BestChoiceDigital.com - Are These Guys Any Good???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CommanderDave, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. CommanderDave, Apr 11, 2005

  2. CommanderDave

    ecm Guest

    CommanderDave wrote:
    > Does anyone know of, or had dealings with, an outfit called Best
    > Choice Digital? They have an awesome deal on a Nikon D70. I'm
    > wondering how many ways this could bite me in the butt. Thanks...dave

    Wow! They have the worst rating on www.resellerratings.com that I've
    ever seen! Run away.....

    ecm, Apr 11, 2005

  3. CommanderDave

    Kevin K Guest

    well since that site is owned by pricegrabber I would give this guys
    info about 0 weight.

    cheers

    Kevin K, Apr 11, 2005
  4. CommanderDave

    RK Guest

    I've hooked up to that site and have seen two offers.

    One without lens. Look carefully at that D-70 ad. First thing is some
    wording which says that lens pictured not 'inclued' with camera. In
    fact, nothing seems to be included so you'll get hustled for a lens,
    battery, strap, etc......

    The second add, with lens, does not identify the lens manufacturer.

    Then click on the RAM report card. Dead link.

    Usually homework on a site like this turns on a lot of red lights
    pretty quickly. Oh, and the site is slow and not well formatted.

    The reviews on the web of this company are horrific. They are among a
    select group that should be put out of business. Note that Google lists
    them as a sponsored link...

    Stick with B&H, Adorama, etc.

    RK, Apr 11, 2005
  5. CommanderDave

    Tony Guest

    WHat is usuallt "Awesome" about these places is the awesome reaming job
    they do on your credit cards.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/st...01415835&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=3076

    Tony, Apr 11, 2005
  6. CommanderDave

    Renee Guest

    > Does anyone know of, or had dealings with, an outfit called Best
    > Choice Digital? They have an awesome deal on a Nikon D70. I'm
    > wondering how many ways this could bite me in the butt. Thanks...dave
    >

    > http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/st...01415835&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=3076

    Scroll to the right on the Nikon D-70 Product Details page to see a list of
    accessories . . .

    $240 - 128 MB Hi speed CF card
    $500 - 512 MB Hi speed CF card
    $600 - 1 GB Hi speed CF card

    (I recently paid $44 (with rebate) for my 1 GB Hi speed CF card -- wish I
    had picked up a couple more at that price for vacations.)

    Also, a 3-year extended warranty on a $529 camera is $400.

    These prices are steep. I pity the unsuspecting buyer who might not know
    better.

    Renee, Apr 12, 2005
  7. On 11 Apr 2005 09:05:30 -0700, "RK" <> wrote:

    >I've hooked up to that site and have seen two offers.
    >
    >One without lens. Look carefully at that D-70 ad. First thing is some
    >wording which says that lens pictured not 'inclued' with camera. In
    >fact, nothing seems to be included so you'll get hustled for a lens,
    >battery, strap, etc......
    >
    >The second add, with lens, does not identify the lens manufacturer.
    >
    >Then click on the RAM report card. Dead link.
    >
    >Usually homework on a site like this turns on a lot of red lights
    >pretty quickly. Oh, and the site is slow and not well formatted.
    >
    >The reviews on the web of this company are horrific. They are among a
    >select group that should be put out of business. Note that Google lists
    >them as a sponsored link...
    >
    >Stick with B&H, Adorama, etc.

    Best Choice Digital is scum.

    0.12 out of 10.0 should tell you all you need to know.

    Oliver Costich, Apr 12, 2005
  8. THANK YOU ALL!!! Re: BestChoiceDigital.com - Are These Guys Any Good???

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 04:29:19 GMT, CommanderDave <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of, or had dealings with, an outfit called Best
    >Choice Digital? They have an awesome deal on a Nikon D70. I'm
    >wondering how many ways this could bite me in the butt. Thanks...dave
    >

    >http://www.bestchoicedigital.com/st...01415835&Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=3076

    I want to thank all who responded. I'll keep looking. The feedback
    part of eBay is one of the features I like most. As an example,
    cametaauctions, who has 85,501 feedbacks sports a 99.8% positive
    feedback. That equals 2 bad deals out of a 1,000. pretty impressive.

    I just discovered the Digital camera newsgroups and have learned a
    lot.

    Again, thank you...dave

    CommanderDave, Apr 12, 2005
  9. May be you can have a look at http://www.ripoffreport.com
    I have written a review on it for my last purchase. It seems to be a very
    common way for them to increase the initial interesting price ...
    ===========hereby a copy of my review================================
    I have recently ordered on bestchoicedigital website a canon S-60 digital
    camera at the amazing price of 289$.
    But before being shipped, I have received a phone call, at 9 PM (I was
    asleep :-(), telling me that for that price I only get a short lasting
    battery (20'), a standard battery charger, no warranty at all, and a 16 Mo
    CF card. So they recommend me to take for extra 120$, a pack with a long
    lasting battery, a quick charger, an international warranty (I'm French),
    and a 32 Mo CF card. However I didn't not need the 32 MO CF (I already have
    a 1 GO one) I took the pack.
    What I have received: a quick charger, the same battery as describe on
    product details for the initial price (NB-2LH), a 32 MO CF, and a
    USA/CANADA warranty...By the way the CBC-NB2 Car Battery Charger Kit
    describe on product details on the web site was not present.
    So what I need now is to buy an extra battery because the one delivered
    last too short, and expecting that when I will return in France I will not
    have to use the warranty.

    I HAVE PAID 120 $ FOR NOTHING

    francois gilles via PhotoKB.com, Apr 13, 2005
  10. On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:19:41 GMT, "francois gilles via PhotoKB.com"
    <> wrote:

    >May be you can have a look at http://www.ripoffreport.com
    >I have written a review on it for my last purchase. It seems to be a very
    >common way for them to increase the initial interesting price ...
    >===========hereby a copy of my review================================
    >I have recently ordered on bestchoicedigital website a canon S-60 digital
    >camera at the amazing price of 289$.
    >But before being shipped, I have received a phone call, at 9 PM (I was
    >asleep :-(), telling me that for that price I only get a short lasting
    >battery (20'), a standard battery charger, no warranty at all, and a 16 Mo
    >CF card. So they recommend me to take for extra 120$, a pack with a long
    >lasting battery, a quick charger, an international warranty (I'm French),
    >and a 32 Mo CF card. However I didn't not need the 32 MO CF (I already have
    >a 1 GO one) I took the pack.
    >What I have received: a quick charger, the same battery as describe on
    >product details for the initial price (NB-2LH), a 32 MO CF, and a
    >USA/CANADA warranty...By the way the CBC-NB2 Car Battery Charger Kit
    >describe on product details on the web site was not present.
    >So what I need now is to buy an extra battery because the one delivered
    >last too short, and expecting that when I will return in France I will not
    >have to use the warranty.
    >
    >I HAVE PAID 120 $ FOR NOTHING

    Hello Francois,
    I want to thank you for your response. From other comments I had
    decided to keep looking. The great response that I received is why I
    go on usenet and look for advice. A lot of good people who bring a lot
    of experience to the group. I'm sorry your stay in the USA included
    this bad experience. I hope you were able to use the Canon S-60 and
    get some great shots of this country. Good luck to you for the rest of
    your stay......dave

    CommanderDave, Apr 14, 2005
  11. CommanderDave

    Pesakovic Guest

    Hi everyone.
    I felt responsible to share my experience, although I haven't had any
    direct contact with the seller mentioned above. If you tried to go to
    www.starlightcamera.com, you would see that the site does not exist any
    more. Last October I was looking for a camera online and Star Light
    seemed to be among the cheapest. Fortunately, I realized very soon what
    kind of business they conduct and without any damage to my CC I managed
    to cancel the order and go with another store. What is important, by
    reading the reviews from different people, the methods that BCD uses
    are exactly the same as SLC did, so if not the same guys, these are of
    the same kind. Their busines philosophy is: if we push it hard with
    100 people, it will work with 5 of them at least. Unfortunately, they
    manage to get away with it. I am surprised that nobody filled a law
    suit agains them yet and it seems that would be the only way to protect
    customers against the sellers like this.

    Pesakovic, Apr 14, 2005
  12. CommanderDave

    measekite Guest

    Pesakovic wrote:

    >Hi everyone.
    >I felt responsible to share my experience, although I haven't had any
    >direct contact with the seller mentioned above. If you tried to go to
    >www.starlightcamera.com, you would see that the site does not exist any
    >more. Last October I was looking for a camera online and Star Light
    >seemed to be among the cheapest. Fortunately, I realized very soon what
    >kind of business they conduct and without any damage to my CC I managed
    >to cancel the order and go with another store. What is important, by
    >reading the reviews from different people, the methods that BCD uses
    >are exactly the same as SLC did, so if not the same guys, these are of
    >the same kind. Their busines philosophy is: if we push it hard with
    >100 people, it will work with 5 of them at least. Unfortunately, they
    >manage to get away with it. I am surprised that nobody filled a law
    >suit agains them yet and it seems that would be the only way to protect
    >customers against the sellers like this.

    There are way too many online whores. At least in the camera business
    there are many fine places to purchase a name brand camera. In the
    printer ink business the whores prevail for the most part.

    measekite, Apr 15, 2005