BEST way to display high resolution photo scans on a HDTV?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by etonblue, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. etonblue

    etonblue Guest

    i have a friend who has a 50" pioneer plasma hdtv (768p). this friend
    has a couple thousand color slides that she wants scanned and arranged
    so that she can show said slides on a "slide show" on said 50" plasma
    hdtv. originally, she said she wanted them on DVDs- but, and correct me
    if i'm wrong, it is my understanding that this wouldn't be the best way
    to display them because of the DVD limitation of 480p (720x480).

    so what are the alternatives? i probably could convince her to buy a
    laptop with a good videocard, but what would be the best way to connect
    it? i know some video cards have s-video connections, but wouldnt that
    look fuzzy on a tv that large? do they make component adapters? are
    there any other gadgets that might do the trick?

    simply, what is the best way to get the photos looking as good as they
    possibly can?

    thanks, and i apologize if i crossposted too much, i wasn't quite sure
    where this hybrid question would be best answered.

    eb

    etonblue, Dec 17, 2004

  2. etonblue

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Some of the larger TVs have SVGA input as well, which allows you to use it
    like a computer monitor.

    Rudy Benner, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Yes-use them as they were originally designed-by a slide projector.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Dec 17, 2004
  4. etonblue

    paul Guest

    Yeah I was suprised when I looked at projectors that they only go up to
    1024x768 which is considered puny for a computer monitor.

    paul, Dec 18, 2004
  5. etonblue

    John Nistler Guest

    A roku HD1000 will do it. It can connect to the HDTV via 1080i or 720p
    component connectors. But, the slides would have to be scanned into a
    computer. www.rokulabs.com

    John Nistler, Dec 19, 2004
  6. etonblue

    IsaacKuo Guest

    etonblue wrote:
    >i have a friend who has a 50" pioneer plasma hdtv (768p).
    >this friend has a couple thousand color slides that she
    >wants scanned and arranged so that she can show said slides
    >on a "slide show" on said 50" plasma hdtv.

    One thing no one has addressed so far is the issue of
    "burn-in". These slides are all probably either 4:3 or
    3:4 aspect ratio (the ratio of width to height). On a
    plasma HDTV, this means large black bars on the left and
    right. Plasma displays are sensitive to "burn-in" effects,
    so it's important for the display to NOT always center the
    image. By varying the image position left and right, it
    will be possible to mitigate the burn-in effects.

    Anyway, I'm going to assume "768p" is a mistake. It's
    probably 720p, meaning a 1280x720 pixel display. However,
    there are a number of other plasma resolutions--including
    some weird ones. Some of them have low resolutions, even
    as low as DVD resolution, essentially.

    >so what are the alternatives? i probably could convince her to buy a
    >laptop with a good videocard, but what would be the best way to

    connect
    >it? i know some video cards have s-video connections, but wouldnt that
    >look fuzzy on a tv that large?

    Do NOT bother with S-Video. You will be limited to DVD
    resolution, at best. It will also involve a lot of extra
    video processing which will probably limit you to much
    less than DVD quality.

    >do they make component adapters?

    Yes...sort of. You are correct in guessing that a computer
    of some sort is the best option, at the moment. However, a
    laptop is a BAD idea because their video display hardware
    tends to be difficult or impossible to configure properly.

    You want a desktop computer with an Ati Radeon video card.
    Make sure to get the "Ati dongle", an adapter which attaches
    to a Radeon's video output and adapts it to component output.
    This is different from a device called a "transcoder", which
    will actually translate VGA signals into component signals
    (they're different). Instead, it's just a simple hardwired
    adapter specific to a non-standard display capability of
    Ati Radeon cards.

    Assuming you're using Windows, the dongle lets you choose
    a few special HDTV modes. The one you want is 720p mode,
    or 1280x720 pixel resolution. This is the correct output
    mode which that plasma HDTV will be able to receive.

    Do a web search on "Ati Radeon HDTV dongle" to find out more.

    Of course, since we're talking about a computer there's a
    question of how to actually set up the slide show software.
    I suggest trying out Windows's "My Pictures" screensaver.
    This screensaver has various easy to understand settings.
    Not only will it display the pictures, it will do so with
    random image placement. This will prevent "burn-in" problems.

    Now, if I were doing this I'd do it with Linux, but then
    I'd be slapping together a custom computer and avoiding
    Windows would save me quite a few bucks. If you're not
    into custom building a computer, you're probably just
    going to get an inexpensive computer with Windows packaged
    along with it anyway.

    >are there any other gadgets that might do the trick?

    The Roku set-top box is an option, like all other current
    set-top media players, it's not yet really "ready for
    prime-time". IMHO, a cheap computer with Ati Radeon card
    is a much better option because it doesn't really cost any
    more and it's capable of much more.

    Isaac Kuo

    IsaacKuo, Dec 20, 2004
  7. "IsaacKuo" <> wrote

    > Anyway, I'm going to assume "768p" is a mistake. It's
    > probably 720p, meaning a 1280x720 pixel display.

    Might not be a mistake. Sony RP LCD sets display all signals at 788p: 768
    lines of 1368 dots, overscanned.

    mack
    austin

    Mack McKinnon, Dec 20, 2004
  8. etonblue

    Rui-Tao Dong Guest

    etonblue> i have a friend who has a 50" pioneer plasma hdtv
    etonblue> (768p). this friend has a couple thousand color slides that
    etonblue> she wants scanned and arranged so that she can show said
    etonblue> slides on a "slide show" on said 50" plasma
    etonblue> hdtv. originally, she said she wanted them on DVDs- but,
    etonblue> and correct me if i'm wrong, it is my understanding that
    etonblue> this wouldn't be the best way to display them because of
    etonblue> the DVD limitation of 480p (720x480).

    etonblue> so what are the alternatives? i probably could convince her
    etonblue> to buy a laptop with a good videocard, but what would be
    etonblue> the best way to connect it? i know some video cards have
    etonblue> s-video connections, but wouldnt that look fuzzy on a tv
    etonblue> that large? do they make component adapters? are there any
    etonblue> other gadgets that might do the trick?

    I have a Pioneer 503CMX which has a DVI connector (on the PDA 5002,
    actually). I am running at 1280x768 native resolution using a small
    Linux box with MythGallery (http://www.mythtv.org). I down sample my
    digital pictures (Digital Rebel) to 1536x1024 from 3072x2048 (to speed
    up transferring over wireless) and MythGallery resize them to about
    1280x822. So I'm losing about 27 pixels on the top and on the bottom.
    The picture is so much vibrant than the full res images on my laptop
    (LCD) or desktop (CRT) at 1600x1200. The only problem is that
    vertical pictures are too small, but I have learned not to take them :).

    --

    Rui-Tao Dong 董瑞涛 <>, Mission Viejo, California

    Rui-Tao Dong, Dec 27, 2004