    Thanks

    Heidy

    , Feb 23, 2007

  2. Peter Guest

    wrote:
    > I want to send a 250 MB Video HolidaySkiing Film from a Sony Camcorder
    > I presume I will need to send the software application to play this
    > Yes? No?

    What file format is this? If it is a commonly used format, it is likely
    others will be able to play it. Otherwise, convert it to a commonly used
    format (eg mpeg) before sending it.

    > I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    > solution to this problem?

    Burn it to a cd and pop it in the post.
    If bandwidth is limited at your end, physical transfer is probably the best
    option. Sadly, pitiful bandwidth and abysmal connectivity is the norm in
    NZ.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 23, 2007

  3. -=rjh=- Guest

    wrote:
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > I want to send a 250 MB Video HolidaySkiing Film from a Sony Camcorder
    > I presume I will need to send the software application to play this
    > Yes? No?

    What format is the video? Can you reduce the size by
    editing/re-encoding/transcoding?

    > I have used www.pando.com says its good for files of up to 1GB but it
    > failed me it was going at a rate of 15kilobyes upload I have 1 Megabye
    > Dsl which was running fast the time no congestion.

    15KB/s is about right for 128Kb/s upstream ADSL.

    > I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    > solution to this problem?

    Why not let the transfer finish - it doesn't matter how long it takes,
    does it?

    I've used Bittorrent to send files, works fine for 1 to 1 transfers, can
    pause and resume etc, but will be limited by the upstream speed of your
    ADSL.

    CD might be the quickest method. Sadly...

    -=rjh=-, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Zipper Guest

    wrote:
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > I want to send a 250 MB Video HolidaySkiing Film from a Sony Camcorder
    > I presume I will need to send the software application to play this
    > Yes? No?
    >
    > I have used www.pando.com says its good for files of up to 1GB but it
    > failed me it was going at a rate of 15kilobyes upload I have 1 Megabye
    > Dsl which was running fast the time no congestion.
    >
    > I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    > solution to this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Heidy

    You should see if you can compress the movie. Xvid, or divx. There are
    very easy to use utilities these days that you just click on a movie
    file and it does everything for you. It could reduce it by a huge
    amount and then make it a reasonable size to be able to send it via the
    internet.

    Zipper, Feb 23, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > I have used www.pando.com says its good for files of up to 1GB but it
    > failed me it was going at a rate of 15kilobyes upload I have 1 Megabye
    > Dsl which was running fast the time no congestion.
    >
    > I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    > solution to this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Heidy

    In other words, your upload was going as fast as it could, unless you have one
    of the really expensive connections -- 128 Kbits/sec translates to 15 kbytes
    more or less. That's what most people will have: various download speeds & data
    cap, with 128 up.

    As somebody said: if you don't just want to let it run through the night, burn
    it on CD and mail it.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 24, 2007
  6. Brian Dooley Guest

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:25:52 +1300, Peter
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I want to send a 250 MB Video HolidaySkiing Film from a Sony Camcorder
    >> I presume I will need to send the software application to play this
    >> Yes? No?

    >What file format is this? If it is a commonly used format, it is likely
    >others will be able to play it. Otherwise, convert it to a commonly used
    >format (eg mpeg) before sending it.
    >
    >> I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    >> solution to this problem?

    >Burn it to a cd and pop it in the post.
    >If bandwidth is limited at your end, physical transfer is probably the best
    >option. Sadly, pitiful bandwidth and abysmal connectivity is the norm in
    >NZ.

    But her ISP appears to be Durham UK.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Feb 24, 2007
  7. Blue Guest

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:24:31 +1300, Brian Dooley wrote:

    >>Burn it to a cd and pop it in the post.
    >>If bandwidth is limited at your end, physical transfer is probably the best
    >>option. Sadly, pitiful bandwidth and abysmal connectivity is the norm in
    >>NZ.

    > But her ISP appears to be Durham UK.

    We are not alone then.

    Blue, Feb 24, 2007
  8. jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-23, <> wrote:

    > x-no-archive:yes

    that doesn't work unless you put it in the header

    > I want to send a 250 MB Video HolidaySkiing Film from a Sony Camcorder
    > I presume I will need to send the software application to play this
    > Yes? No?

    I think sony device3s produce MPEG video so most video capable computers
    should already have a player.

    > I have used www.pando.com says its good for files of up to 1GB but it
    > failed me it was going at a rate of 15kilobyes upload I have 1 Megabye
    > Dsl which was running fast the time no congestion.
    >
    > I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    > solution to this problem?

    physical mail, reduce the size of the file, or find a faster server.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Feb 24, 2007
  9. <> wrote:

    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > I want to send a 250 MB Video HolidaySkiing Film from a Sony Camcorder
    > I presume I will need to send the software application to play this
    > Yes? No?
    >
    > I have used www.pando.com says its good for files of up to 1GB but it
    > failed me it was going at a rate of 15kilobyes upload I have 1 Megabye
    > Dsl which was running fast the time no congestion.
    >
    > I had to cancel the transfer as it was far to slow whats the best
    > solution to this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Heidy

    I use a Gmail account and send a Gmail invite to the other person and
    have them create an account. I find files both upload to Gmail and
    download from Gmail very quickly. Far faster than if I try a direct
    transfer to the recipient.

    HTH,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Feb 24, 2007