    Scott
    --
    www.treasuredude.net.tc

    Scott Nelson, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Scott Nelson

    Erik Guest

    Scott Nelson wrote:

    > What is the best way to backup Thunderbird email and settings? Is
    > there some third party software or a way to do it within the program
    > itself?

    Personally, I just back up my profile directory (C:\Documents and
    Settings\Smith\Application Data\Thunderbird) and don't worry about the
    programs/extensions. I just zip it up [make sure you are out of the
    application for best results] (and then encrypt it with gpg of course
    ;-) and put it in a safe location (web server, burnt CD, etc.)

    --
    -Erik
    http://blog.thesmithlife.com

    Erik, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Scott Nelson

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>, treasuredude62
    @nospamhotmail.com says...

    > What is the best way to backup Thunderbird email and settings? Is there
    > some third party software or a way to do it within the program itself?

    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Scott Nelson

    remote Guest

    Erik wrote:
    > Scott Nelson wrote:
    >

    >>What is the best way to backup Thunderbird email and settings? Is
    >>there some third party software or a way to do it within the program
    >>itself?

    > Personally, I just back up my profile directory (C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Smith\Application Data\Thunderbird) and don't worry about the
    > programs/extensions. I just zip it up [make sure you are out of the
    > application for best results] (and then encrypt it with gpg of course
    > ;-) and put it in a safe location (web server, burnt CD, etc.)

    I wasn't even aware of the need to backup and I lost all my emails when
    I changed my ISP and deleted its account. All emails generated under
    that account were apparently lost. Do you know of a way to go back and
    find them without having to remember the old ISP names and passwords?

    remote, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Scott Nelson

    Doug G Guest

    remote wrote:
    > Erik wrote:
    >> Scott Nelson wrote:
    >>

    >>>What is the best way to backup Thunderbird email and settings? Is
    >>>there some third party software or a way to do it within the program
    >>>itself?

    >> Personally, I just back up my profile directory (C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\Smith\Application Data\Thunderbird) and don't worry about the
    >> programs/extensions. I just zip it up [make sure you are out of the
    >> application for best results] (and then encrypt it with gpg of course
    >> ;-) and put it in a safe location (web server, burnt CD, etc.)
    >>

    > I wasn't even aware of the need to backup and I lost all my emails when
    > I changed my ISP and deleted its account. All emails generated under
    > that account were apparently lost. Do you know of a way to go back and
    > find them without having to remember the old ISP names and passwords?

    In my experience Mozilla doesn't delete the Mail\mail.server.name folder
    of an account that is removed via Tools > Account Settings. Look on
    your hard drive for a folder named after the old ISP's mail server. If
    you find it, close Thunderbird, rename the extensionless files in the
    folder and move them to the profile's Local Folders folder. The folders
    represented by the files should appear in TB when the program is restarted.

    Doug G, Jun 8, 2005
  6. Scott Nelson

    remote Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > remote wrote:
    >
    >> Erik wrote:

    >>> Personally, I just back up my profile directory (C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\Smith\Application Data\Thunderbird) and don't worry about the
    >>> programs/extensions. I just zip it up [make sure you are out of the
    >>> application for best results] (and then encrypt it with gpg of course
    >>> ;-) and put it in a safe location (web server, burnt CD, etc.)
    >>>

    >> I wasn't even aware of the need to backup and I lost all my emails
    >> when I changed my ISP and deleted its account. All emails generated
    >> under that account were apparently lost. Do you know of a way to go
    >> back and find them without having to remember the old ISP names and
    >> passwords?

    > In my experience Mozilla doesn't delete the Mail\mail.server.name folder
    > of an account that is removed via Tools > Account Settings. Look on
    > your hard drive for a folder named after the old ISP's mail server. If
    > you find it, close Thunderbird, rename the extensionless files in the
    > folder and move them to the profile's Local Folders folder. The folders
    > represented by the files should appear in TB when the program is restarted.

    Sounds good, thanks Doug.

    remote, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Scott Nelson

    tech geek

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    may be Mozbackup do the task, but i prefer manual backup

    ceveni.com/2009/03/how-to-back-up-and-restore-email.html

    i am using thunderbird with lightning and i will take backups now and then whenever i change my system and i prefer manual is best and easy way of doing it without a single error

    tech geek, Mar 20, 2009