Beta 1218 Works, RTM doesn't

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by ]{artik, May 30, 2005.

  1. ]{artik

    ]{artik Guest

    I had been running x64 CPP Beta build 1069, then 1218 & finally wen I get my
    hands on the Trial release it gives me a STOP 0*0000007B error. VIA 8237
    RAID controller seemed the likely problem, so I tried both the old drivers &
    the new WHQL ones but.... :-( ( Floppies r fine, since it read & installs
    the files the first time correctly.)

    Setup runs smoothly, installs everything but on the first boot I get the
    BSOD. I have the same problem with Longhorn Alpha 5048, Longhorn identifies
    VIA RAID 8237 installs & on the first boot I get the same STOP error.

    I'm still running win32 pro & 1218 ( but 1218 has that irritating notepad
    crashing issue.)

    Any ideas...

    Thanks

    ]{artik

    ]{artik, May 30, 2005

  2. you need updated drivers -- your F6 assumption isn't quite right. Something
    changed between RC and release, and that is exactly the behaviour. Get the
    new drivers directly from ViaArena.com or from PlanetAMD64.com. Rebuild your
    F6 disk, and you should be OK with a fresh install.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2005

  3. I too have had significant problems with this chipset and drivers. I did
    download the latest driver package from viaarena and from planetamd64 (I
    tried both locations in case one of the downloads was corrupted somehow). It
    didn't help. I struggled through multiple BSODs trying to get the RTM release
    installed. Eventually I was able to get it fully installed.

    I then booted into XP Pro and made an image of the x64 partition using
    Acronis True Image. I still am getting a BSOD when trying to install .NET
    beta 2 (I don't recall the exact error and can't recreate it at the moment
    since I'm not at home. But I'm assuming it is related to the SATA driver as I
    had such difficulties getting past it during the install)

    That BSOD hoses up the partition bad enough that it won't even load x64
    anymore. When I select the x64 install it goes to a black screen and doesn't
    do anything. So I have to reinstall the x64 image I created of the partition.

    I have been able to install the latest NVIDIA and REALTEK drivers.

    I haven't had a significant amount of time to see if the SATA drivers have
    fixed my other problems. But I thought I'd let you know, you aren't alone.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 30, 2005
  4. ]{artik

    ]{artik Guest

    I finally made a clean, clean install & its working... :) but ... Longhorn
    5048 doesn't Though in the release notes of LH it does mention abt "no F6"
    option & "no workarround " for the same. The 40XX release of LH had the F6
    option... Wonder why do they change the setup procedure frm build to build ?
    Guess will have to wait a while .... I dont have the 40XX build anymore :-(

    Thanks
    ]{

    ]{artik, May 31, 2005
  5. ]{artik wrote:
    > I finally made a clean, clean install & its working... :) but ...
    > Longhorn 5048 doesn't Though in the release notes of LH it does
    > mention abt "no F6" option & "no workarround " for the same. The 40XX
    > release of LH had the F6 option... Wonder why do they change the
    > setup procedure frm build to build ? Guess will have to wait a while
    > .... I dont have the 40XX build anymore :-(
    > Thanks
    > ]{

    Longhorn uses a later build of ntldr.

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, May 31, 2005
  6. these longhorn builds are PRE-BETA. They are NOT ready for prime time, and
    may have all sorts of anomolies and oddities. Wait for at least beta 1.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 31, 2005
  7. Use the F6 Drivers off the Windows Server 2003 disk.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2005