    reach?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andy

    Quiz Time, May 16, 2005

  2. Quiz Time

    SkyHi Guest

    Well, if you would like to know a really well way to hide files, I ca
    tell you. I will give it to you in steps

    1) Make a new folder, and the name doesn't matter.
    2) Add the files you wish to hide in the folder
    3) Zip the folder, using Windows archiving, or WinZip, WinRaR, etc..
    4) Once the folder is all zipped up, now change the name to name.etc
    Where name is the name you wish to find it by later
    And etc is some random three letter extension, that you *make up*

    Hope this helps

    -SkyH

    --
    SkyH
    SkyHi's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1278

    SkyHi, May 16, 2005

  3. Quiz Time

    pcbutts1 Guest

    That depends on what operating system you are using.

    pcbutts1, May 16, 2005
  4. Quiz Time

    Mike Easter Guest

    Quiz Time wrote:
    > Need to keep some files private from curious friends, computer
    > repairmen, or family playing around on my pc, if possible, was
    > thinking of setting up one folder so that it was password protected,
    > perhaps?
    >
    > is that possible?

    Yes. There are a lot of other things to be thinking about; depending
    upon how 'secure' you want to be, such as 'plausible deniability'.

    It is simple to 'encrypt' a folder just by compression archiving it up
    with a pw, but there's a lot more to the subject than that. If other
    peeps are going to be accessing your computer they can do all kinds of
    things.

    You could also make it more 'invisible' than a pw protected archive.

    > whats the best way to keep a folder of private files out of sight and
    > out of reach?

    This would make a good discussion in alt.privacy or even
    alt.security.pgp. A lot of non-pgp things get discussed in a.s.p.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  5. Quiz Time

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:04:46 GMT, "Quiz Time" <> wrote:

    >Need to keep some files private from curious friends, computer repairmen, or
    >family playing around on my pc, if possible, was thinking of setting up one
    >folder so that it was password protected, perhaps?
    >
    >is that possible?
    >
    >whats the best way to keep a folder of private files out of sight and out of
    >reach?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Andy

    The simplist way is to create a password protected Zip or WinRAR file and 'drag & drop' the file
    into it. Use a 9 digit or better password with Caps, numbers and symbols for security.

    Unk, May 16, 2005
  6. Quiz Time

    nos1eep Guest

    "Quiz Time" <> wrote in message
    > Need to keep some files private from curious friends, computer repairmen,
    > or family playing around on my pc, if possible, was thinking of setting up
    > one folder so that it was password protected, perhaps?
    >
    > is that possible?
    >
    > whats the best way to keep a folder of private files out of sight and out
    > of reach?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andy

    Program called Magic Folders will do it.

    nos1eep, May 16, 2005
  7. Quiz Time

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  8. Quiz Time

    Brian Guest

    nos1eep wrote:

    > Program called Magic Folders will do it

    But will MF hide the contents if the person boots from a Knoppix CD?

    Brian, May 16, 2005
  9. Quiz Time

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > nos1eep wrote:
    >
    >> Program called Magic Folders will do it

    > But will MF hide the contents if the person boots from a Knoppix CD?

    I think not - it isn't a very powerful 'invisible-izer'

    <mf>
    I've discovered how to defeat MF or EMF!

    There are a variety of ways MF or EMF can be defeated using the standard
    installation. For suggestions on how to make the program harder to
    defeat see "How to make MF (or EMF) harder to defeat" in the program's
    "Help".

    EMF users should remember that even if EMF is defeated your files remain
    encrypted and their filenames scrambled.

    If you find that EMF or MF isn't hiding your files in DOS then make sure
    the C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file has a line like:

    LH C:\path\MF.EXE

    where "path" is the path to the MF.EXE file. If MF.EXE (or whatever you
    named it during installation) is run in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file then your
    files will be hidden in DOS as well as Windows.
    </mf> http://pc-magic.com/emft.htm#t24

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  10. Quiz Time

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, SkyHi mused:

    | 4) Once the folder is all zipped up, now change the name to name.etc
    | Where name is the name you wish to find it by later
    | And etc is some random three letter extension, that you *make up*

    Why not just password protect the ZIP file?

    mhicaoidh, May 16, 2005
  11. Quiz Time

    SkyHi Guest

    mhicaoidh Wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, SkyHi mused
    >
    > | 4) Once the folder is all zipped up, now change the name to name.et
    > | Where name is the name you wish to find it by late
    > | And etc is some random three letter extension, that you *make up
    >
    > Why not just password protect the ZIP file

    Because if you're really trying to hide it, they can find zip files, i
    they're smart. Yes, I realize that it's stupid, but if you want tha
    high security.. do what I say!

    SkyHi, May 16, 2005
  12. Quiz Time

    ellis_jay Guest

    nos1eep wrote:
    > "Quiz Time" <> wrote in message
    >> Need to keep some files private from curious friends, computer
    >> repairmen, or family playing around on my pc, if possible, was
    >> thinking of setting up one folder so that it was password protected,
    >> perhaps?
    >>
    >> is that possible?
    >>
    >> whats the best way to keep a folder of private files out of sight
    >> and out of reach?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Andy

    > Program called Magic Folders will do it.

    I don't see the original thread but, here a some good ones:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/authorinfo/apps-7113143.html

    --
    He released government from the restraint of law.
    ____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, May 16, 2005
  13. mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, SkyHi mused:
    >|
    >| 4) Once the folder is all zipped up, now change the name to name.etc
    >| Where name is the name you wish to find it by later
    >| And etc is some random three letter extension, that you *make up*

    > Why not just password protect the ZIP file?

    Good luck. This guy's posting from a web gateway. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 17, 2005
  14. Quiz Time

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, SkyHi mused:

    | Because if you're really trying to hide it, they can find zip files,
    | if they're smart. Yes, I realize that it's stupid, but if you want
    | that high security.. do what I say!!

    Sorry ... I wouldn't call that "high" security.

    mhicaoidh, May 17, 2005
  15. Quiz Time

    Mike Easter Guest

    Quiz Time wrote:
    > None of these ideas has interested me, since I want to access the
    > files easily, and regularly, and in as easy location on my pc, I just
    > want to password protect a folder, to stop people going into it,
    > people snooping around out of curiosity on my pc.. I'm not looking
    > for high security!

    If your pc has a usb port just put the files or folder on a little
    removable usb drive, like fits on a keychain or pen. You could leave it
    in the usb port all the time while you are there and remove it if you
    are gone.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 17, 2005
  16. Quiz Time

    SkyHi Guest

    mhicaoidh Wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, SkyHi mused:
    > |
    > | Because if you're really trying to hide it, they can find zip files,
    > | if they're smart. Yes, I realize that it's stupid, but if you want
    > | that high security.. do what I say!!
    >
    > Sorry ... I wouldn't call that "high" security.

    It's quite high, considering it won't be able to be *found*. I jus
    like to delete the ability to *need* the password.

    -SkyH

    SkyHi, May 18, 2005
  17. Quiz Time

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, SkyHi mused:

    | It's quite high, considering it won't be able to be *found*. I just
    | like to delete the ability to *need* the password.

    Riiight ...

    mhicaoidh, May 19, 2005
  18. Quiz Time

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Quiz Time mused:

    | None of these ideas has interested me, since I want to access the
    | files easily, and regularly, and in as easy location on my pc, I just
    | want to password protect a folder, to stop people going into it,
    | people snooping around out of curiosity on my pc.. I'm not looking
    | for high security!

    In that case, just ZIP it and put a password on the archive (during
    the ZIP process). Once you open the archive, enter the password, and a
    window will open showing you all the files in there ... and they are as
    accessable as if they were in a regular folder. You can put the archive
    where ever is convenient, and drag and drop files from/to it as needed.

    mhicaoidh, May 19, 2005