    but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot of
    time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

    I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

    t. wise, Sep 4, 2004

  2. t. wise

    M.B. Guest

    t. wise wrote:
    > I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
    > What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's WinDVD,
    > but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot of
    > time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

    The two biggies are WinDVD and Power DVD. I've used both, although I
    haven't used Power DVD in a while, and I prefer WinDVD. But I know a
    lot of people prefer PowerDVD. So you might want to try it.

    M.B., Sep 4, 2004

  3. t. wise

    Nonymous Guest

    "t. wise" <> wrote in message
    > I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
    > What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

    WinDVD,
    > but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

    of
    > time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

    I'm in the PowerDVD club. I used to use a copy of WinDVD that a friend gave
    me but then I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with a DVD drive I bought.
    Much better software. IMO, of course.

    Nonymous, Sep 4, 2004
  4. t. wise

    Rick Guest

    "Nonymous" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "t. wise" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
    > > What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

    > WinDVD,
    > > but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

    > of
    > > time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

    > I'm in the PowerDVD club. I used to use a copy of WinDVD that a friend gave
    > me but then I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with a DVD drive I bought.
    > Much better software. IMO, of course.

    PowerDVD is my second favorite DVD player. In terms of
    video quality and smoothness I still prefer the old Ravisent
    Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
    go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
    a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
    deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
    it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
    through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

    Rick

    Rick, Sep 4, 2004
  5. t. wise

    Paul Bird Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
    > go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
    > a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
    > deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
    > it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
    > through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

    How do you know? Do you have a lab test program for this? I'd like to get
    round this but as you say, hadn't noticed.

    Paul

    Paul Bird, Sep 4, 2004
  6. t. wise

    Rick Guest

    "Paul Bird" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > > Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
    > > go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
    > > a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
    > > deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
    > > it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
    > > through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

    > How do you know? Do you have a lab test program for this? I'd like to get
    > round this but as you say, hadn't noticed.

    Paul, this issue goes way WAY back... Developers raised
    hell about kmixer when Win2K was released because they
    couldn't properly sync audio streams. But going through
    kmixer was "required" according to MS design specs.
    Eventually a few developers were given workarounds so
    their apps wouldn't have to go through kmixer. Ravisent's
    32-bit Cinemaster drivers were developed prior to Win2K
    and were never designed or required to go though kmixer.

    I didn't mean to open a can of worms here. It's the kind
    of thing where one probably won't even notice this delay
    unless one sees side-by-side comparisons with a player
    that doesn't have it. And almost all players released in
    the past few years have it.

    Rick

    Rick, Sep 4, 2004
  7. t. wise

    OhMy Guest

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 06:19:45 -0400, "Nonymous" <>
    wrote:

    >"t. wise" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
    >> What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

    >WinDVD,
    >> but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

    >of
    >> time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

    >I'm in the PowerDVD club. I used to use a copy of WinDVD that a friend gave
    >me but then I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with a DVD drive I bought.
    >Much better software. IMO, of course.

    I use PowerDVD too. I hate load times and PowerDVD loads a whole lot
    faster than WinDVD. Movie quality is good too.

    OhMy, Sep 4, 2004
  8. t. wise

    John Eckart Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Paul Bird" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> "Rick" <> wrote in message
    >> > Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
    >> > go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
    >> > a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
    >> > deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
    >> > it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
    >> > through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

    >> How do you know? Do you have a lab test program for this? I'd like to get
    >> round this but as you say, hadn't noticed.

    > Paul, this issue goes way WAY back... Developers raised
    > hell about kmixer when Win2K was released because they
    > couldn't properly sync audio streams. But going through
    > kmixer was "required" according to MS design specs.
    > Eventually a few developers were given workarounds so
    > their apps wouldn't have to go through kmixer. Ravisent's
    > 32-bit Cinemaster drivers were developed prior to Win2K
    > and were never designed or required to go though kmixer.
    >
    > I didn't mean to open a can of worms here. It's the kind
    > of thing where one probably won't even notice this delay
    > unless one sees side-by-side comparisons with a player
    > that doesn't have it. And almost all players released in
    > the past few years have it.

    Thanks for telling me! I was blissfully unaware of the problem, but now I'm probably going to notice! You're giving out too much information. ;)

    John Eckart, Sep 4, 2004
  9. t. wise

    Autodidact Guest

    I may be way off, but doesn't the ATI Multimedia Center DVD player software
    buffer the video a bit so that it can sync back with the audio?

    Autodidact, Sep 5, 2004
  10. "t. wise" <> wrote in message

    > I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
    > What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

    WinDVD,
    > but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

    of
    > time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

    Media Player Classic

    http://snipurl.com/6t57

    (long url)
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358&release_id=227046

    Adrian Boliston, Sep 5, 2004
  11. t. wise

    Jeff Hansman Guest

    Nvidia makes a program now, nVDVD, which is pretty good. I've played with
    it, but not used it extensively. Might be worth taking a look at.

    Jeff Hansman, Sep 5, 2004
  12. t. wise

    t. wise Guest

    Anyone liking Nero's ShowTime?

    t. wise, Sep 6, 2004
  13. t. wise

    Tony Guest

    "M.B." <> wrote in message
    > t. wise wrote:
    > > I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
    > > What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

    WinDVD,
    > > but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a

    lot of
    > > time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.
    > >
    > > I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.
    > >

    > The two biggies are WinDVD and Power DVD. I've used both, although I
    > haven't used Power DVD in a while, and I prefer WinDVD. But I know a
    > lot of people prefer PowerDVD. So you might want to try it.

    Anyone know if WinDVD will work properly under XP SP2?

    Tony, Sep 8, 2004