Betamax caller ID with Asterisk

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. Has anyone succeeded in setting up Asterisk to send caller ID with
    Betamax/Finarea providers?

    With SMSListo.com I've registered my number using the Windows application,
    received the confirmation call, and the app says my number is OK.

    On an ATA the settings to provide CLID are:
    username=00441234567890 [my registered CLID number]
    auth user=myusername
    password=mypassword
    This worked fine for a VOIPCheap.com account I have (I don't have the ATA
    here to play with)

    So I tried that in Asterisk 1.2's sip.conf:
    [smslisto]
    type=peer
    username=00441234567890
    auth=myusername
    secret=mypassword
    fromuser=myusername
    host=sip.smslisto.com
    fromdomain=sip.smslisto.com
    realm=sip.smslisto.com
    context=smslisto.com
    insecure=very
    caninvite=no
    canreinvite=no
    qualify=no
    disallow=all
    allow=ulaw

    But Asterisk can't make calls with these settings. It calls fine when
    username=myusername, secret=mypassword and auth isn't defined.

    I've also tried
    callerid="Sample" <00441234567890>
    in that section of sip.conf,
    exten => _X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=+441234567890)
    in my extension context, and
    CallerID: Sample <+441234567890>
    in a .call file

    and similiar attempts with 0044 instead of +44.

    Any other suggestions? When using the 'auth' field with an ATA, what does
    that actually do in the SIP protocol? Does it differ from Asterisk's auth?

    Thanks
    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 11, 2008

  2. Jono <> wrote:
    > Here's my working setup:

    [snip]

    That indeed works. Thanks!

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 12, 2008

  3. Theo Markettos, Jul 13, 2008
  4. Jono <> wrote:
    > So, leaving the fromuser=0044xxxxxxxx line out of the config, I can (in
    > Free PBX) enter any verified number in the Outbound CLI box on EITHER
    > the trunk or the extension...and it works.

    Hmmm... if I remove the fromuser line, Asterisk's own CLID doesn't work for
    me with:

    exten => 1236,7,Set(${CALLERID(num)}=0044myoutboundCLID)
    exten => 1236,8,Dial(SIP/0044mymobile@smslisto-com)
    (but it rings, Asterisk 1.4 this time)

    What do you mean by 'on EITHER the trunk or the extension'?

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Jono <> wrote:
    > I take it you're not a FeePBX user...

    No, just plain old Asterisk for me :)

    > I can enter the CLI for the trunk; any calls going out on that trunk
    > will default to show that CLI.

    Ah, right. In plain Asterisk-speak that sounds equivalent to this in
    sip.conf:

    [someprovider]
    callerid=00441234567...
    host=sip.someprovider.net

    > I can also enter the Outbound CLI for an extension. This has the effect
    > of over-riding the default CLI set in the trunk.

    While that's something like this in extensions.conf:
    [someextensioncontext]
    exten => 1236,1,Answer
    exten => 1236,2,Play(tt-weasels)
    exten => 1236,3,Set(${CALLERID(num)}=0044.....)
    (and various other ways of saying the same thing)

    But neither work for me :(

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 16, 2008
  6. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    On 16 Jul, 22:01, Jono <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > I can enter the CLI for the trunk; any calls going out on that trunk
    > will default to show that CLI.
    >
    > I can also enter the Outbound CLI for an extension. This has the effect
    > of over-riding the default CLI set in the trunk.
    >
    > This means that I can have all my extensions sending my home number as
    > CLI yet my sister's extension (remote) correctly sends her home
    > number...using the same tunk as me.

    Useful and pratical tip, thanks Jono.

    But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    is made from.

    Of course, incoming calls would not be affected as they can still be
    routed to specific extensions as they always have been.....
    , Jul 17, 2008
  7. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    > Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    >> That indeed works. Thanks!

    > I've now added this to the Asterisk wiki:
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA

    Major problems when viewed with IE6 and IE6 Theo.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 17, 2008
  8. Theo Markettos

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:40:55 -0700, voiptalker wrote:

    > But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    > example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    > they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    > Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    > is made from.

    Is this with FreePBX or vanilla Asterisk? Asterisk dialplans certainly
    provide the power and flexibility to do this; whether or not you can with
    FreePBX is another matter :)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:25:57 up 6 days, 1:00, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.03
    alexd, Jul 17, 2008
  9. Theo Markettos

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    : example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    : they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    : Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    : is made from.

    Well the way I do it is to make the call from a number in the relevant
    range. If I'm calling a London number I make the call *from* a London
    number. If I'm calling a number on my local code I use a number in that
    range, German calls get called from a German number. And so on.

    Numbers are free ones from Sipgate, all terminating on my AVM
    Fritz!Box router/ATA, which can accommodate 10 of them.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 17, 2008
  10. wrote:
    > But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    > example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    > they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    > Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    > is made from.

    If you can make Asterisk's CLID feature work, how about something like:

    exten => _004420X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=00442012345678)
    exten => _004420X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    exten => _00441223X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=00441223999999)
    exten => _00441223X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    exten => _0033X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=0033123456789)
    exten => _0033X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)

    (All completely untested)

    Except that I can't make this feature work :(

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 17, 2008
  11. Graham. <> wrote:

    > "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    > > I've now added this to the Asterisk wiki:
    > > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA

    > Major problems when viewed with IE6 and IE6 Theo.

    Sorry, the site's nufink to do wiv me guvnor. I just edited a few lines of
    the wiki content. Take it up with the site admins if you like.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jul 17, 2008
  12. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Graham. used his keyboard to write :
    >>> I've now added this to the Asterisk wiki:
    >>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA

    >> Major problems when viewed with IE6 and IE6 Theo

    > What, /both/ IE6 *AND* IE6?
    >
    > :)

    Unfortunately it gets worse.
    Yes I meant to say IE6 and IE7, but I have just realised that
    SWMBOs computer that used to have IE7 on it has
    actually got IE6 since I re-installed Windows XP Pro.
    so I stand by what I said!

    Installing it now.

    I can now report that http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA
    is fine with IE7

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 17, 2008
  13. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., Jul 17, 2008
  14. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., Jul 17, 2008
  15. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    Apologies for the multiple posts guys.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 18, 2008
  16. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    On Jul 17, 11:36 pm, alexd <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:40:55 -0700, voiptalker wrote:
    > > But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    > > example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    > > they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    > > Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    > > is made from.

    > Is this with FreePBX or vanilla Asterisk? Asterisk dialplans certainly
    > provide the power and flexibility to do this; whether or not you can with
    > FreePBX is another matter :)

    Yes, sorry I meant with FreePBX. I realise vanilla Asterisk could do
    it, and I wish I could, but that's beyond my capabilities ;=)
    , Jul 18, 2008
  17. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    On Jul 18, 12:07 am, Theo Markettos <theom
    > wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    > > example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    > > they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    > > Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    > > is made from.

    > If you can make Asterisk's CLID feature work, how about something like:
    >
    > exten => _004420X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=00442012345678)
    > exten => _004420X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    > exten => _00441223X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=00441223999999)
    > exten => _00441223X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    > exten => _0033X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=0033123456789)
    > exten => _0033X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    >
    > (All completely untested)
    >
    > Except that I can't make this feature work :(

    Many thanks, I'll have a bash when I get a free hour or three. That
    gets slotted into extensions.conf or extensions_custom.conf I suppose?

    Would that interfere with/bypass FreePbx's Outbound Routes? If for
    some reason Betamax was down, then a second trunk (another SIP
    provider or landline) would be used.
    , Jul 18, 2008
  18. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    On Jul 18, 12:33 am, Jono <> wrote:
    > alexd explained on 17/07/2008 :
    >
    > > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:40:55 -0700, voiptalker wrote:

    > >> But, do you know of any way to send CLI based on number called? For
    > >> example, I'd like London based contacts to see my London number when
    > >> they receive a call, Cambridge contacts to see a Cambridge number and
    > >> Paris contacts to see a Paris CLI - no matter which extension the call
    > >> is made from.

    > > Is this with FreePBX or vanilla Asterisk? Asterisk dialplans certainly
    > > provide the power and flexibility to do this; whether or not you can with
    > > FreePBX is another matter :)

    > I can't see voiptalker's post..
    >
    > Anyway, yes it can be done in FreePBX.

    OK. I don't immediately see how to achieve this

    > A bit cumbersome in the gui; nevertheless, possible.

    Sounds a bit like "now don't try this at home now kids" :) I'll have a
    tinker with Theo's idea to see what happens - or not..... Cheers
    , Jul 18, 2008
  19. Theo Markettos

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:00:05 -0700, voiptalker wrote:

    > On Jul 18, 12:07 am, Theo Markettos <theom >
    > wrote:

    >> If you can make Asterisk's CLID feature work, how about something like:
    >>
    >> exten => _004420X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=00442012345678)
    >> exten => _004420X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    >> exten => _00441223X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=00441223999999)
    >> exten => _00441223X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
    >> exten => _0033X.,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=0033123456789)
    >> exten => _0033X.,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)

    > Would that interfere with/bypass FreePbx's Outbound Routes?

    The key is the Set() bit, which sets the CallerID based on the prefix of
    the number you've dialled. Theo's example assumes you dial straight out
    without pressing '9' first, in international format. So to call
    02087654321, you would dial 00442087654321, and because that matches the
    pattern '_004420X.', the CallerID for that call is set to
    '0044201234568'. If you dial 9 first, change the pattern to '_9004420X.'.

    So, you don't necessarily need the Dial() bit. After the Set(), you can
    jump into wherever FreePBX does it's dialling [so long as FreePBX doesn't
    Set(CALLERID anywhere after you've done it]. If you're going to be
    testing this, I recommend you open an Asterisk console and 'core set
    verbose 5' so you can see what it's doing.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:22:26 up 6 days, 21:57, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.06
    alexd, Jul 18, 2008
  20. Theo Markettos

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:58:51 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Well the way I do it is to make the call from a number in the relevant
    > range.

    That's what voiptalker is asking for.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:38:49 up 6 days, 22:13, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.01
    alexd, Jul 18, 2008