    data on the backup disk.

    Any way of accomplishing this?

    TIA

    Need Help, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Need Help

    Bucky Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:42:44 -0400, Need Help <>
    wrote:

    >Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    >posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    >question...
    >
    >What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    >onto a DVD-RW?
    >
    >I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
    >I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
    >date.
    >
    >I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
    >crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
    >data on the backup disk.
    >
    >Any way of accomplishing this?

    Not if you want to read from a DVD-RW. You need the OS with all the
    files needed to access the DVD.

    Far better get a second HD installed and use something like
    taskzip(freeware) to backup your files.

    Bucky, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Need Help

    old man Guest

    Or Acronis, which is, or you create - I cannot remember which - a bootable
    cd which can be used to restore

    old man, Apr 21, 2006
  4. Need Help

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-21, Bucky <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:42:44 -0400, Need Help <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    >>posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    >>question...
    >>
    >>What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    >>onto a DVD-RW?
    >>
    >>I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
    >>I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
    >>date.
    >>
    >>I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
    >>crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
    >>data on the backup disk.
    >>
    >>Any way of accomplishing this?
    >>

    > Not if you want to read from a DVD-RW. You need the OS with all the
    > files needed to access the DVD.
    >
    > Far better get a second HD installed and use something like
    > taskzip(freeware) to backup your files.

    External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable; there are
    also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have, if that suits you
    better. Apart from convenience and ease of use, having the back-ups in a
    seperate box from the computer, means that you can store the back-ups
    somewhere away from the computer - perhaps even in a different building -
    which gives some extra protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake,
    thieves, or whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Need Help

    Plato Guest

    Need Help wrote:

    > Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    > posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    > question...
    >
    > What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    > onto a DVD-RW?

    Re-Writables are not the best bet for important data backup.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Need Help

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Need Help
    <> wrote:

    > Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    > posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    > question...
    >
    > What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    > onto a DVD-RW?
    >
    > I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
    > I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
    > date.
    >
    > I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
    > crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
    > data on the backup disk.
    >
    > Any way of accomplishing this?

    Of course; use networked storage or upload the file somewhere.

    If you 're going to use a DVD-RW, use a script that prepares the disc
    properly.
    That may be to copy to the computer, clear the disc, then write it all
    back to the disc with the new file.

    Mitch, Apr 22, 2006
  7. Whiskers wrote:

    > External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable;
    > there are also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have, if
    > that suits you better. Apart from convenience and ease of use,
    > having the back-ups in a seperate box from the computer, means
    > that you can store the back-ups somewhere away from the computer
    > - perhaps even in a different building - which gives some extra
    > protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake, thieves, or
    > whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

    Shark fishermen.

    --
    Blinky
    Kill-filing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 22, 2006
  8. Need Help

    clot Guest

    Need Help wrote:
    > Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    > posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    > question...
    >
    > What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    > onto a DVD-RW?
    >
    > I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
    > I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
    > date.
    >
    > I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
    > crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
    > data on the backup disk.
    >
    > Any way of accomplishing this?

    I second Bucky's approach. Use Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image then
    you've got a second drive to replace a duff one with all systems go.

    clot, Apr 22, 2006
  9. Need Help

    clot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable;
    >> there are also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have, if
    >> that suits you better. Apart from convenience and ease of use,
    >> having the back-ups in a seperate box from the computer, means
    >> that you can store the back-ups somewhere away from the computer
    >> - perhaps even in a different building - which gives some extra
    >> protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake, thieves, or
    >> whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

    > Shark fishermen.

    Sharks if you're human! Sharks if you're a fish! Algae if you see a
    basking shark! :)

    clot, Apr 22, 2006
  10. clot wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >>> External 'USB' hard discs seem to be getting more affordable;
    >>> there are also 'USB housings' to take a HD you already have,
    >>> if that suits you better. Apart from convenience and ease of
    >>> use, having the back-ups in a seperate box from the computer,
    >>> means that you can store the back-ups somewhere away from the
    >>> computer - perhaps even in a different building - which gives
    >>> some extra protection against fire, flood, storm, earthquake,
    >>> thieves, or whatever other perils may weigh on your mind.

    >> Shark fishermen.

    > Sharks if you're human! Sharks if you're a fish! Algae if you
    > see a basking shark! :)

    <basking> Well, it *has* been sunny and warm, lately.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 22, 2006
  11. Need Help

    Steve Smith Guest

    Hi

    "Need Help" <> wrote in message
    > Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    > posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    > question...
    >
    > What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    > onto a DVD-RW?
    >
    > I simply want to keep adding files to the same DVD-RW week after week.
    > I won't be burning the same filename as I will rename them using the
    > date.
    >
    > I need to be able to read and extract the files if ever my system
    > crashes without having to install a specific software to access the
    > data on the backup disk.
    >
    > Any way of accomplishing this?
    >
    > TIA

    As Plato said, why use DVD-RW, use DVD-R instead. Burn using Nero
    Express in Multi-Session, these files will be seen by Windows Explorer,
    they are on my system at least - XP Home SP2 and Nero 6.0.

    Regards

    Steve

    Steve Smith, Apr 22, 2006
  12. Need Help

    Need Help Guest

    On 21 Apr 2006 17:15:04 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Need Help wrote:
    >>
    >> Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    >> posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    >> question...
    >>
    >> What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    >> onto a DVD-RW?

    >Re-Writables are not the best bet for important data backup.

    Why not? Could you elaborate please.

    The reason why I wanted to use a DVD-RW was so I wouldn't waste a
    whole disk for the purpose of just backing up one 3 meg file.

    I backup the same file week after week. Seems to me that there has to
    be a better, more cost efficient way of backing up this file other
    then buying a hard drive (whether it be internal or external) or using
    a new CD/DVD disk every week.

    Why is it so hard to keep adding files to a Rewritable until I reach
    Week52.bak at the end of the year?

    Need Help, Apr 24, 2006
  13. Need Help

    Steve Smith Guest

    Hi

    "Need Help" <> wrote in message
    > On 21 Apr 2006 17:15:04 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    >>Need Help wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Since no one offered any solution to my Nero Multisession problem I
    >>> posted earlier, I'll start from scratch and ask the following
    >>> question...
    >>>
    >>> What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    >>> onto a DVD-RW?

    >>Re-Writables are not the best bet for important data backup.

    > Why not? Could you elaborate please.
    >
    > The reason why I wanted to use a DVD-RW was so I wouldn't waste a
    > whole disk for the purpose of just backing up one 3 meg file.
    >
    > I backup the same file week after week. Seems to me that there has to
    > be a better, more cost efficient way of backing up this file other
    > then buying a hard drive (whether it be internal or external) or using
    > a new CD/DVD disk every week.
    >
    > Why is it so hard to keep adding files to a Rewritable until I reach
    > Week52.bak at the end of the year?

    OK I'll put you out of your misery. You can add files to a DVD-R disk
    and they are somewhat cheaper than DVD-RW's. For 3Mb a week, one disk
    should last about thirty years, but I would recommend reburning every
    year or so! :) Your problem may have been your use of Nero Backup rather
    than Nero Express.

    Regards

    Steve

    Steve Smith, Apr 24, 2006
  14. Need Help

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Need Help
    <> wrote:

    > >> What is the best way to backup one or more files on a weekly basis
    > >> onto a DVD-RW?

    > >Re-Writables are not the best bet for important data backup.

    > Why not? Could you elaborate please.
    >
    > The reason why I wanted to use a DVD-RW was so I wouldn't waste a
    > whole disk for the purpose of just backing up one 3 meg file.
    >
    > I backup the same file week after week. Seems to me that there has to
    > be a better, more cost efficient way of backing up this file other
    > then buying a hard drive (whether it be internal or external) or using
    > a new CD/DVD disk every week.
    >
    > Why is it so hard to keep adding files to a Rewritable until I reach
    > Week52.bak at the end of the year?

    Because optical formats are different; they aren't able to make changes
    to the catalog, like a magetic drive does. They have to make addendum
    changes further along, which is a fundamental difference in how they
    are handled.
    It means that there could be times when the later-written stuff might
    not work properly, and in your case that is the stuff that means the
    most.

    Your other problem about having the same name is just a matter of not
    setting your backup program to create a new name for the file, or a new
    path. If you set it to create a new name or path, then you would have
    no problems about duplicating the file name.

    I suggest yet again -- if it's that small a file, you should consider
    sending it someplace. Your ISP offers storage, right? Your company's
    host has a lot. You may have a friend with some address to use.

    You certainly can use an external hard drive, and I assume you'd have
    other things to back up with something like that as well (I'm not going
    to allow that you'd buy it for just this one file and not use it for
    anything else).
    You can use flash media -- copy right out of USB onto a keychain item
    or something. Again, you'd need a new name for each file if you save
    several at once.

    Mitch, Apr 25, 2006
  15. Need Help

    Lookout Guest

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:00:33 +0100, "Steve Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >"Need Help" <> wrote in message

    >>>Re-Writables are not the best bet for important data backup.

    >> Why not? Could you elaborate please.
    >>
    >> The reason why I wanted to use a DVD-RW was so I wouldn't waste a
    >> whole disk for the purpose of just backing up one 3 meg file.
    >>
    >> I backup the same file week after week. Seems to me that there has to
    >> be a better, more cost efficient way of backing up this file other
    >> then buying a hard drive (whether it be internal or external) or using
    >> a new CD/DVD disk every week.
    >>
    >> Why is it so hard to keep adding files to a Rewritable until I reach
    >> Week52.bak at the end of the year?
    >>

    >OK I'll put you out of your misery. You can add files to a DVD-R disk
    >and they are somewhat cheaper than DVD-RW's. For 3Mb a week, one disk
    >should last about thirty years, but I would recommend reburning every
    >year or so! :) Your problem may have been your use of Nero Backup rather
    >than Nero Express.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Steve

    I believe Nero calls it an open session where you can add more data
    later.

    Lookout, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Need Help

    Steve Smith Guest

    Hi

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:00:33 +0100, "Steve Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>"Need Help" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why not? Could you elaborate please.
    >>>
    >>> The reason why I wanted to use a DVD-RW was so I wouldn't waste a
    >>> whole disk for the purpose of just backing up one 3 meg file.
    >>>
    >>> I backup the same file week after week. Seems to me that there has to
    >>> be a better, more cost efficient way of backing up this file other
    >>> then buying a hard drive (whether it be internal or external) or using
    >>> a new CD/DVD disk every week.
    >>>
    >>> Why is it so hard to keep adding files to a Rewritable until I reach
    >>> Week52.bak at the end of the year?
    >>>

    >>OK I'll put you out of your misery. You can add files to a DVD-R disk
    >>and they are somewhat cheaper than DVD-RW's. For 3Mb a week, one disk
    >>should last about thirty years, but I would recommend reburning every
    >>year or so! :) Your problem may have been your use of Nero Backup rather
    >>than Nero Express.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>

    > I believe Nero calls it an open session where you can add more data
    > later.

    In Nero 6.0, Nero Express you tick a box to add files later with the
    reference multi-session, presumably something similar in later versions of
    Nero. Refreshing Windows Explorer may be necessary to see recently added
    files.

    Steve

    Steve Smith, May 1, 2006