Best wireless router < 300 EURO for EUROPE is...???

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by raylopez99, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Hi all--I'm looking for a European Standard wireless router and DSL
    modem that I can carry around with me in my numerous travels around
    Europe, set up with the numerous ISP providers I have (I will be toting
    my two computers with me, and be setting up accounts in various
    countries), that will give me the least amount of hassle, given the
    myriad EU regulations in this area (for example, Spain blocks certain
    lower channels in the 802.11 standard), for a price of less than 300E
    (or about $360), for a Windows XP Home Network that consists of two
    computers: a late model Dell laptop with wireless 801.11b/g built in
    and a late model Pentium 4 tower (with Ethernet 10/100 and USB ports)
    Any ideas?

    QUESTION #1 -

    What standard should I adopt? Wi-Fi (802.11? b or g?). Blue-tooth?
    Stick with Ethernet (wired) only? Remember the exercise is to get
    maximum compatibility with these countries: Ireland, UK, Spain, Italy,
    Germany, France, Greece, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Malta,
    Switzerland, Denmark and Lithuania.

    QUESTION #2 -

    What is the best router, specifically a wired router and a wireless
    router for ADSL? I can live without wireless BTW, if wireless gives me
    problems (recall Spain, and I think, if memory serves me right, in
    Italy you technically need a commercial license of some sort to operate
    Wi-Fi--not that anybody really cares about the law, nor do I really
    care if I'm breaking the law since for the most part my transmission
    will be low power, for a single flat, two computers as per the above,
    so I doubt anybody would object).

    Thanks in advance. I did check some official EU website for this
    issue, and, as can be expected for anything done by the EU, it was
    extremely comprehensive as well as extremely worthless. From what I
    could gather, 802.11b is not specifically banned in any country but
    there are restrictions ranging from blocking certain channels, max.
    power thresholds, and in some countries a commercial operators license
    ($$$) is required.

    RL

    raylopez99, Jan 9, 2006