    Which is the best one? Always in terms of quality speaking.
    Any experiences/suggestions?

    Thank you

    user, Mar 16, 2007

  2. "user" <> wrote in message
    news:ewAKh.7143$...
    > Hi there,
    > I was looking for a software to backup a DVD9 (DVD Dual Layer) movie to
    > a DVD5 (DVD Single Layer).
    > So I looked up on Google for the best one, in terms of quality. I get
    > multiple responses, but the main responses are:
    >
    > - DVD Shrink or Nero Recode (better)
    > - DVD Rebuilder+CCE
    >
    > Which is the best one? Always in terms of quality speaking.
    > Any experiences/suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you

    DVD Rebuilder with CCE is very much superior quality wise to either Shrink
    or Nero Recode and this is more apparent the greater the level of
    compression required.

    The down side is it takes a lot longer.

    If you only need a small degree of compression Shrink may well be acceptable
    depending on your own criteria.

    Stephen

    Stephen Stewart, Mar 16, 2007

  3. user

    def456 Guest

    > If you only need a small degree of compression Shrink may well be
    > acceptable depending on your own criteria.

    I've used DVD Shrink to compress to as much as 35% of original size and it
    was still generally good quality to my eyes. It took 2-3 hours to run the
    compression in that case. I only noticed one significant compression
    artifact in that movie, just a few seconds of smudgy video in a dark scene
    (the hardest to compress).

    def456, Mar 17, 2007
  4. "def456" <> wrote in message
    >> If you only need a small degree of compression Shrink may well be
    >> acceptable depending on your own criteria.

    > I've used DVD Shrink to compress to as much as 35% of original size and it
    > was still generally good quality to my eyes. It took 2-3 hours to run the
    > compression in that case. I only noticed one significant compression
    > artifact in that movie, just a few seconds of smudgy video in a dark scene
    > (the hardest to compress).

    If you do it again with CCE I guarantee you'll notice a difference on
    appropriate scenes.

    Whether or not it's important is a matter of personal taste.

    I remember trying Saving Private Ryan with a variety of transcoders (shrink
    included) and even with the highest settings none of the results were what
    I'd regard as acceptable.

    The Omaha Beach segment is particularly tough test of any
    transcoder/encoder.

    Try the same film though with a full reencoder and the difference is very
    apparent.

    Even with CCE though this film is pushing the limits and is still not quite
    as good as I'd like.

    2-3 hours is what I'd regard as a very long time for a transcoder.

    I also use DVD2One which takes between 5 and 15 mins depending on the degree
    of compression required and settings chosen.

    CCE normally takes between 1.5 and 2.5 hours on my system for a dual pass
    encode which is inconveniently long for most people.

    I had one particular episodic disc though that took nearly 3 hours for some
    unknown reason!

    Stephen

    Stephen Stewart, Mar 17, 2007