    Bill

    poston8 [@] comcast.net
    Wild Bill 2 (^_-)

    Wild Bill 2, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Wild Bill 2

    BobS Guest

    Very Happy with 1and1.com ($6/month) and ImageEvent.com ($25/year -
    1500 pictures w/o bandwidth limitation or limit on megabytes of
    storeage AND direct links to the pictures from OTHER websites. They pay
    for the bandwidth. ;-) Hope they stay in business!.)

    BobS, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Wild Bill 2

    Dave Guest

    BobS wrote:
    > Very Happy with 1and1.com ($6/month)

    I'd personally steer well clear of 1and1. Briefly, here are my reasons.
    Look around at some posts in web authoring specific newsgroups (e.g.
    uk.net.web.authoring or others)

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?h...thmkj7vis9si0do2sr1jva32hq3t%404ax.com&rnum=1

    for move views, as I know this is not the place.

    When you want to join up with 1and1 it is very easy. They take your
    credit card details via their secure server, which they tell you is safe.

    Now try to get out of a contract with them, and it is all very
    different. Suddenly the encrypted web site is not longer sufficiently
    secure, but you must use a FAX (which sends the data unencrypted) or
    write instead with your signature on it. 1&1 have no record of your
    signature, so have nothing to check it against, but they insist on it
    before allowing you to cancel a contract. As far as I can see this is
    done for one reason and one reason only - to make it difficult to cancel
    a contract, so you keep paying them.

    They have a number of systems in place that make it difficult to leave
    them. As such, it is easier to just keep paying them, as the effort
    involved in breaking out of their contracts is much greater than the
    effort required to let them keep taking your money.

    I moved a domain from 1and1 to 123-reg. Transferring the domain required
    my signature before 1and1 would allow me to do it. That I did, as I had
    no choice. But then some 6 months later 1&1 billed me for the renewal of
    the domain I'd transfered to another ISP 6 months earlier. Apparently
    I'd transfered the domain, but not canceled the contract. They said I
    had to write or FAX to get the contract canceled, and that I would still
    have to pay the domain renewal costs anyway. I had a letter from then
    threatening debt collectors for £10 (~$20).

    I finally got them to cancel the contract without a FAX and to waive the
    charges, but only after I put up a lot of fuss.

    I have not used 1&1 to host a web site (I hosted it myself on my own
    server) but did use them for domain registration. Their method of
    redirection means that web sites you host yourself do poorly on internet
    search engines. Note in this case I am being specific and saying if you
    use your own disk space, and your own web server, which is probably not
    what you want.

    One web professional said to me "1&1 are good if you don't know what you
    want". I soon reasilsed the technical problems their methods were
    creating me, and so decided to leave. But leaving was not easy.

    Dave, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Wild Bill 2

    BobSam Guest

    Well thank you for the insight on 1and1. I signed on for free during
    their give-away program. That gives us 500 megabytes and 10 gig of
    bandwidth per month. My son bought a $10/month membership so we can
    exchange LARGE video files of the new twin girls they had in August.
    Fantastic to be able to download a 80 megabyte mpg1 (vhs quality) file
    that was created just minutes ago. For the $10 he got 2 gig of
    storeage and 50 gigs of bandwidth per month. He also Xfers complete
    folders full of digital pictures to his site and then we download them.
    So it is 100megabytes and will take 35 minutes to upload. He just
    drags the folder in to FTP96 window and goes off to work. After it is
    done uploading and not activity for several minutes, 1and1 breaks the
    connection and when he comes home from work he closes the ftp program.
    I sign on ftp and drag the folder to the D drive and go have breakfast
    and then come home and enjoy the grandbabies. He is Jupiter and I am
    in Central Illinois. All this for $10/month! I love technology!.

    We never use the 1and1 hosting software. we just do it in front page
    and then upload it. Works very good and easy for us. But, we have
    been playing for several years now and others might not find it that
    easy.

    Yep, life is full of horror stories.

    Best Regards,
    BobSam

    BobSam, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Wild Bill 2

    Michael Guest

    I've used Lunar Pages for over a year and they have been pretty reliable. I
    can guarantee ALL web host companies go down at some time during the year
    and/or have growing pains some times. I use to have behosted.com, but my
    god...their servers went down several times in a month and I used them for
    email also. When I went to cancel service and I told them it was because of
    their servers crashing all the time they told me that's normal and everyone
    does that. Hahahahaha....it was an insult for them to say that to me...so I
    cancelled with them right away. DO NOT USE BEHOSTED.COM.

    Michael, Jan 2, 2005
  6. On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:58:41 -0500, Wild Bill 2 <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Please tell me the best web hosting site.

    How long is a piece of string? My preference is for http://myqth.com.
    For $48 a year you get 1000MB Disk Space, 40GB Per month data
    transfer, 100 POP3 E-mail accounts, CGI-BIN, 2 Mysql Databases
    PHP, Control Panel, Daily Backups, SSL Secure Server and Frontpage
    Extensions.

    Shane Matthews, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Wild Bill 2

    Dave Guest

    we just do it in front page
    > and then upload it. Works very good and eBobSam wrote:
    > Well thank you for the insight on 1and1. I signed on for free during
    > their give-away program. That gives us 500 megabytes and 10 gig of
    > bandwidth per month. My son bought a $10/month membership so we can
    > exchange LARGE video files of the new twin girls they had in August.
    > Fantastic to be able to download a 80 megabyte mpg1 (vhs quality) file
    > that was created just minutes ago. For the $10 he got 2 gig of
    > storeage and 50 gigs of bandwidth per month. He also Xfers complete
    > folders full of digital pictures to his site and then we download them.
    > So it is 100megabytes and will take 35 minutes to upload. He just
    > drags the folder in to FTP96 window and goes off to work. After it is
    > done uploading and not activity for several minutes, 1and1 breaks the
    > connection and when he comes home from work he closes the ftp program.
    > I sign on ftp and drag the folder to the D drive and go have breakfast
    > and then come home and enjoy the grandbabies. He is Jupiter and I am
    > in Central Illinois. All this for $10/month! I love technology!.

    It seems you are geting what you want, at a price you are happy with.
    For now at least that is good.

    > We never use the 1and1 hosting software.

    If you don't object I will correct you there. You are using their
    hosting service, as you are using their web servers, and their disk
    space. So they are hosting the site for you.

    What I did was bit different. I used my own web server, running on my
    own computer, which needed to be on 24 hours/day of course.
    So they were gettin little money out of me (around £10/year for a
    domain, with no monthly hosting fees, as I hosted the site myself.)

    > we just do it in front page
    > and then upload it. Works very good and easy for us. But, we have
    > been playing for several years now and others might not find it that
    > easy.

    Good it works well for you.

    > Yep, life is full of horror stories.

    What botheres me with 1and1 is their attitude to bussiness. You are
    clearly happy with your service, but when things go wrong, that are not
    too helpful.

    > Best Regards,
    > BobSam

    All the best, and I wish you luck with 1and1, but would still warn
    others against using them, unless their clean up their act.

    Dave, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Wild Bill 2

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:12:59 +0000, in rec.photo.digital Dave
    <> wrote:

    >What botheres me with 1and1 is their attitude to bussiness. You are
    >clearly happy with your service, but when things go wrong, that are not
    >too helpful.

    I too use their hosting service and haven't had any real issues. There was
    a problem with their mail servers being blacklisted on Spamcop.net for a
    couple days. They were aware of the problem and cleared it up quickly.
    Their tech support was also quite helpful getting around Cox, my ISP,
    blocking of off-network smtp traffic, unlike the tech support provided
    itself by Cox.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Jan 2, 2005