    I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.

    Cheers,
    Mark
    back again, Aug 7, 2003

  2. back again

    Jay Guest

    back again wrote:

    > Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
    > sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
    > example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
    > available, and no one gets to hog the lot?
    >
    > How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.

    Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
    better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
    use two modems.
    Jay, Aug 7, 2003

  3. back again

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:59:27 +1000, Jay <> had this to
    say:

    >Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
    >better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
    >use two modems.

    Whilst the sentiment is sound, the concept is fatally flawed.

    2 modems = 2 phone lines (or 3 if you want to actually use the phone
    as well) + 2 lots of ISP charges.

    Not a practical or economically viable solution when Jetstart is
    available.
    Gurble, Aug 7, 2003
  4. back again

    Rupert Guest

    oh duh!
    like that will be cost effective... lets see

    2xISP fees $40 each $80 a month
    3xPhone Lines ( you need two, one for each modem, plus of course the line
    for home you would be able to use with jetstream ) each $40 - not too sure
    of the current Telecom fee but thats about right $120 a month

    So for your solution, that went nowhere near answering the question asked is
    a total of $200 a month where jetstream will cost you around $80

    Rupert, Aug 7, 2003
  5. In article <>, (Robyn Nunn) wrote:
    >On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:20:10 +0530, "Rupert" <>
    >wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >Don't forget the data caps for Jetstarter. With 2+ people it won't
    >take too long to use up 5 or 10GB of international data.

    We share the 'net with three people here, one of whom admittedly is much
    of a user, and it's a rare month that we break 1GB of traffic _TOTAL_.
    Normally when I do something like a distupgrade on my debian box.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Aug 7, 2003
  6. In article <bguarp$duv$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >In article <>, (Robyn Nunn)
    > wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >We share the 'net with three people here, one of whom admittedly is much

    *SNIP*

    That should've been "not much".

    Matthew Poole, Aug 7, 2003
  7. back again

    Robyn Nunn Guest

    wrote:

    >oh duh!
    >like that will be cost effective... lets see
    >
    >2xISP fees $40 each $80 a month
    >3xPhone Lines ( you need two, one for each modem, plus of course the line
    >for home you would be able to use with jetstream ) each $40 - not too sure
    >of the current Telecom fee but thats about right $120 a month
    >
    >So for your solution, that went nowhere near answering the question asked is
    >a total of $200 a month where jetstream will cost you around $80

    Your ISP fees are a bit out - try $15-$25 per month.

    Robyn Nunn, Aug 7, 2003
  8. back again

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    (Robyn Nunn) wrote:

    > Don't forget the data caps for Jetstarter. With 2+ people it won't
    > take too long to use up 5 or 10GB of international data.

    Why, even with 200Mb+ of system updates I don't often break the 1G cap
    Who is this, Aug 7, 2003
  9. back again

    Trouser Guest

    back again wrote:

    > Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
    > sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
    > example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
    > available, and no one gets to hog the lot?
    >
    > How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    I do know that a current beta version of ipcop (ipcop.org) will do load
    balancing. There is also an add onn/hack on available now to add it to the
    current version. Got an old 486 or pentium 100?
    see: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ipcop-user
    Trouser, Aug 7, 2003
  10. back again

    AD. Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
    > better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
    > use two modems.

    That is more accurate if both users are constantly maxing out their
    connections by downloading largish files, but sharing 128k would be much
    better for intermittant traffic eg websurfing, email etc.

    That way the users get the benefits of using the 'gaps' in the other users
    traffic.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 7, 2003
  11. back again

    AD. Guest

    back again wrote:

    > Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
    > sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
    > example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
    > available, and no one gets to hog the lot?

    I don't think it would be worth trying to enforce a load balancing/traffic
    prioritising system unless one user is a heavy downloader and the other
    isn't but wants responsive surfing.

    It would get quite complicated: eg prioritise http traffic over ftp and p2p
    unless the http is a big file etc etc

    > How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?

    I reckon that would be pretty hard to achieve a fluid solution that
    optimally utilises the bandwidth of both connections (especially with
    something like Jetstart). But you might be able to hack something together.

    I haven't used it, but alt-q on OpenBSD (I think Free/NetBSD also have it)
    might be able to do what you want - at least with one connection.

    You might also be able to hack together a NAT box with two interfaces that
    can decide which interface to send stuff in or out on.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 7, 2003
  12. back again

    colinco Guest

    In article <bgtpgh$rhf19$-berlin.de>, Jay wrote...
    > So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
    > use two modems.

    Proper broadband in Australia now being constrained by "Commercial
    viability" http://tinyurl.com/jcj4
    colinco, Aug 7, 2003
  13. back again

    lily Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bgtpgh$rhf19$-berlin.de>, Jay wrote...
    > > So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
    > > use two modems.
    > >

    > Proper broadband in Australia now being constrained by "Commercial
    > viability" http://tinyurl.com/jcj4

    TELSTRA'S ADSL network will be capped at just over 1000 exchanges, with any
    future expansion dependent on the commercial viability of each new location
    activated.

    Telstra executives told a Senate committee hearing in Melbourne that the
    current network of 967 ADSL-enabled exchanges could support only an
    additional 100,000 customers.
    They told the inquiry there were 250,000 ADSL customers Australia-wide, with
    130,000 directly signed up to Telstra.

    "This is bad news," Labor IT spokeswoman Kate Lundy said. "In the context of
    eventually achieving universal broadband we are so far from that ... it is a
    lot worse than I thought."

    Telstra will measure demand for each exchange via a soon-to-be-established
    ADSL demand register.

    The Telstra executives told the committee each ADSL-enabled exchange was
    provisioned to a maximum of seven to eight per cent.

    Telstra is planning a limited expansion, with an additional 30 to 40
    exchanges to be ADSL-enabled in the near future.

    After that, exchanges will be brought online as they become commercially
    viable.

    The executive declined to identify the number of customers needed for
    commercial viability.

    A Telstra spokeswoman said the number of customers necessary varied
    depending on the size of the exchange.
    lily, Aug 7, 2003
  14. back again

    timmy! Guest

    > Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
    > better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
    > use two modems.

    Jay that has got to be the most stupid answer I have heard of.
    Tie up to phone lines and cost about the same as jetstart, stupid...

    I've seen flats with 4-5 computers all running off one jetstart account
    quite nicely.
    Reduces costs and gives everybody always on net access.

    timmy!, Aug 8, 2003
  15. back again

    timmy! Guest

    it's not a great sollution but under windows there is a program called
    bandwidth controller.

    http://www.bandwidthcontroller.com

    It will at least allow you to at least place some limits on how much of the
    bandwidth each computer can use.
    hence it will at least allow other users to surf at the same time.
    Unfortunately tho it's pretty static in that respect, say you have three
    users you would have to split the bandwidth three ways, ie each user gets
    42kbit/s of the jetstart (128kbit/s). It won't allow you to dynamically
    allocate the majority of the bandwidth to whoever is needing it. which is
    probably what u really want...

    linux methinks..

    timmy!, Aug 8, 2003
  16. back again

    Buck Rogers Guest

    back again allegedly said:

    > Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
    > sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
    > example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
    > available, and no one gets to hog the lot?
    >
    > How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    Linux will do this by default.

    Traffic is queued and shared equally if there are several, simultaneous
    streams of data flowing from different sources.

    Use a caching proxy (included, free - like Linux itself) and cut down on the
    traffic leaving your house/office/flat.
    Buck Rogers, Aug 8, 2003
  17. "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > (Robyn Nunn) wrote:
    >

    > > Don't forget the data caps for Jetstarter. With 2+ people it won't
    > > take too long to use up 5 or 10GB of international data.

    > Why, even with 200Mb+ of system updates I don't often break the 1G cap

    Scary! :). I could only use that little if I didn't download anything, used
    a text-only webbrowser, didn't check my email and didn't post to newsgroups.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 8, 2003
  18. back again

    back again Guest

    back again, Aug 8, 2003
  19. back again

    max barwell Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:50:26 +0000, back again wrote:

    > Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
    > sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for example),
    > so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is available, and
    > no one gets to hog the lot?
    >
    > How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    This can be done using Linux, although I have not done it myself, I do
    however happily share a jetstart connection using a linux firewall/router,
    that also runs the squid caching proxy.

    Anyway, read the Advanced Routing Howto on www.tldp.org:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.qdisc.html

    It's quite complicated, but it can be done...

    As for two connections, shared those amongst multiple clients

    again, TLDP is your friend:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

    and:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.loadshare.html