    TIA

    Regards
    Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
    Rasoul Khohravan Azar, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Browntimdc Guest

    (Rasoul Khohravan Azar) wrote in
    news::

    > I am trying to send some digital photo via e-mail which I took with my
    > digital camera (Toshiba). They are in JPEG format and each one is
    > about 400 Kb.
    > Sending ten of them at once will make about 4 Mb which i two big for
    > my telephone line to handle (Will take at least one hour with
    > dissconnections)
    > then I though it is better to compress them with Winzip (Zip format)
    > but thi didn't help that much as it reduced only 6 percent.
    > Is there any eay way for sending photos.
    > What is the best format for compressing photos so that the size
    > reduces by half.

    You need to reduce the size of the image to, say, 800x600 or 640x480

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham
    Browntimdc, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Rasoul Khohravan Azar wrote:
    > I am trying to send some digital photo via e-mail which I took with my
    > digital camera (Toshiba). They are in JPEG format and each one is
    > about 400 Kb.
    > Sending ten of them at once will make about 4 Mb which i two big for
    > my telephone line to handle (Will take at least one hour with
    > dissconnections)
    > then I though it is better to compress them with Winzip (Zip format)
    > but thi didn't help that much as it reduced only 6 percent.
    > Is there any eay way for sending photos.
    > What is the best format for compressing photos so that the size
    > reduces by half.
    >
    > If I haved posted to wrong place, ill be happy to be directed to
    > correct place.

    You can't further compress jpeg because it's ALREADY compressed.
    You basically have two options:

    1. Reduce the size
    2. Maintain the current size but increase compression (through a
    program that can save the .jpg format at different level of compression.)
    There will be degradation in quality but that depends very much on the
    content of the photo (in a very "busy" photo it will be much less
    noticeable,
    in one with a single subject and a "consistent" background it will be more.)
    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Scott Guest

    > You can't further compress jpeg because it's ALREADY compressed.
    > You basically have two options:

    Not true. In fact, everytime you re-save a JPG in a graphics editor you are
    re-compressing it.

    I first save it as a PSD file in Photoshop. Then reduce the DPI to 72 (if
    it's only going to be displayed on-screen). Then re-size the dimensions if
    needed. From there, use Photoshop's "Save To Web" feature. Select the
    "Progressive" checkbox, and play with the quality settings until you achieve
    the balance between quality and filesize you want.

    Oh, and because it recompresses everytime you save, you should avoid
    directly editing the JPG file. Save it as a PSD or BMP first. Otherwise,
    if you're a *good* computer user who saves often, you'll compress it to
    death and end up with artifacts-a-plenty.

    - Scott
    Scott, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    K9660R Guest

    << Subject: Re: Best way to compress photos (JPEG) >><BR><BR>

    For Mac OSX there are several third party freeware apps. that do an incredible
    job of reducing .jpg file size. I currently use one called PhotoConverter 2. An
    example. I just reduced a 420kb picture taken with my digital camera to 64kb.
    Seriously, looking at them side by side, I cannot see a difference.

    I 'm sure there are plenty of shareware/freeware apps. available for Windows
    as well.

    Ken
    K9660R, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Lucas Tam Guest

    > Is there any eay way for sending photos.
    > What is the best format for compressing photos so that the size
    > reduces by half.

    If you have Windows XP you can right click and choose to e-mail the photo.

    Otherwise, Irfanview does a great job of batch resizing.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Scott wrote:

    >> You can't further compress jpeg because it's ALREADY compressed.
    >> You basically have two options:

    > Not true. In fact, everytime you re-save a JPG in a graphics editor
    > you are re-compressing it.

    That's not what I was saying. My point was that it's useless to use
    winzip or any other compressor because the best you can achieve
    is a 2-3% shrinkage of the original.
    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Thanks for your reply.
    Could you please tell more about two steps you have mentioned?
    Rasoul Khohravan Azar, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Thanks for your reply.
    Do you have any idea where can I find the mentioned free/shareware for
    windows XP. How should I search the web for info on that?

    TIA
    Rasoul Khohravan Azar, Oct 29, 2003
  10. > If you have Windows XP you can right click and choose to e-mail the photo.

    > Otherwise, Irfanview does a great job of batch resizing.

    Will Windows XP reduce the size also?
    What is Irfanview?

    TIA
    Rasoul Khohravan Azar, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Terry Guest

    Irfanview is a free editing software that enables you to do batch
    conversions and lossless rotation among other things. Download for free at
    www.Irfanview.com

    Terry, Oct 29, 2003
  12. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Phil Guest

    On 28 Oct 2003 22:55:56 GMT, cal (K9660R) wrote:

    >For Mac OSX there are several third party freeware apps. that do an incredible
    >job of reducing .jpg file size. I currently use one called PhotoConverter 2. An
    >example. I just reduced a 420kb picture taken with my digital camera to 64kb.
    >Seriously, looking at them side by side, I cannot see a difference.

    Image Optimizer is one of these. I use it a lot. You have complete
    control of how much to compress. You can download a demo and play with
    it. Some degrees of compression are undetectable on a monitor but a
    compression to 10% of the original size makes a lousy image!

    Go to Google.com and do a search using
    image optimizer download
    as your keywords

    Phil
    Phil, Oct 29, 2003
  13. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Gew Guest

    > You can't further compress jpeg because it's ALREADY compressed.

    Don't you just love people who for some reason like to teach about subjects they
    know nothing about?
    Gew, Oct 29, 2003
  14. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Gew Guest

    > I am trying to send some digital photo via e-mail which I took with my
    > digital camera (Toshiba). They are in JPEG format and each one is
    > about 400 Kb.
    > Sending ten of them at once will make about 4 Mb which i two big for
    > my telephone line to handle (Will take at least one hour with
    > dissconnections)

    Open the photo up in your photo editor, then do a "SAVE AS" pick JPG
    again, but this time before saving when it asks you the quality level,
    choose a lower quality. Experiment to find the perfect level that gives
    you a good enough picture for showing someone via an email, yet makes the
    file size much smaller.
    Gew, Oct 29, 2003
  15. I just did a test and had Thumbs+2K compress the same high-resolution photo
    to a 400*278 Pixel picture of size 18 K.

    The jpeg2000 compressed version looks much better than the jpg version, as
    there are much less visual artifacts.

    -Michael

    -Michael Schnell, Krefeld, Germany,
    mailto:
    Michael Schnell, Oct 29, 2003
  16. Yes it will.
    It gives you the option of downsizing or sending full size.
    If you click the Advanced button, you can choose between
    640x480 (the default) or 800x600.

    I love this feature!
    You don't have to mess around with making another file, re-saving
    or accidentally saving over your original.

    John

    John Rossbach, Oct 30, 2003
  17. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Lucas Tam Guest

    >> If you have Windows XP you can right click and choose to e-mail the
    >> photo.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, Irfanview does a great job of batch resizing.

    > Will Windows XP reduce the size also?

    Yup, you get a choice of sizes.

    Irfanview is a free graphics viewer with batch resize:

    http://www.irfanview.com I think... or check google.com.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Oct 30, 2003
  18. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    Guest

    Rasoul Khohravan Azar <> wrote:
    > Is there any eay way for sending photos.
    > What is the best format for compressing photos so that the size
    > reduces by half.

    > If I haved posted to wrong place, ill be happy to be directed to
    > correct place.

    I just put photos on my web site and email a URL to my friends.
    Works well for me.
    , Nov 2, 2003
  19. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    MailSavR

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    I know that conventional wisdom says you can't compress a jpg because it's already compressed format but you can. I found a program call Shrink that compresses jpgs with no loss of image quality.

    With Shrink, I reduced 366mb worth of pictures to 125mb! With compression this great, you can send photos three times as fast.

    I was skeptical about the image quality so I checked some of the images after decompression at 15x magnification. I couldn't find any difference between the decompressed file and with the original - AT ALL. The best part is it's only 10 bucks to register.

    I can't post urls yet so to find the program, you'll have to add the www to the start of this link-- sharewaregenie.com/ShrinkReview.php

    I hope this helped.
    MailSavR, Feb 24, 2009
  20. Rasoul Khohravan Azar

    gnipun

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    You DO realize that you are replying to a post over 6 years old
    gnipun, Aug 13, 2009