    to do this as there are so many programs to remember to reinstall. I was
    wondering if anyone had any useful tips on how to do this to make it as
    simple and painless as possible! TIA.

    Bryan Henderson, May 4, 2004

  2. Bryan Henderson

    SgtMinor Guest

    Start by figuring out why things failed. Is your computer connected to
    the power grid directly or via a good surge suppressor or, better yet, a
    UPS? Does it have a good quality power supply? Is it the same
    component that fails repeatedly?

    SgtMinor, May 4, 2004

  3. "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Start by figuring out why things failed. Is your computer connected to
    > the power grid directly or via a good surge suppressor or, better yet, a
    > UPS? Does it have a good quality power supply? Is it the same
    > component that fails repeatedly?

    The PC is direct to the mains and I leave it on as a fax/answer machine most
    of the time and all the time when I am away. I have the HDs set to not power
    down as they tend to lock up when the PC wakes up to answer a call. I also
    don't have the PC set to standby but the monitor is turned off obviously.
    Sometimes I am away on business for a week or two and the problems seem to
    be worst when I return.

    The case/PS is a Mercury one and I don't know how good or bad that is. The
    problems aren't always the same. Last year around October I needed to
    reinstall Windows after two years as it had become more and more bizarre or
    corrupted but I bought a new HD as I hadn't backed up the old one for a
    while and decided to make it a slave. I was also having graphics card
    problems and eventually replaced the card then I had an unfortunate incident
    putting RAM in and had to replace the mobo this then lead on to the problems
    with not closing down properly and the current HD problem.

    I would appreciate any comments.

    Bryan Henderson, May 4, 2004
  4. Bryan Henderson

    SgtMinor Guest

    Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > > Start by figuring out why things failed. Is your computer connected to
    > > the power grid directly or via a good surge suppressor or, better yet, a
    > > UPS? Does it have a good quality power supply? Is it the same
    > > component that fails repeatedly?

    > The PC is direct to the mains and I leave it on as a fax/answer machine most
    > of the time and all the time when I am away. I have the HDs set to not power
    > down as they tend to lock up when the PC wakes up to answer a call. I also
    > don't have the PC set to standby but the monitor is turned off obviously.
    > Sometimes I am away on business for a week or two and the problems seem to
    > be worst when I return.
    >
    > The case/PS is a Mercury one and I don't know how good or bad that is. The
    > problems aren't always the same. Last year around October I needed to
    > reinstall Windows after two years as it had become more and more bizarre or
    > corrupted but I bought a new HD as I hadn't backed up the old one for a
    > while and decided to make it a slave. I was also having graphics card
    > problems and eventually replaced the card then I had an unfortunate incident
    > putting RAM in and had to replace the mobo this then lead on to the problems
    > with not closing down properly and the current HD problem.
    >
    > I would appreciate any comments.

    Using the machine as a fax/answering device in the manner you describe
    is a poor use of resources. A stand-alone device like this Samsung unit
    would probably pay for itself in a year through savings in power
    consumption.
    http://www.buy-cheap-electricals.co.uk/Fax_Machines/Samsung_SF-3200T.html

    Windows is not good about cleaning up after itself - when programs shut
    down, some vestiges of it may stay in the background - and it benefits
    from a periodic restart. Some versions are worse than others. You also
    need to do periodic maintenance, and Mike's tips are a good place to
    start: http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    Your computer could also benefit from having something suppress spikes
    and surges coming from the power grid and telephone line. A
    uninterruptible power supply (UPS) would be even better.

    Many of your system's problems could be heat related. If you are going
    to just replace some components, consider leaving the case off to
    improve ventilation.

    SgtMinor, May 4, 2004
  5. Bryan Henderson

    Stickems Guest

    Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in System Tools to backup everything
    to a CD or DVD.

    Stickems, May 4, 2004
  6. Bryan Henderson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > Having just had another component failure I am having to rebuild my system
    > for about the third time in six months and it drives me a bit crazy having
    > to do this as there are so many programs to remember to reinstall. I was
    > wondering if anyone had any useful tips on how to do this to make it as
    > simple and painless as possible! TIA.

    Norton Ghost (what's that other one?)...get it all set up just the way you
    like it, Ghost it off to CD and then next time you need to reinstall, you
    just put the Ghost CD's back on.

    Toolman Tim, May 5, 2004
  7. Bryan Henderson wrote:

    > The PC is direct to the mains and I leave it on as a fax/answer machine most
    > of the time and all the time when I am away. I have the HDs set to not power
    > down as they tend to lock up when the PC wakes up to answer a call. I also
    > don't have the PC set to standby but the monitor is turned off obviously.
    > Sometimes I am away on business for a week or two and the problems seem to
    > be worst when I return.

    I'm not going to get involved in an OS flamefest, here; I'll just
    suggest that Windows isn't a good idea for a machine that you're going
    to go off and leave for weeks at a time. Take that thought from
    there...

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2004
  8. Bryan Henderson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan Henderson wrote:
    >
    > > The PC is direct to the mains and I leave it on as a fax/answer machine

    most
    > > of the time and all the time when I am away. I have the HDs set to not

    power
    > > down as they tend to lock up when the PC wakes up to answer a call. I

    also
    > > don't have the PC set to standby but the monitor is turned off

    obviously.
    > > Sometimes I am away on business for a week or two and the problems seem

    > > be worst when I return.

    > I'm not going to get involved in an OS flamefest, here; I'll just
    > suggest that Windows isn't a good idea for a machine that you're going
    > to go off and leave for weeks at a time. Take that thought from
    > there...

    I agree...and the servers at work are running Novell Netware...who is now
    offering a Linux OS as well. My suspicions are that they will eventually
    migrate away from Netware and base their server software entirely on Linux.

    Toolman Tim, May 5, 2004
  9. Bryan Henderson

    Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> Having just had another component failure I am having to rebuild my
    >> system for about the third time in six months and it drives me a bit
    >> crazy having to do this as there are so many programs to remember to
    >> reinstall. I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips on how to
    >> do this to make it as simple and painless as possible! TIA.
    >>

    > Norton Ghost (what's that other one?)...get it all set up just the
    > way you like it, Ghost it off to CD and then next time you need to
    > reinstall, you just put the Ghost CD's back on.

    The other one is Powerquest Drive Image probably... although Norton
    bought it recently. There are others (like BootIt NG which is half the
    price and does partitions and multi-booting as well) but whatever you
    use, the quickest way to restore your computer is from a disk image...
    about 10 to 20 minutes to have the hard drive exactly as it was.

    Tim, May 5, 2004
  10. Bryan Henderson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > >> Having just had another component failure I am having to rebuild my
    > >> system for about the third time in six months and it drives me a bit
    > >> crazy having to do this as there are so many programs to remember to
    > >> reinstall. I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips on how to
    > >> do this to make it as simple and painless as possible! TIA.
    > >>

    > > Norton Ghost (what's that other one?)...get it all set up just the
    > > way you like it, Ghost it off to CD and then next time you need to
    > > reinstall, you just put the Ghost CD's back on.

    > The other one is Powerquest Drive Image probably... although Norton
    > bought it recently. There are others (like BootIt NG which is half the
    > price and does partitions and multi-booting as well) but whatever you
    > use, the quickest way to restore your computer is from a disk image...
    > about 10 to 20 minutes to have the hard drive exactly as it was.

    Thanks! I knew that there were others, but what with working 12 hours a day,
    I'm suffering from some serious brainfarts lately ;o)

    Toolman Tim, May 6, 2004