Betamax directly from ATA on cable - IP considerations

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    I use Justvoip via Voxalot so Ithere is no problem with the IP staying
    the same in order to qualify for the inclusive 'free minutes'.
    I am about to set up an SPA-3102 for a relative who intends to retain
    his cable telephone line as a back up and to use mostly for incoming
    calls. It would seem logical that the minimum links in the voip chain
    would yield the best reliability - i.e. to use justvoip directly from
    the ATA instead of via voxalot.
    There is the static IP problem to consider. I am fairly sure that my
    IP has remained constant for some considerable time despite dropping
    off line on many occasions. Indeed it may always have been the same
    IP.
    1. Has anyone used a Betamax voip service via cable (Telewest area)
    directly from their ATA and has this proved to be a reliable set up
    from the IP viewpoint?

    2. If it proves necessary to change the IP how does this square with
    the IP requirements of Betamax? i.e. How is it possible to switch IP
    and retain the inclusive 'free' calls?

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Brian A

    Graham. Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >I use Justvoip via Voxalot so Ithere is no problem with the IP staying
    > the same in order to qualify for the inclusive 'free minutes'.
    > I am about to set up an SPA-3102 for a relative who intends to retain
    > his cable telephone line as a back up and to use mostly for incoming
    > calls. It would seem logical that the minimum links in the voip chain
    > would yield the best reliability - i.e. to use justvoip directly from
    > the ATA instead of via voxalot.
    > There is the static IP problem to consider. I am fairly sure that my
    > IP has remained constant for some considerable time despite dropping
    > off line on many occasions. Indeed it may always have been the same
    > IP.
    > 1. Has anyone used a Betamax voip service via cable (Telewest area)
    > directly from their ATA and has this proved to be a reliable set up
    > from the IP viewpoint?
    >
    > 2. If it proves necessary to change the IP how does this square with
    > the IP requirements of Betamax? i.e. How is it possible to switch IP
    > and retain the inclusive 'free' calls?

    OK I will stick my neck out and pretend I know what I am
    talking about, no doubt someone will correct me if I've got
    it wrong.
    The very fact that Voxalot presents the same IP to Betamax
    is a reason for it *not* working, ie. you should be charged
    for all "free" calls because your usage is added to all the other
    Betamax users' usage and the 300 min is bound to be exceeded.

    The reason why this doesn't happen, is because Betamax
    have an agreement with Voxalot and they don't penalise
    users for using Voxalot.

    This is not the case with Mysipswitch (more's the pity)

    I would say that most Betamax users use log on
    directly to their account with a dynamic IP and
    suffer no consequences. I suppose in theory if you
    got an IP that was recently assigned to another
    Betamax customer you might be hit by their FUP,
    I have wondered about this myself.

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%