Best way to "repair" Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ike, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Ike

    Ike Guest

    P4 HP laptop, 3.06GHz, 1.25G RAM, WXP Pro
    No weird software, no games, just a portable work station. We're a bunch
    of techie-geeks, so when we bought these, we fdisk'd them to kill all
    the commercial extras, then installed the OS and drivers. They've been
    working great for nine months. In fact, this unit has probably crashed
    once in nine months, and that was my fault (tried to get a 1986 emulator
    for a 386 to work on it).

    Mine is now acting up, putting black bars across some documents,
    displaying imagery wrong within documents. The problems exist in several
    apps. No crashes, no obvious virus/trojan/adware/etc. behavior, nothing
    trying to call home, no strange apps or processes.

    Since the problems began a week ago, I've done the usual things - one
    internal and two online virus/trojan scans, Spyware S&D and Adaware,
    Hijack This - all with negative results. I also re-installed the apps,
    checked the HD's integrity, and more. Problems persist, so I'm fairly
    sure it's clean and the problem lies with the OS.

    What's the best way to repair WXPPro?? I'm fully backed up and have the
    disk, of course, but I really don't want to go back to square one.

    ANY suggestion/help is welcome.

    Thanks!!

    Ike

    Ike, Sep 26, 2005

  2. Ike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ike wrote:
    > P4 HP laptop, 3.06GHz, 1.25G RAM, WXP Pro
    > No weird software, no games, just a portable work station. We're a
    > bunch of techie-geeks, so when we bought these, we fdisk'd them to
    > kill all the commercial extras, then installed the OS and drivers.
    > They've been working great for nine months. In fact, this unit has
    > probably crashed once in nine months, and that was my fault (tried to
    > get a 1986 emulator for a 386 to work on it).
    >
    > Mine is now acting up, putting black bars across some documents,
    > displaying imagery wrong within documents. The problems exist in
    > several apps. No crashes, no obvious virus/trojan/adware/etc.
    > behavior, nothing trying to call home, no strange apps or processes.
    >
    > Since the problems began a week ago, I've done the usual things - one
    > internal and two online virus/trojan scans, Spyware S&D and Adaware,
    > Hijack This - all with negative results. I also re-installed the apps,
    > checked the HD's integrity, and more. Problems persist, so I'm fairly
    > sure it's clean and the problem lies with the OS.
    >
    > What's the best way to repair WXPPro?? I'm fully backed up and have
    > the disk, of course, but I really don't want to go back to square one.
    >
    > ANY suggestion/help is welcome.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Ike

    DId you try changing the video drivers? If they got updated you can roll
    back to the previous version. Or you can go to the HP web site and download
    their latest offering.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Ike

    Trax Guest

    Ike <> wrote:

    |>P4 HP laptop, 3.06GHz, 1.25G RAM, WXP Pro
    |>No weird software, no games, just a portable work station. We're a bunch
    |>of techie-geeks, so when we bought these, we fdisk'd them to kill all
    |>the commercial extras, then installed the OS and drivers. They've been
    |>working great for nine months. In fact, this unit has probably crashed
    |>once in nine months, and that was my fault (tried to get a 1986 emulator
    |>for a 386 to work on it).
    |>
    |>Mine is now acting up, putting black bars across some documents,
    |>displaying imagery wrong within documents. The problems exist in several
    |>apps. No crashes, no obvious virus/trojan/adware/etc. behavior, nothing
    |>trying to call home, no strange apps or processes.

    Since this is a graphic issue I'd run DXDIAG and see what it says.

    --
    pournography
    http://www.liquidsculpture.com/

    Trax, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Ike

    Spider Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:07:20 -0400, Ike <> wrote:

    > P4 HP laptop, 3.06GHz, 1.25G RAM, WXP Pro
    > No weird software, no games, just a portable work station. We're a bunch
    > of techie-geeks, so when we bought these, we fdisk'd them to kill all
    > the commercial extras, then installed the OS and drivers. They've been
    > working great for nine months. In fact, this unit has probably crashed
    > once in nine months, and that was my fault (tried to get a 1986 emulator
    > for a 386 to work on it).
    >
    > Mine is now acting up, putting black bars across some documents,
    > displaying imagery wrong within documents. The problems exist in several
    > apps. No crashes, no obvious virus/trojan/adware/etc. behavior, nothing
    > trying to call home, no strange apps or processes.

    Ike,
    If this is only happening in Word, close Word and go to the registry and
    delete the Data key. It is located at HKey Current User / Software /
    Microsoft / Office / Office(ver#) / Word / Data. Delete the Data folder.

    --
    Spider
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/

    Spider, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Ike

    Ike Guest

    I deleted the Word DATA key, DXDIAG found nothing, the Radeon driver
    seems to pass all tests so the system wouldn't let me update it.

    This looks like an OS issue - and as much as I hate the idea, presumably
    I'll ask someone to re-install WXP in the morning.

    Ike
    (would rather go to the dentist)

    Ike, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Ike

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Ike - Try Start|Run sfc /scannow Be sure that you check the Event
    Viewer after the scan is complete and re-register any .dll's/.ocx's, etc.
    that are reported there as having been replaced - use regsvr32
    ".dllname.dll" in a Cmd Window (without the quotes) for each .dll/ocx/etc.
    reported there. Here's more about fixing XP from one of my older posts:

    With XP you need to go (as an Administrator) to Start|Run and type "sfc
    /scannow" (without the quotes and notice the space between the c and the /.)
    Have your XP CD handy and be prepared to go get a cup of coffee - it takes a
    while. This will do the same thing as Repair IE6 for XP but a lot more, that
    is find any corrupt system files and replace them. It does NOT, however,
    re-register the various software components, and you will need to do this
    manually using regsvr32.exe if any are shown as replaced in Event
    Viewer|System.

    Be aware that under certain circumstances (Win2k before SP4 - see mskb
    814510, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q814510) sfc
    can erroneously overwrite (restore over) previously installed files from
    certain "hotfixes" which will then need to be re-installed. This may also
    apply to XP. To check for this, after running sfc, open a Cmd window and
    enter "qfecheck /v /l:c:\" (without the quotes). If you don't have qfecheck
    installed, it can be obtained for XP here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=35468 and for Win2k
    here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=35470 A
    version stated to be common to both is available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=155C7C58-102E-47B0-A12A-BFAB8CFCCC03
    Further information about qfecheck is available here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282784/EN/

    Then:

    Go to Start|Run and enter one line at a time (or even easier, open a DOS box
    and copy the following in its entirety and then paste it into the box):

    regsvr32 hlink.dll
    regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 mshtmled.dll
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll
    regsvr32 comcat.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /i Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 Msoeacct.dll
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\Msoe.dll"
    regsvr32 msjava.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 Olepro32.dll
    regsvr32 Hlink.dll
    regsvr32 Asctrls.ocx
    regsvr32 Inetcpl.cpl /i
    regsvr32 Dxtrans.dll
    regsvr32 Dxtmsft.dll
    regsvr32 Imgutil.dll
    regsvr32 Msxml.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Jscript.dll
    regsvr32 Softpub.dll
    regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 Initpki.dll
    regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32 Msjet40.dll
    regsvr32 pdm32.dll
    regsvr32 Msjtor40.dll
    regsvr32 Dao360.dll
    regsvr32 Sccbase.dll

    with a Return after each .dll. You'll get a message about successful
    completion of the re-registration process after each one, then enter the
    next (with the DOS box they'll be continuous except for the last one).

    If you use Win98x and get an error on Shell32.dll, ignore it. Only the ME,
    Win2k and XP versions of windows have shell32 as an object that needs
    registering. (For these earlier operating systems, run "regsvr32
    shdoc401.dll " instead of "regsvr32 Shell32.dll".) Depending on your
    system, you may also get "not found" error messages on some or all of the
    last five - if so, ignore them.

    Re-start your computer when you've finished.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Sep 26, 2005
  7. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Jim Byrd wrote:
> [...]
    > regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll
    > regsvr32 Msjet40.dll
    > regsvr32 pdm32.dll
    > regsvr32 Msjtor40.dll
    > regsvr32 Dao360.dll
    > regsvr32 Sccbase.dll
    >

    > with a Return after each .dll. You'll get a message about successful
    > completion of the re-registration process after each one, then enter the
    > next (with the DOS box they'll be continuous except for the last one).
    >
    > If you use Win98x and get an error on Shell32.dll, ignore it. Only the ME,
    > Win2k and XP versions of windows have shell32 as an object that needs
    > registering. (For these earlier operating systems, run "regsvr32
    > shdoc401.dll " instead of "regsvr32 Shell32.dll".) Depending on your
    > system, you may also get "not found" error messages on some or all of the
    > last five - if so, ignore them.
    >
    > Re-start your computer when you've finished.

    Project Alpha for tomorrow morning! This will keep one of our younger
    and more adept lads busy for a while. You forgot to mention the required
    mantra while all this is going on, but we'll figure it out.

    Thank you, my guru!

    Ike

    Ike, Sep 26, 2005
  8. Ike

    Jim Byrd Guest

    YW, Ike - just hope it helps - it may not, and if so, then your original
    intent of a Repair Install may still be in order.

    (Mantra follows: Tell 'em "Go forth and geek some more, lads!" :) )

    --

    "Ike" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Byrd wrote:
    >> Hi Ike - Try Start|Run sfc /scannow Be sure that you check the

    Event
    >> Viewer after the scan is complete and re-register any .dll's/.ocx's, etc.
    >> that are reported there as having been replaced - use regsvr32
    >> ".dllname.dll" in a Cmd Window (without the quotes) for each

    ..dll/ocx/etc.
    >> reported there. Here's more about fixing XP from one of my older posts:
    >>
    >> With XP you need to go (as an Administrator) to Start|Run and type "sfc
    >> /scannow" (without the quotes and notice the space between the c and the

    /.)

    Jim Byrd, Sep 26, 2005