    slideshow set-up that allows you to have captions underneath that aren't
    hidden by the toolbar. Anyone?? Also would appreciate any ideas on the
    file structure for organizing....date, activity, etc?? Thanks!
    Mike, Apr 29, 2006

  2. Mike

    tom Guest

    I can tell you that I've used Adobe Album and Photoshop Elements 1, 2, 3,
    and 4 (they started to incorporate Album features around v. 2).
    I used Album since I was archiving thousands of pictures and wanted a clean
    way to catalog the photos.
    Now using PE 4.0 I have over 9000 photos archived and cataloged with tags
    and subtags. Searching is simple, backing up, burning disks, DVD, etc, is as
    easy as it could be.
    For me it has been well worth the money. Adobe has done their homework and
    their user forums are excellent and you can get a response to a query
    usually within 15-20 minutes.
    Good photo editing as well, as well as nice presentations (which I've never
    used).

    (By the way, I tried Picassa, ACDSee, and a few others and have always come
    back to PE).

    tom, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Mike

    Tom Guest

    Picasa works well and the price is right.

    Tom
    Tom, Apr 29, 2006
  4. Mike

    Oscar Guest

    I use a combination of myalbum irfanview faststone and Windows
    directories and subdirectories.

    I wish I used fewer programs. But each does something that the
    other don't and none do everything.

    Oscar, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Hi, Mike.

    Adobe's organizers are very feature-rich - you can catalog pictures
    under more than one category without actually copying the picture. You
    can also create both PDF and VCD slideshows with PSE 3 and 4.

    However, if you use it as your default organizer, every picture you
    transfer from your camera is included in that organizer, even if you
    save the photo somewhere else. You also have to delete unwanted
    pictures from the organizer, or there'll be an image of it in the
    organizer, but no actual picture. You kind of have to forget about the
    My Pictures folder, and do most of your photo management through the
    organizer.

    Right now, I'm still using folders in the My Pictures folder to
    organize my photos. I've got a folder for Flowers, Animals, Religious,
    etc, and that works for me. After I download the photos, I move them
    into their respective folder before I unplug the camera.

    If you take a lot of people shots, though, you'll probably want
    something more sophisticated so you can search for all pictures that
    include Mike regardless of the category. I don't take too many pictures
    with people in them.

    Hope this helps.

    Karen
    VI Photo Gifts, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Per Mike:
    >My digital images are piling up on my hard drive and I need to find the best
    >way to organize them....soon!! Does anyone have any suggestions??

    There is no single "best" way.... my best way might not fit somebody else's
    requirements.

    Having said that.....
    1) Store the images in directories that reflect the source.

    Put the direct-from-camera images in one parent directory
    and create a new subdirectory named for the date each time
    you upload a batch. e.g. "2006 04-20" or even "2006 04-20a"...
    "2006 04-20b".. if you're a heavy user.

    For scans from film/slides use a different parent directory
    and name the sub directories for the physical location you
    keep the originals in. That way you can easily re-scan
    if needed.

    2) Name the images in three parts:

    - In the front, the date the pic was taken. e.g. "2006 03-17".
    This enables you to do a search on somebody's name and have the
    results come up sorted chronologically. Nice to see the changes
    in somebody's appearance as they mature/age.

    - In the middle, freeform descriptive text.
    e.g. "Ange Steve Steff Easter"

    - At the end, the camera's original name. e.g. "DSCN2056". This
    automatically distinguishes between pix that might have the
    same people in them - so you don't have to tax your mind trying
    to come up with subtly different names.

    Full name e.g.: "2006 03-17 Ange Steve Steff Easter DSCN2056.jpg"

    3) Spring for a full-featured software tool.

    I chose ThumbusPlus (http://www.cerious.com/thumbnails.shtml).
    It does everything I want and much more. It's especially friendly
    when printing: sizing, different orientations, many per page,
    and so-forth.

    I can even store photos offline on DVDs, yet still search/preview
    them without having to mount the DVD that they are on.

    It also lets me slice and dice photos many different ways.
    Using keyword searches on the name, I can see all photos of "Ange",
    or all photos taken at "Easter", and so-on...

    4) Do not use the software tool's annotation feature. Instead, keep
    your information embedded in the picture's name.

    This way you're not hostage to the software. If something better
    comes along you can switch without losing whatever you've typed
    into the software's proprietary DB. Also, databases fail
    occasionally and you're immune to that if you keep the info
    in the file name.
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 30, 2006
  7. Mike

    Eugene Nine Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Per Mike:
    >>My digital images are piling up on my hard drive and I need to find the
    >>best
    >>way to organize them....soon!! Does anyone have any suggestions??

    > There is no single "best" way.... my best way might not fit somebody
    > else's requirements.
    >
    > Having said that.....
    > 1) Store the images in directories that reflect the source.
    >
    > Put the direct-from-camera images in one parent directory
    > and create a new subdirectory named for the date each time
    > you upload a batch. e.g. "2006 04-20" or even "2006 04-20a"...
    > "2006 04-20b".. if you're a heavy user.
    >
    > For scans from film/slides use a different parent directory
    > and name the sub directories for the physical location you
    > keep the originals in. That way you can easily re-scan
    > if needed.
    >

    > 2) Name the images in three parts:
    >
    > - In the front, the date the pic was taken. e.g. "2006 03-17".
    > This enables you to do a search on somebody's name and have the
    > results come up sorted chronologically. Nice to see the changes
    > in somebody's appearance as they mature/age.
    >
    > - In the middle, freeform descriptive text.
    > e.g. "Ange Steve Steff Easter"
    >
    > - At the end, the camera's original name. e.g. "DSCN2056". This
    > automatically distinguishes between pix that might have the
    > same people in them - so you don't have to tax your mind trying
    > to come up with subtly different names.
    >
    > Full name e.g.: "2006 03-17 Ange Steve Steff Easter DSCN2056.jpg"
    >

    > 3) Spring for a full-featured software tool.
    >
    > I chose ThumbusPlus (http://www.cerious.com/thumbnails.shtml).
    > It does everything I want and much more. It's especially friendly
    > when printing: sizing, different orientations, many per page,
    > and so-forth.
    >
    > I can even store photos offline on DVDs, yet still search/preview
    > them without having to mount the DVD that they are on.
    >
    > It also lets me slice and dice photos many different ways.
    > Using keyword searches on the name, I can see all photos of "Ange",
    > or all photos taken at "Easter", and so-on...
    >

    > 4) Do not use the software tool's annotation feature. Instead, keep
    > your information embedded in the picture's name.
    >
    > This way you're not hostage to the software. If something better
    > comes along you can switch without losing whatever you've typed
    > into the software's proprietary DB. Also, databases fail
    > occasionally and you're immune to that if you keep the info
    > in the file name.

    Instead of embedding in the name of the picture, just embed in the standard
    exif fields. The date/time is tagged there already and there is a field
    for image description and user comment. I leave the filenames stay the
    same and just view the datetime column and description and comment columns
    that way I can search or sort on each tag individually.
    Most programs can read this exif data so its portable no matter what
    software I use.
    Eugene Nine, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Mike

    lindadorsey

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Thank you great resource! I will definitely try that.

    I am using Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder by MindGems to find similar photos - it is a great tool!
    lindadorsey, Jul 10, 2013