Betamax to IPKall?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Anthony R. Gold, Jul 5, 2012.

  1. If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 5, 2012

  2. "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    > If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

    Is this a question, or a statement?

    Harry Stottle, Jul 5, 2012

  3. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:22:48 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
    <> wrote:

    >"Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.
    >>

    >Is this a question, or a statement?

    It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
    doubt if it's only me that sees that.

    Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
    giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
    Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

    ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
    last time I tried, so something has changed.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 5, 2012
  4. On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Graham. <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:22:48 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >>> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.
    >>>

    >> Is this a question, or a statement?

    > It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
    > doubt if it's only me that sees that.
    >
    > Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
    > giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
    > Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

    And also the same success for me via Sipgate.

    SIP response codes here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes

    500 Server Internal Error

    > ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
    > last time I tried, so something has changed.

    I wrote to VOIPCheap's CS and first got this response:

    Dear Customer,

    It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
    called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
    it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
    number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.

    Kind regards,
    Customer service

    I then replied to ask what kind of technical problem and they replied:

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 5, 2012
  5. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 22:46:52 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Graham. <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:22:48 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Is this a question, or a statement?

    >> It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
    >> doubt if it's only me that sees that.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
    >> giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
    >> Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

    >And also the same success for me via Sipgate.
    >
    >SIP response codes here:
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes
    >
    >500 Server Internal Error
    >
    >> ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
    >> last time I tried, so something has changed.

    >I wrote to VOIPCheap's CS and first got this response:
    >
    >Dear Customer,
    >
    >It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
    >called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
    >it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
    >number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
    >
    >Kind regards,
    >Customer service
    >
    >I then replied to ask what kind of technical problem and they replied:
    >
    >Dear Customer,
    >
    >It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
    >called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
    >it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
    >number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
    >
    >Kind regards,
    >Customer service

    I wouldn't have bothered asking them.

    Perhaps they don't route these calls via circuit switched PSTN
    carriers at all, and use ENUM to look up the destination SIP address
    and therefore keep the call 100% VoIP end-to-end. So it could be
    incorrect mapping or even ipcall rejecting the call.

    That's probably all bollocks because I don't really understand this
    stuff.

    Gordon, where are you when I need you?

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 5, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    Graham. <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 22:46:52 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:59:01 +0100, Graham. <> wrote:

    >>> It's a statement that carries an implied invitation to comment, I
    >>> doubt if it's only me that sees that.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I am seeing the same thing, not sure of the SIP error but
    >>> giving me a busy tone when I dial from voipcheap.co.uk
    >>> Call the same number from my BT landline and it connects.

    >>And also the same success for me via Sipgate.
    >>
    >>SIP response codes here:
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes
    >>
    >>500 Server Internal Error
    >>
    >>> ipkall numbers were definitely accessible from Betamax accounts the
    >>> last time I tried, so something has changed.

    >>I wrote to VOIPCheap's CS and first got this response:
    >>
    >>Dear Customer,
    >>
    >>It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
    >>called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
    >>it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
    >>number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
    >>
    >>Kind regards,
    >>Customer service
    >>
    >>I then replied to ask what kind of technical problem and they replied:
    >>
    >>Dear Customer,
    >>
    >>It is mostly due to technical or route problems certain numbers cannot be
    >>called using our service. We do our best to find the carriers responsible for
    >>it and remove them from our routing. Please try later or use another phone
    >>number. We apologize for any inconveniences it may have caused you.
    >>
    >>Kind regards,
    >>Customer service

    >I wouldn't have bothered asking them.
    >
    >Perhaps they don't route these calls via circuit switched PSTN
    >carriers at all, and use ENUM to look up the destination SIP address
    >and therefore keep the call 100% VoIP end-to-end. So it could be
    >incorrect mapping or even ipcall rejecting the call.
    >
    >That's probably all bollocks because I don't really understand this
    >stuff.
    >
    >Gordon, where are you when I need you?

    Oh still lurking...

    So the issue is one ITSP not being able to call another ITSP.. Unless
    they have an arrangement VoIP to VoIP, or other private interconnect
    (starting with E1 lines, etc.) then the call has to go via the "default
    route" ie. the PSTN... Which costs money.

    And I'm suspecting that VoIP to VoIP peering is not actually favoured
    because it's effectively free and who can make money out of free?

    This is probably why ENUM is being slow to take off - imagine if everyone
    had VoIP to VoIP peering, then none of the carriers would make any money
    out of it, (they'd lose the termination fees) and telcos exist to make
    (print) money...

    So stick to Skype...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jul 6, 2012
  7. In message <>, Anthony R. Gold
    <> writes
    >If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

    No change since early March then :-( See this thread
    http://tinyurl.com/camqn6r

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Jul 6, 2012
  8. On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 18:38:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <> wrote:

    > In message <>, Anthony R. Gold
    > <> writes
    >> If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

    > No change since early March then :-( See this thread
    > http://tinyurl.com/camqn6r
    >
    > Malcolm

    May thanks for that.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 6, 2012
  9. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    wrote:

    >In message <>, Anthony R. Gold
    ><> writes
    >>If I try to dial an IPKall number via Betamax I get SIP Error 500.

    >No change since early March then :-( See this thread
    >http://tinyurl.com/camqn6r
    >
    >Malcolm

    I thought there was a ring of familiarity about the topic.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 6, 2012