [Wilhelm] Paper on estimating gas fading in inkjet prints

    Stanley Krute, Nov 21, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    389
    Stanley Krute
    Nov 21, 2003
  4. Harry

    Backprinting photo prints - inkjet or laserjet?

    Harry, Jan 19, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,455
    MPHunt
    Jan 25, 2004
  5. Bill Tuthill

    Durability of inkjet prints, photo prints

    Bill Tuthill, Apr 23, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    45
    Views:
    1,284
    Bill Hilton
    May 2, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page