    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jun 18, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    Chet Guest

    Temporarily connect the old drive to the new computer. Copy the files.
    Disconnect the drive and re-install in the old computer.
    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > Just bought a new computer. What is the best way to transfer files from my

    old

    Chet, Jun 18, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    The simplest way is to burn the files to a CD.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 18, 2004
  4. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    >From: "Lloyd Jones"
    >Date: 6/18/04 6:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >The simplest way is to burn the files to a CD.
    >
    >LJ

    My old computer has no cd burner. How about I take my old computer down to
    Fry's and have them do the job?

    ArtKramr, Jun 18, 2004
  5. ArtKramr

    colin Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:
    > Just bought a new computer. What is the best way to transfer files from my old
    > computer to my new one?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    Help us to help you...what`s your OS?

    colin, Jun 18, 2004
  6. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    >From: colin
    >Date: 6/18/04 7:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >ArtKramr wrote:
    >> Just bought a new computer. What is the best way to transfer files from my

    >old
    >> computer to my new one?
    >>

    >> Arthur Kramer
    >> 344th BG 494th BS
    >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    >>

    >Help us to help you...what`s your OS?

    The old computer is windows 98. The new one is Windows XP All help appreciated.

    ArtKramr, Jun 18, 2004
  7. ArtKramr

    Steve Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    > >From: colin
    > >Date: 6/18/04 7:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >
    > >ArtKramr wrote:
    > >> Just bought a new computer. What is the best way to transfer files from

    my
    > >old
    > >> computer to my new one?
    > >>

    > >> Arthur Kramer
    > >> 344th BG 494th BS
    > >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    > >>

    > >Help us to help you...what`s your OS?
    > >

    > The old computer is windows 98. The new one is Windows XP All help

    appreciated.

    Disconnect power from both computers and earth yourself and both computers.
    Remove the old drive.
    You will then have to set it as a slave, to do this you will have to
    re-arrange the jumpers (little plastic blocks which connect a pair of pins);
    the drive should have a diagram on it which will show the correct
    arrangement.
    Then put the old drive in the new computer (there should be another
    connection block on the same ribbon cable as the existing drive), then
    connect a power supply, you should have some spare connections.

    Plug in new computer and switch on. XP, should then recognise the "new"
    partitions on the old drive and you can copy files at your leisure.

    It may not sound like it, but this is easier and quicker than burning CD's

    Remember to reset the old drive to master if you are putting it back in the
    old machine.

    Steve, Jun 18, 2004
  8. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    >From: "Steve"
    >Date: 6/18/04 10:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    >> >From: colin
    >> >Date: 6/18/04 7:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time

    >my
    >> >old

    >> >Help us to help you...what`s your OS?
    >> >

    >> The old computer is windows 98. The new one is Windows XP All help

    >appreciated.
    >>

    >Disconnect power from both computers and earth yourself and both computers.
    >Remove the old drive.
    >You will then have to set it as a slave, to do this you will have to
    >re-arrange the jumpers (little plastic blocks which connect a pair of pins);
    >the drive should have a diagram on it which will show the correct
    >arrangement.
    >Then put the old drive in the new computer (there should be another
    >connection block on the same ribbon cable as the existing drive), then
    >connect a power supply, you should have some spare connections.
    >
    >Plug in new computer and switch on. XP, should then recognise the "new"
    >partitions on the old drive and you can copy files at your leisure.
    >
    >It may not sound like it, but this is easier and quicker than burning CD's
    >
    >Remember to reset the old drive to master if you are putting it back in the
    >old machine.

    Thank you. Great stuff. Will do.Less is more.

    ArtKramr, Jun 18, 2004
  9. ArtKramr

    Thommo Guest

    (ArtKramr) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    > >From: "Steve"
    > >Date: 6/18/04 10:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >

    > >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message

    > my
    > old

    > >> The old computer is windows 98. The new one is Windows XP All help

    > appreciated.
    > >>

    > >Disconnect power from both computers and earth yourself and both computers.
    > >Remove the old drive.
    > >You will then have to set it as a slave, to do this you will have to
    > >re-arrange the jumpers (little plastic blocks which connect a pair of pins);
    > >the drive should have a diagram on it which will show the correct
    > >arrangement.
    > >Then put the old drive in the new computer (there should be another
    > >connection block on the same ribbon cable as the existing drive), then
    > >connect a power supply, you should have some spare connections.
    > >
    > >Plug in new computer and switch on. XP, should then recognise the "new"
    > >partitions on the old drive and you can copy files at your leisure.
    > >
    > >It may not sound like it, but this is easier and quicker than burning CD's
    > >
    > >Remember to reset the old drive to master if you are putting it back in the
    > >old machine.
    > >

    > Thank you. Great stuff. Will do.Less is more.
    >
    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    I have a similar problem but my new computer is a laptop. Is it still
    possible to connect the drives?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    Thommo, Jun 19, 2004
  10. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    > > >Subject: Re: Best way to transfer files
    > > >From: "Steve"
    > > >Date: 6/18/04 10:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > > >

    > > >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message

    from
    > > my
    > > old

    > > appreciated.
    > > >>
    > > >Disconnect power from both computers and earth yourself and both

    computers.
    > > >Remove the old drive.
    > > >You will then have to set it as a slave, to do this you will have to
    > > >re-arrange the jumpers (little plastic blocks which connect a pair of

    pins);
    > > >the drive should have a diagram on it which will show the correct
    > > >arrangement.
    > > >Then put the old drive in the new computer (there should be another
    > > >connection block on the same ribbon cable as the existing drive), then
    > > >connect a power supply, you should have some spare connections.
    > > >
    > > >Plug in new computer and switch on. XP, should then recognise the "new"
    > > >partitions on the old drive and you can copy files at your leisure.
    > > >
    > > >It may not sound like it, but this is easier and quicker than burning

    CD's

    > > >Remember to reset the old drive to master if you are putting it back in

    the
    > > >old machine.
    > > >

    > > Thank you. Great stuff. Will do.Less is more.
    > >
    > > Arthur Kramer
    > > 344th BG 494th BS
    > > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    > I have a similar problem but my new computer is a laptop. Is it still
    > possible to connect the drives?

    The most practical way to connect the drive in that situation would be to
    purchase a USB/IDE interface cable. CablestoGo makes one. Plug your
    harddrive into it, and the usb end into your laptop. Running windowsXP, no
    drivers are necessary, and the attached drive will be seen as a normal
    drive, and assigned a letter. Or, buy an external USB harddrive enclosure,
    and mount the desktop drive inside, and connect to the laptop's USB port.
    It's a more permanent solution if you want to use the drive as extra storage
    on a regular basis. You can't slave a desktop drive to a laptop computer's
    harddrive inside a laptop. They aren't typically designed to accommodate
    more than one internal drive connection.

    http://www.cablestogo.com/

    Thor, Jun 19, 2004
  11. Thor wrote:
    > "Thommo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> (ArtKramr) wrote in message

    > from
    >
    >>> my
    >>> old

    >>> appreciated.

    > computers.

    > pins);

    > CD's

    > the

    >>>Thank you. Great stuff. Will do.Less is more.
    >>>
    >>>Arthur Kramer
    >>>344th BG 494th BS
    >>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >>>Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >>>http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    >>I have a similar problem but my new computer is a laptop. Is it still
    >>possible to connect the drives?

    > The most practical way to connect the drive in that situation would be to
    > purchase a USB/IDE interface cable. CablestoGo makes one. Plug your
    > harddrive into it, and the usb end into your laptop. Running windowsXP, no
    > drivers are necessary, and the attached drive will be seen as a normal
    > drive, and assigned a letter. Or, buy an external USB harddrive enclosure,
    > and mount the desktop drive inside, and connect to the laptop's USB port.
    > It's a more permanent solution if you want to use the drive as extra storage
    > on a regular basis. You can't slave a desktop drive to a laptop computer's
    > harddrive inside a laptop. They aren't typically designed to accommodate
    > more than one internal drive connection.
    >
    > http://www.cablestogo.com/

    Wouldn't you need the drive connected to a power supply? Or does the
    USB/IDE cable provide that somehow? I'm certain the USB enclosure
    includes a power supply-at least all that I've seen do so.

    Maybe you could leave the drive connected to the PS in the old PC but
    these days with 'energy-saving' PC's that power down the hard drives
    when they aren't being used I think that would cause problems-the old PC
    probably wouldn't know that the hard drive was being used by the laptop.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 22, 2004
  12. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    > > The most practical way to connect the drive in that situation would be

    > > purchase a USB/IDE interface cable. CablestoGo makes one. Plug your
    > > harddrive into it, and the usb end into your laptop. Running windowsXP,

    no
    > > drivers are necessary, and the attached drive will be seen as a normal
    > > drive, and assigned a letter. Or, buy an external USB harddrive

    enclosure,
    > > and mount the desktop drive inside, and connect to the laptop's USB

    port.
    > > It's a more permanent solution if you want to use the drive as extra

    storage
    > > on a regular basis. You can't slave a desktop drive to a laptop

    computer's
    > > harddrive inside a laptop. They aren't typically designed to accommodate
    > > more than one internal drive connection.
    > >
    > > http://www.cablestogo.com/
    > >

    > Wouldn't you need the drive connected to a power supply? Or does the
    > USB/IDE cable provide that somehow? I'm certain the USB enclosure
    > includes a power supply-at least all that I've seen do so.

    the USB/IDE adapter cable comes with a separate switching power supply for
    the drive. It looks like a laptop power supply module, or one that comes
    with a flat panel display, but has the standard 4 pin molex power connector.

    > Maybe you could leave the drive connected to the PS in the old PC but
    > these days with 'energy-saving' PC's that power down the hard drives
    > when they aren't being used I think that would cause problems-the old PC
    > probably wouldn't know that the hard drive was being used by the laptop.

    The various power saving modes of your PC do not usually affect power
    availability to the drive. It's handled by commands to the drive's firmware,
    and the drive itself is told to spin down, and go into low power mode. It
    doesn't matter though, since the adpater I spoke of, has it's own power
    supply for operating the drive. No need to try and operate it from a PC
    power supply. You just disconnect the power and data cables from the drive
    in the old PC, and connect the USB/IDE adapter cable, and the accompanying
    power supply unit to the drive, then run the USB plug to your laptop, or
    other USB-capable computer. I do recommend a USB extension cable though,
    since the supplied cable on the USB/IDE adapter is very short, and makes it
    difficult to work with drives unless they are removed from the PC, and
    placed very near the machine you intend to connect it to. With the USB
    extension cable, you can leave the drive in it's orginal PC, and just run
    the extension cable to your laptop or whatever. It works very well.

    Thor, Jun 22, 2004