    photos so they don't become an unruly mess to deal with over time.

    thanks

    Peter
    PeterH, Feb 8, 2004

  2. PeterH

    Bobby Guest

    Microsoft Digital Image Pro is ideal for both the beginner (and
    intermediate) digital photographer and has superb cataloguing facilities.
    More details here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/imaging/products/disinfo.asp

    And it's cheap. Check the reviews on Amazon (probably the cheapest source
    for this software):

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...38036/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-5789796-2090018

    Bobby

    "PeterH" <reply to > wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Just starting out in digital photographer and would like to know the best
    > efficient and logical way to keep digital photos on my PC.
    >
    > Need to know things like, good naming convention for each photo, good
    > software to catalogue photos so they are easy to find later, should I burn
    > photos every now and then, is there software that searches for photos if

    I'm

    Bobby, Feb 8, 2004

  3. I suggest two things. First select some software to help you. I use
    "Adobe Photoshop Album." It makes all the organization easy by providing
    both organization tools and an organization concept.

    Maybe more important is the need to thin the ranks. Get rid of all but
    the best. The rest just get in the way and lower your overall quality
    level. Don't allow that little voice that says you might need it some day
    get the best of you. Delete any questionable photos.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 8, 2004
  4. PeterH

    Tom Guest

    > Hi All
    >
    > Just starting out in digital photographer and would like to know the best
    > efficient and logical way to keep digital photos on my PC.
    >
    > Need to know things like, good naming convention for each photo, good
    > software to catalogue photos so they are easy to find later, should I burn
    > photos every now and then, is there software that searches for photos if

    I'm
    > not sure where it is filed etc etc etc.
    >
    > Generally what is a good approach to managing hundreds of future digital
    > photos so they don't become an unruly mess to deal with over time.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Peter

    This is a no-brainer.

    Go here: http://www.photools.com/

    Get iMatch. Never look back. Will work for newbie to pro.

    Tom
    Tom, Feb 8, 2004
  5. PeterZiminski, Feb 9, 2004
  6. In article <5rnVb.47689$>, PeterH wrote:
    >Just starting out in digital photographer and would like to know the best
    >efficient and logical way to keep digital photos on my PC.

    Following up this question with another question, are there any
    photo library apps that work with RAW files? Right now I've just
    got a directory containing a few thousand shots and I'd like to
    organize them somehow.

    The Microsoft Digital Imaging Library that someone posted a link to
    looked really nice but not sure about the RAW support. I wouldn't
    use any of the editing features either (that's what PS is for), just
    the cataloguing features.

    - awh
    Drew Hamilton, Feb 9, 2004
  7. PeterH

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "PeterH" <reply to > wrote in

    > Just starting out in digital photographer and would like to know the
    > best efficient and logical way to keep digital photos on my PC.
    >
    > Need to know things like, good naming convention for each photo, good
    > software to catalogue photos so they are easy to find later, should I
    > burn photos every now and then, is there software that searches for
    > photos if I'm not sure where it is filed etc etc etc.
    >
    > Generally what is a good approach to managing hundreds of future digital
    > photos so they don't become an unruly mess to deal with over time.

    What's 'best' for you may be totally useless to me and vice versa. Find a
    good configurable image management program (I use ThumbsPlus
    <www.cerious.com>) and set it up to work the way YOU want.
    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 9, 2004
  8. PeterH

    Bobby Guest

    AFAIK Digital Image Pro works with RAW files -- and - believe me - once
    you've used some of DIP's automation facilities, you will use it in
    preference to PS (I've all but stopped using PS since installing DIP). It
    has powerful batch processing facilities that will make short work of your
    photos.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Feb 9, 2004
  9. PeterH