Best way to install Vista 64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Jul 8, 2007.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Taking a deep breath..... OK, I'm about ready to install Vista Ultimate
    64 as the OS on new harddrive. It's been up and running on my current
    dual boot setup for some time and all the problems seem to have been
    solved so... new harddrive is installed as slave, partitioned and
    formatted. Files I need and partitions I need are copied over to
    partitions on the new harddrive leaving a 20G partition for the new
    install of Vista. XP won't be installed. I'm ready to change the new
    HD to master and install the OS.

    I can't decide which is the best way to install and that's where you
    guys can help me decide.

    One way is to use Acronis True Image to put my current Vista image onto
    the new harddrive and then boot on the Vista DVD to repair the boot.

    The other way, and the way I'm leaning, is to do a new install of Vista
    and then rebuild it from scratch. That'll give me a clean copy with
    all the trial and errors of the previous install removed. It'll also
    take me a much longer time and if disaster strikes I still have the
    Acronis Image to fall back on..

    Opinions, please....

    XS11E, Jul 8, 2007

  2. XS11E

    John Barnes Guest

    Personally I like the clean install approach. If you go the Acronis route,
    make sure that the drive with Vista on it will enumerate the same. Otherwise
    you have the possibility of shortcuts pointing to the wrong drive letter and
    certain system functions that won't connect properly.

    John Barnes, Jul 8, 2007

  3. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > Personally I like the clean install approach.

    Thanks for the reply, I'm leaning that way.

    > If you go the Acronis route, make sure that the drive with Vista
    > on it will enumerate the same. Otherwise you have the possibility
    > of shortcuts pointing to the wrong drive letter and certain system
    > functions that won't connect properly.

    I'll have a bunch of things to correct if I do use the Acronis image,
    but I pretty much know which ones will be a problem and I'm SURE I'll
    be made aware of any others! <G>

    XS11E, Jul 8, 2007
  4. I would strongly suggest a clean install, and I'd also suggest making the
    Vista partition larger. Frankly, I wouldn't like to see less than about 40
    GB for a system partition these days.

    Run the Windows Easy Transfer wizard on your current install. Save off to
    someplace you can get to. Do the install. Run WET again to restore your
    stuff. Then complete installation of additional software.

    I did this same scenario many, many times during the beta process. It
    definitely saved me time and pain. And produced a much cleaner result. And,
    as you say, you always have the Acronis image to fall back to.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 8, 2007
  5. XS11E

    John Barnes Guest

    I could never get WET to work. Always would run for about 20 minutes and
    then just hang. For some reason it just didn't like my XP.

    John Barnes, Jul 8, 2007
  6. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > I would strongly suggest a clean install, and I'd also suggest
    > making the Vista partition larger. Frankly, I wouldn't like to see
    > less than about 40 GB for a system partition these days.

    My Vista Ultimate with all my software loaded is less than 15 GB. I'll
    set up about 25 GB for it.

    > Run the Windows Easy Transfer wizard on your current install. Save
    > off to someplace you can get to. Do the install. Run WET again to
    > restore your stuff. Then complete installation of additional
    > software.

    Mnnnn... don't think so. If I do a clean install I want a clean
    install, nothing transferred.

    I'm currently encountering a problem that just might get me to delete
    Vista, boot into XP only and go onto the vista.general group and tell
    everyone to get Ubuntu..... :-(

    No kidding, after all my successes I'm about ready to think there's a
    major problem in Vista... we shall see.

    XS11E, Jul 8, 2007
  7. I used it to an external USB drive easily a dozen times. This was always
    Vista build to Vista build, except the first time, which was XP x64 to Vista
    64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2007
  8. What it brings over are the things you usually want to bring over, so I
    don't mind. From a MS perspective, it's considered a clean install - no
    registry gunk, no unnecessary DLLs, etc. But it does keep the things that
    are a nuisance to redo - things like Windows Mail settings. And it puts all
    your Documents back where they're expected in Vista. (though I always bypass
    that anyway.)

    Vista grows over time. I like giving it plenty of room. This ensures, for
    example, that the new background, automatic, defragging has room to work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2007
  9. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > Vista grows over time.

    I think it's going to grow into the recycle bin. Apparently Vista's
    Disk management cannot format a partition? I've set up the new HD
    using disk management in XP, Vista wouldn't accept it, I deleted all
    the partitions to a completely bare disk and created the first
    partition in Vista's disk management, multiple failures. Tried
    creating partitions with Partition Commander, Vista won't recognize
    them, tried with Partition Magic, Vista won't recognize them, tried
    with XP, Vista won't recognize them and I can create partitions in
    Vista but I can't format them.

    WTF?

    XS11E, Jul 9, 2007
  10. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > I think it's going to grow into the recycle bin. Apparently Vista's
    > Disk management cannot format a partition? I've set up the new HD
    > using disk management in XP, Vista wouldn't accept it, I deleted all
    > the partitions to a completely bare disk and created the first
    > partition in Vista's disk management, multiple failures. Tried
    > creating partitions with Partition Commander, Vista won't recognize
    > them, tried with Partition Magic, Vista won't recognize them, tried
    > with XP, Vista won't recognize them and I can create partitions in
    > Vista but I can't format them.
    >
    > WTF?

    Now I'm more confused, tried once again doing exactly what had failed
    before, set up the partitions and formatted in XP, rebooted into Vista,
    Vista decided it needed to install new hardware and installed "Generic
    Volume" for each partition and all is well.

    WTF indeed.

    XS11E, Jul 9, 2007
  11. Hi:
    Go for a clean install.
    But before do your homework.
    Take note of the applications and tweaks you have installed.
    Workgroup name, IP addresses for network cards, ISP configuration. etc.
    Set an order for those elements.
    I mean, do you want to install your antivirus first of all?
    Or would you prefer your motherboard drivers, graphic drivers and sound
    drivers first? Etc, etc, etc.
    Spend some time doing that, make sure you have all your installation
    CD's/DVD's and product keys at hand.
    That will make things faster and less stressing.
    Best of luck!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 9, 2007
  12. Not sure why it didn't the first time, but this is more normal.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2007