    What is the best resolution to use when capturing video from the tv or
    vcr?
    , Jan 12, 2004

  2. Mike Davis Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > What is the best resolution to use when capturing video from the tv or
    > vcr?

    Chill,
    I have a Pinnacle capture card in my PC. I use 640x480 for Satellite TV
    sources and while I don't usually capture VHS, I would imagine that 320x240
    would probably work pretty well (note; IIRC this is the same standard
    resolution as VCD.) DVD's are a whole different animal as you want to
    capture the full anamorphic image.
    All the best, Mike
    Mike Davis, Jan 12, 2004

  3. "Mike Davis" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message news:...
    > > What is the best resolution to use when capturing video from the tv or
    > > vcr?

    > Chill,
    > I have a Pinnacle capture card in my PC. I use 640x480 for Satellite

    TV
    > sources and while I don't usually capture VHS, I would imagine that

    320x240
    > would probably work pretty well (note; IIRC this is the same standard
    > resolution as VCD.) DVD's are a whole different animal as you want to
    > capture the full anamorphic image.
    > All the best, Mike

    Actually, VCD is 352x240.

    There shouldnt be any reason why an anamorphic video is going into a PC
    card. The only people who should be dealing with anamorphic video are the
    people at movie studios dealing with 35mm film.

    On a DVD, you can either use a 4:3 aspect or 16:9. 4:3 is for regular TV
    programs or P&S crap. 16:9 is for widescreen TV programs, or properly
    formatted movies.

    Whatever res you use, however, be sure you aren't dropping frames & that the
    format you intend to record to won't require any scaling. If you want to
    burn to DVD, use atleast 640x480, with emphasis on the 480. If it can do
    704x480, thats a DVD resolution, so you just have to make it into MPEG2 and
    your good to go. You can also use the more popular 720x480 DVD resolution.

    SVCD is 480x480, so if you want to do that, capturing in 640x480 is okay,
    720 and 704 would be a large horizontal reduction, so try to avoid doing
    that. It is important not to scale the vertical. It makes it look worse,
    not that it wont work, just looks bad.

    VCD is 352x240, so use that if you want to get it into that. I've found out
    that if you put VCD files on DVD (but actually author them into VOB files
    with all the standard IFO/BUP files), you can use a bitrate of about
    1680kbps instead of 1150kbps. This makes them look a lot better. You can
    also use 192kbps AC3 audio, instead of 224kbps MP2. Actually, to make a DVD
    you need an AC3 audio track, so it only makes sense to make the AC3 one.

    If you ever find yourself in a PAL country, change all the 480s to 576 & all
    the 240s to 288. The horizontal stays the same (so 480x480 -> 480x576, not
    576x576). You can use MP2 for PAL DVDs, for some reason they felt it was
    okay to do that, so they dont really need an AC3 audio track. Note: AC3 is
    better than MP2!!!
    Anonymous Joe, Jan 13, 2004