Betamax - Voxalot interoperability

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Jun 25, 2008.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    I am seeing a lot of FUP exceeded entries on my JustVoIP bill again.
    I thought these companies had agreed to "play nice"

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 25, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Graham.

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:20:31 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >I am seeing a lot of FUP exceeded entries on my JustVoIP bill again.
    >I thought these companies had agreed to "play nice"

    I have had nil problems with the same set up.
    Likewise I know 2 others with the same set up who also have had no
    problems.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Jun 25, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:20:31 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am seeing a lot of FUP exceeded entries on my JustVoIP bill again.
    >>I thought these companies had agreed to "play nice"

    > I have had nil problems with the same set up.
    > Likewise I know 2 others with the same set up who also have had no
    > problems.



    Thanks for that Brian. Here is a sample

    2008-06-10 12:31:49 +44161798xxxx 00:01:40 FREE!
    2008-06-10 09:56:21 +44782353xxxx 00:00:33 ? 0.070
    2008-06-09 21:41:12 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:46:28 ? 0.470
    2008-06-09 20:25:42 +44161796xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:06:29 ? 0.070
    2008-06-09 14:57:46 +44161773xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:02:16 ? 0.030
    2008-06-09 14:57:32 +44161773xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:00:04 ? 0.010
    2008-06-09 14:35:40 +44161773xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:21:39 ? 0.220
    2008-06-09 14:15:11 +44161798xxxx 00:19:41 FREE!
    2008-06-09 11:03:03 +44161773xxxx 00:26:54 FREE!
    2008-06-09 11:02:12 +44161798xxxx 00:00:14 FREE!
    2008-06-09 00:40:05 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:16:41 ? 0.170
    2008-06-08 21:45:12 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:00:04 ? 0.010
    2008-06-08 19:28:57 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:00:09 ? 0.010
    2008-06-08 17:51:31 +44161798xxxx 00:02:18 FREE!

    If had genuinely exceeded the 7/300 rule, why did I get a reprieve on 9/6?
    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 25, 2008
    #3
  4. Graham. <> wrote:
    > Thanks for that Brian. Here is a sample
    >
    > 2008-06-09 21:41:12 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:46:28 ? 0.470


    What does 'FUP exceeded' mean? Is it that you've exceeded your free minutes
    or something like that?

    In the unlikely event it's relevant I noticed smslisto.com had a service
    update on Monday night and increased their prices:

    SMS to UK sent Mon 22.48 was free
    SMS to UK sent 23.57-1.05am were charged at 4 cents each, and not delivered
    until 5am BST
    SMS to UK sent Tue 20.30 were charged at 1 cents each

    The price list now says that UK SMS is 1 cent each, and they're no longer
    free. UK mobile calls went up from 5.5c to 6c, but this only kicked in
    sometime betwee 00.59 and 20.29.

    (all times in CET as per the account call record)

    It seems like things went funny in the transition period and I got
    overcharged in that time.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jun 25, 2008
    #4
  5. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    news:BRd*...
    > Graham. <> wrote:
    >> Thanks for that Brian. Here is a sample
    >>
    >> 2008-06-09 21:41:12 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:46:28 ? 0.470

    >
    > What does 'FUP exceeded' mean? Is it that you've exceeded your free
    > minutes
    > or something like that?


    Yes, but also Betamax factor in your IP address to make it difficult
    to get more than 300 weekly free minuets by using multiple
    accounts. The problem is that services like Voxalot and Mysipswitch
    present the same IP address to Betamax as other users, so your
    free allowance, and hence your credit, goes quickly.
    That was the situation until Betamax made an exception for
    calls coming via Voxalot and made it worthwhile for Betamax
    users to use it.
    Unless I have missed something obvious, it looks to me like
    we are back to the previous restrictions.

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 25, 2008
    #5
  6. Graham.

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:57:07 +0100, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Graham. explained on 25/06/2008 :
    >>
    >> "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    >> news:BRd*...
    >>> Graham. <> wrote:
    >>>> Thanks for that Brian. Here is a sample
    >>>>
    >>>> 2008-06-09 21:41:12 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:46:28 ? 0.470
    >>>
    >>> What does 'FUP exceeded' mean? Is it that you've exceeded your free
    >>> minutes
    >>> or something like that?

    >>
    >> Yes, but also Betamax factor in your IP address to make it difficult
    >> to get more than 300 weekly free minuets by using multiple
    >> accounts.

    >
    >On the contrary, using multiple IP addresses allows multiples of the
    >300 minutes....(I believe)

    I thought that was what they were trying to prevent with this new
    'unique IP' rule. The word unique is an unfortunate one as it means
    absolutely nothing in this case. What are they trying to say? I
    assumed that they wanted people to use just one IP. That isn't always
    possible so the idea seems a bit naff.
    I haven't dared do any calling from anything except the same Voxalot
    account. I haven't tried any calls direct from my ATA.
    >> The problem is that services like Voxalot and Mysipswitch
    >> present the same IP address to Betamax as other users, so your
    >> free allowance, and hence your credit, goes quickly.

    >
    >You get 300 minutes per IP, so yes, 300 minutes can be used quickly if
    >hundreds of people are using the same IP.

    I've had no problems in this respect but then I don't go anywhere near
    the 300 limit. It is difficult to decide what to do for the best.

    I would have thought that there must be something other than the IP
    sent from Voxalot to Betamax for them to strike an agreement.
    >
    >> That was the situation until Betamax made an exception for
    >> calls coming via Voxalot and made it worthwhile for Betamax
    >> users to use it.
    >> Unless I have missed something obvious, it looks to me like
    >> we are back to the previous restrictions.

    It is all confusing. You are having this problem but I, and 2 other
    set ups that I have done, are having no problem.

    I can't understand why they can't simply log the calls that are made,
    via each account, and keep a tally of the minutes used in any 7 day
    period. If that is done what relevance has the IP? Am I missing
    something here?



    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Jun 25, 2008
    #6
  7. Graham.

    TheFug Guest

    Brian A schreef:

    > I can't understand why they can't simply log the calls that are made,
    > via each account, and keep a tally of the minutes used in any 7 day
    > period. If that is done what relevance has the IP? Am I missing
    > something here?
    >
    >
    >
    > ---
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    > ---


    That's why the whole thing started, if you have multiple accounts, you
    could use up one account, and start with the next account the new
    300min/7 days limit,(FUP) the only "difference" is, both accounts have
    the same IP address......
    Or am i wrong ? Voxa(pl)o(i)t sets the Peer Source ip address :)

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.


    VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com
    A free service sponsored by www.blueface.ie
    TheFug, Jun 25, 2008
    #7
  8. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "TheFug" <> wrote in message
    news:4862abe2$0$6019$...
    > Brian A schreef:
    >
    >> I can't understand why they can't simply log the calls that are made,
    >> via each account, and keep a tally of the minutes used in any 7 day
    >> period. If that is done what relevance has the IP? Am I missing
    >> something here?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> ---
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >> ---

    >
    > That's why the whole thing started, if you have multiple accounts, you
    > could use up one account, and start with the next account the new 300min/7
    > days limit,(FUP) the only "difference" is, both accounts have the same IP
    > address......
    > Or am i wrong ? Voxa(pl)o(i)t sets the Peer Source ip address :)



    SIP heaven for me would be Betamax working with mysipswitch
    (without penalty).
    Right now I have one half of my PAP2 pointing to sipswitch with
    all my incomming numbers and the other half pointing at voxalot
    with Justvoip plus Sipgate for toll free-calls. Now that my Justvoip
    credit has expired I will probebly jump ship to smslisto.com, but
    I am wary of using voxalot ATM, and might just write a dial-
    plan for the PAP2 and point it directly at Betamax.

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 26, 2008
    #8
  9. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:57:07 +0100, Jono <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Graham. explained on 25/06/2008 :
    >>>
    >>> "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:BRd*...
    >>>> Graham. <> wrote:
    >>>>> Thanks for that Brian. Here is a sample
    >>>>>
    >>>>> 2008-06-09 21:41:12 +44161798xxxx (FUP exceeded) 00:46:28 ?
    >>>>> 0.470
    >>>>
    >>>> What does 'FUP exceeded' mean? Is it that you've exceeded your free
    >>>> minutes
    >>>> or something like that?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, but also Betamax factor in your IP address to make it difficult
    >>> to get more than 300 weekly free minuets by using multiple
    >>> accounts.

    >>
    >>On the contrary, using multiple IP addresses allows multiples of the
    >>300 minutes....(I believe)

    > I thought that was what they were trying to prevent with this new
    > 'unique IP' rule. The word unique is an unfortunate one as it means
    > absolutely nothing in this case. What are they trying to say? I
    > assumed that they wanted people to use just one IP. That isn't always
    > possible so the idea seems a bit naff.
    > I haven't dared do any calling from anything except the same Voxalot
    > account. I haven't tried any calls direct from my ATA.
    >>> The problem is that services like Voxalot and Mysipswitch
    >>> present the same IP address to Betamax as other users, so your
    >>> free allowance, and hence your credit, goes quickly.

    >>
    >>You get 300 minutes per IP, so yes, 300 minutes can be used quickly if
    >>hundreds of people are using the same IP.

    > I've had no problems in this respect but then I don't go anywhere near
    > the 300 limit. It is difficult to decide what to do for the best.
    >
    > I would have thought that there must be something other than the IP
    > sent from Voxalot to Betamax for them to strike an agreement.
    >>
    >>> That was the situation until Betamax made an exception for
    >>> calls coming via Voxalot and made it worthwhile for Betamax
    >>> users to use it.
    >>> Unless I have missed something obvious, it looks to me like
    >>> we are back to the previous restrictions.

    > It is all confusing. You are having this problem but I, and 2 other
    > set ups that I have done, are having no problem.
    >
    > I can't understand why they can't simply log the calls that are made,
    > via each account, and keep a tally of the minutes used in any 7 day
    > period. If that is done what relevance has the IP? Am I missing
    > something here?
    >



    I assume you and the other users you mentioned are using the "EU"
    cluster?
    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 26, 2008
    #9
  10. Graham.

    Brian A Guest


    >
    >I assume you and the other users you mentioned are using the "EU"
    >cluster?

    Yes, all on the EU server.
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Jun 26, 2008
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Syed J farooqi

    CISCO and Juniper Interoperability

    Syed J farooqi, Jan 23, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,061
    Syed J farooqi
    Jan 23, 2004
  2. Hal Kuff
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    784
    rajsmilesalways
    Oct 4, 2006
  3. Mortimer Mouse
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,877
    Geert
    Apr 1, 2004
  4. AM
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    450
    Uli Link
    Jun 10, 2005
  5. Graham

    voxalot.com and Betamax

    Graham, Apr 9, 2007, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,376
Loading...

Share This Page