Best Way to Increase # of Pictures on a Memory Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Hall, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Ken Hall

    Ken Hall Guest

    I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    card. I've never thought about this question before.

    She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.

    She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    quality:

    On a 4x6 print?
    On a 5x7 print?

    Ken

    Ken Hall, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Ken Hall

    Scott W Guest

    Ken Hall wrote:
    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.
    >
    > She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
    >
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:
    >
    > On a 4x6 print?
    > On a 5x7 print?
    >
    > Ken
    > --

    A lot depends on the camera, some produce good looking images with
    their higher compression and some produce images that you would not
    want to use. The 2MP route is safer in a way but is a just a bit low
    in pixels for a 5 x 7 print, still they should look pretty good. For a
    4 x 6 print the 2MP image should look very good.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Ken Hall

    Bucky Guest

    Ken Hall wrote:
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:

    The recommended max for 2MP is a 4x6 print, because that will come out
    to about 267-300 dpi, depending on the exact resolution. So if she
    wants to have the flexibility to print 5x7, then she probably shouldn't
    do 2MP.

    I prefer to go with the 5MP with more jpeg compression. I'm not able to
    notice that much of a difference between quality/compression settings.

    Bucky, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Ken Hall

    Scott W Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > Ken Hall wrote:
    > > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > > quality:

    > The recommended max for 2MP is a 4x6 print, because that will come out
    > to about 267-300 dpi, depending on the exact resolution. So if she
    > wants to have the flexibility to print 5x7, then she probably shouldn't
    > do 2MP.

    Keep in mind that a 2MP image from a 5MP camera will be a fair bit
    sharper then a 2MP image from a 2MP camera.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Ken Hall <> writes:

    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.

    When a friend of mine was in that situation she emailed the pictures
    to me from an internet cafe, and waited for confirmation that they had
    arrived ok before deleting them from the card.

    When I was in that situation I bought another memory card in the
    nearest electronics shop, which also happened to sell them cheaper
    than I could get at home.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Ken Hall

    Bucky Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Keep in mind that a 2MP image from a 5MP camera will be a fair bit
    > sharper then a 2MP image from a 2MP camera.

    Hmm, I didn't realize that before. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Bucky, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Or, review the images and delete the junk? Camera review is not the best
    but sometimes clearly OOF shots and other junk images can be deleted in the
    camera.

    Charles Schuler, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Ken Hall

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    > Or, review the images and delete the junk? Camera review is not the best
    > but sometimes clearly OOF shots and other junk images can be deleted in
    > the camera.

    I concur, I do it all the time, mostly I use a 16meg card and go out and get
    just a few pics that I really like, but I am talking just locally :)

    Jem

    -------------------------------------
    Birmingham Independent Photographers
    http://bip.wikispaces.com/

    Jem Raid, Mar 24, 2006
  9. Ken Hall

    Guest

    I know someone who bought an iPOD specifically so he could transfer his
    digital photos over to it while on vacation, thus freeing up his
    camera's memory card. I know this would take advance planning, but it
    might be worth considering for the next time. And, you can always use
    the iPOD to listen to music and podcasts too, of course!

    Kathi
    ============================
    How To Choose An Olympus Digital Camera
    http://www.plain-talk-about.com/digitalcamera/how-to-choose-an-olympus-digital-camera.htm

    , Mar 24, 2006
  10. Ken Hall

    Bolshoy Huy Guest

    go to any electronics store.
    give them your card to burn to a cd/dvd.
    mail 1 copy to yourself.

    Bolshoy Huy, Mar 24, 2006
  11. Ken Hall

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Ken Hall" <> wrote in message

    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.
    >
    > She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
    >
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:
    >
    > On a 4x6 print?
    > On a 5x7 print?
    >
    > Ken
    > --
    > NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

    Hopefully she is close enough to civilization and can go buy a card. Why
    miss good photo ops. $30 can buy a decent sized card these days.
    John

    JohnR66, Mar 25, 2006
  12. On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:29:02 -0600, Ken Hall wrote:

    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.
    >
    > She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
    >
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:
    >
    > On a 4x6 print?
    > On a 5x7 print?

    If she can't go someplace and buy more cards or have the images
    transferred to other media like CDs/DVDs, then do this: First, go through
    all the images and delete the clunkers. Be objective. Under normal
    circumstances, you should be able to get rid of 10 to 20% -- grossly
    over/underexposed, bad composition, duplicates, etc. Then, reduce
    resolution to about 3MP -- this will be more than good enough for 5x7 and
    smaller, and passable for 8x10 -- and, if necessary, go to the next level
    of JPEG compression (smaller file size) as in from Fine to Normal. In 5x7s
    or 4x6s, you'll never see the slight differences. Probably won't even see
    them in an 8x10.

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Mar 25, 2006
  13. Ken Hall

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Ken Hall <> wrote:

    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.
    >
    > She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
    >
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:
    >
    > On a 4x6 print?
    > On a 5x7 print?

    Geez! Your friend should just take a few minutes out of her vacation and
    buy a second memory card.

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 25, 2006
  14. Ken Hall

    Roy G Guest

    "Ken Hall" <> wrote in message

    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.
    >
    > She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
    >
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:
    >
    > On a 4x6 print?
    > On a 5x7 print?
    >
    > Ken
    > --
    > NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

    Hi

    To answer the question, as first asked.

    The best way of increasing the number of pictures on a card, is to use a
    bigger card.

    Dead easy, isn't it.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Mar 25, 2006
  15. Ken Hall

    Arthur Small Guest

    The weakest link in printing digital images is the printer. A low res image
    printed on a dye sub printer will look great. Same image on an inkjet looks
    so, so.

    Considering the fact that in my early years of digital photography I had a 3
    MP camera that turned out very good 24 x 36 inch prints. These were made by
    a commercial lab on matte photo paper.

    Not only is the resolution of the camera an important factor but how it will
    be printed.

    www.alldigital.fotopic.net

    Arthur Small, Mar 25, 2006
  16. Ken Hall

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ken Hall wrote:
    > I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
    > last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
    > card. I've never thought about this question before.
    >
    > She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
    >
    > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
    > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
    > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
    > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
    > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
    > quality:
    >
    > On a 4x6 print?
    > On a 5x7 print?
    >
    > Ken

    I would reduce the pixels to 4mp, and the quality to 'better'. This
    will still result in pictures with more than enough resolution for 5x7
    prints, while conserving memory. The alternative is to buy more flash
    cards, if this is an option.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 28, 2006
  17. Back when I was using just a 2 Mpixel point&shoot camera I tested to find
    what combination of image size and compression settings yielded the best
    compromise for maximum number of images with decent print quality.

    I found shooting at maximum size but maximum compression worked best for
    me. For printing, the more pixels the better... and compression artifacts
    are invisible in prints up to 8.5 x 11 inches even from a 2 Mp camera. With
    most big name brand consumer digital cameras, even the worst compression
    setting is perfectly usable most of the time for snapshots.

    Charles Gillen, Mar 29, 2006