    who is the best usenet provider?? someone please help i think i am being
    cheated or swindled!

    , Jul 19, 2007

  2. sittingduck Guest

    wrote:

    > who is the best usenet provider??

    The one that fits your particular needs.

    sittingduck, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Slacker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > who is the best usenet provider?? someone please help i think i am being
    > cheated or swindled!

    not surprising-- given your approach to resolving it....

    Slacker, Jul 19, 2007
  4. Guest

    can someone please give me a real answer, i just need a friend or a tid bit
    of help

    , Jul 19, 2007
  5. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > who is the best usenet provider?? someone please help i think i am being
    > cheated or swindled!

    And so are all of us (TINU).

    meerkat, Jul 19, 2007
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > who is the best usenet provider?? someone please help i think i am
    > being cheated or swindled!

    You have different kinds of usenet needs depending upon what you are
    doing. When you are texting, you need to be able to upload, whereas
    when you are downloading binaries, you don't. There are free
    newsservers, some of which don't allow uploading/posting. There are
    free newsservers, some of which don't carry any binaries.

    When you are text newsing, you don't need very many gigs, so you can buy
    a very very cheap block of non-expiring gigs which would last you
    forever on a commercial NSP. When you are downloading binaries, it is
    more likely that you will need more gigs, so how much it costs is
    determined by where you get your gigs.

    If you download mostly from free newsservers, you don't need to buy as
    many gigs. If you use a newsreader which can access multiple
    newsservers at a time, it isn't as inconvenient when your particular
    newsreader is incomplete. The more you spend on a newsserver, if you
    spend wisely, then the more you get in terms of redundancy and completes
    and retention for the binaries.

    One newsgroup that is worth a little bit of information but not much is
    alt.free.newsservers. There are other newsgroups which compare the
    binary 'condition' of various commercials NSPs.

    A useful website for free newsservers is Sebastien Willemijns. Another
    is the index of free newsservers. Some commercial NSPs which sell
    economical non-expiring blocks are astaweb, usenet-news, and octanews.

    http://www.nntpeng.willemijns.com/ Links and F.A.Q About Open Nntp
    Servers
    http://www.sforum.nl/nntp/show.php?l=en free newsserver index.
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/ Astraweb Usenet News Server
    http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=home Usenet-News
    http://www.octanews.com/ New Block Pricing

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 19, 2007
  7. Slacker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > can someone please give me a real answer, i just need a friend or a tid
    > bit
    > of help

    get a dog...or rent a hooker.

    Slacker, Jul 19, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > can someone please give me a real answer, i just need a friend or a tid bit
    > of help

    If you go through a lot of downloads think about Giganews. If your needs
    are not that great, http://news.astraweb.com/ is good for nearly two
    years for me for $10.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  9. Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:06:36 GMT, wrote:

    >can someone please give me a real answer, i just need a friend or a tid bit
    >of help

    It's obvious you haven't listened to ANY of the advice that's been
    provided to you, so what's the point?

    Evan Platt, Jul 19, 2007
  10. Mike Easter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> who is the best usenet provider?? someone please help i think i am
    >> being cheated or swindled!

    > You have different kinds of usenet needs depending upon what you are
    > doing. When you are texting, you need to be able to upload, whereas
    > when you are downloading binaries, you don't. There are free
    > newsservers, some of which don't allow uploading/posting. There are
    > free newsservers, some of which don't carry any binaries.
    >
    > When you are text newsing, you don't need very many gigs, so you can buy
    > a very very cheap block of non-expiring gigs which would last you
    > forever on a commercial NSP. When you are downloading binaries, it is
    > more likely that you will need more gigs, so how much it costs is
    > determined by where you get your gigs.
    >
    > If you download mostly from free newsservers, you don't need to buy as
    > many gigs. If you use a newsreader which can access multiple
    > newsservers at a time, it isn't as inconvenient when your particular
    > newsreader is incomplete. The more you spend on a newsserver, if you
    > spend wisely, then the more you get in terms of redundancy and completes
    > and retention for the binaries.
    >
    > One newsgroup that is worth a little bit of information but not much is
    > alt.free.newsservers. There are other newsgroups which compare the
    > binary 'condition' of various commercials NSPs.
    >
    > A useful website for free newsservers is Sebastien Willemijns. Another
    > is the index of free newsservers. Some commercial NSPs which sell
    > economical non-expiring blocks are astaweb, usenet-news, and octanews.
    >
    > http://www.nntpeng.willemijns.com/ Links and F.A.Q About Open Nntp
    > Servers
    > http://www.sforum.nl/nntp/show.php?l=en free newsserver index.
    > http://www.news.astraweb.com/ Astraweb Usenet News Server
    > http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=home Usenet-News
    > http://www.octanews.com/ New Block Pricing

    Mike, your patience with this Google Grouper Emulator is making me dizzy
    and my hair is starting to bleed. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2007
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Mike, your patience with this Google Grouper Emulator is making me dizzy
    > and my hair is starting to bleed. :)

    It's his old world charm. Happens to a lot of people.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  12. Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> A useful website for free newsservers is Sebastien Willemijns.
    >> Another is the index of free newsservers. Some commercial NSPs
    >> which sell economical non-expiring blocks are astaweb, usenet-news,
    >> and octanews.

    > Mike, your patience with this Google Grouper Emulator is making me
    > dizzy and my hair is starting to bleed. :)

    It isn't person to person. This is a community. It is to the other
    lurking people who are looking for/ need/ news information, like GGers.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 19, 2007
  13. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Mike, your patience with this Google Grouper Emulator is making me dizzy
    >> and my hair is starting to bleed. :)

    > It's his old world charm. Happens to a lot of people.

    That must be it.

    All I can offer is old shark charm.

    Seriously, Mike's patience is remarkable.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2007
  14. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> A useful website for free newsservers is Sebastien Willemijns.
    >>> Another is the index of free newsservers. Some commercial NSPs
    >>> which sell economical non-expiring blocks are astaweb, usenet-news,
    >>> and octanews.

    >> Mike, your patience with this Google Grouper Emulator is making me
    >> dizzy and my hair is starting to bleed. :)

    > It isn't person to person. This is a community. It is to the other
    > lurking people who are looking for/ need/ news information, like
    > GGers.

    Yes, it is a community. Of course this should bring brickbats from the
    "there is no us" crowd...

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2007
  15. samuel Guest

    wrote in

    > who is the best usenet provider?? someone please help i think
    > i am being cheated or swindled!

    giganews

    samuel, Jul 20, 2007
  16. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Mike, your patience with this Google Grouper Emulator is making me
    >>> dizzy and my hair is starting to bleed. :)

    >> It isn't person to person. This is a community. It is to the other
    >> lurking people who are looking for/ need/ news information, like
    >> GGers.

    > Yes, it is a community. Of course this should bring brickbats from the
    > "there is no us" crowd...

    TINU - Hell, I've not used a brickbat in a long time. Feels kinda good.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 20, 2007
  17. Mara Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:12:32 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> It isn't person to person. This is a community. It is to the other
    >>> lurking people who are looking for/ need/ news information, like
    >>> GGers.

    >> Yes, it is a community. Of course this should bring brickbats from the
    >> "there is no us" crowd...

    >TINU - Hell, I've not used a brickbat in a long time. Feels kinda good.

    I use a croquet mallet for this kind of job.

    --
    There's nothing in life so difficult that a Microsoft manual can't make it
    completely incomprehensible. -- Douglas Adams

    Mara, Jul 20, 2007
  18. Guest

    can you please tell me why??

    , Jul 20, 2007
  19. Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Jul 20, 2007
  20. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > can you please tell me why??

    If you don't start constructing your news group posts by proper quoting
    as previously referenced, I'm going to killfile your posts.

    That means that I will configure my newsreader or my head in such a way
    that anything you say 'disappears' from the postings of the rest of the
    group.

    You/ your messages/ will become invisible. The reason I would want
    them/you to become invisible is because they/you don't communicate
    functionally. There is no context for the words 'can you please tell me
    why'

    You have been advised repetitively that you are posting wrong and you
    are ignoring the advice. It makes you look like you are incredibly
    stupid or bullheaded or a troll. If you don't know what a troll is in
    the context of usenet posters, go look it up.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 20, 2007