best VOIP supplier

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Adam Lipscombe, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. Folks,

    Subjective for sure, but I seek opinions on the best VOIP supplier.

    I currently have 2 landlines:

    1 business line with BT business MAX ADSL on it for my home office.
    1 residential line for the house. The residential line has a 2nd number (call sign) for the kids.

    I would like to ditch the residential line and run a VOIP house phone over the business line.
    Ideally there should be 2 numbers, 1 for me and my better half, 1 for the kids.

    Ideally I would like a fixed monthly cost, or cheap minute-by-minute billing. Not PAYG top-up.
    Reliability is important. The broadband connection seems pretty stable.

    I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.

    Any recommendations?

    TIA - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Adam Lipscombe

    Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:14:30 +0100, Adam Lipscombe
    <> wrote:

    >I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.

    Nope not special kit they supply a 4 port or 3 port router depending
    which you want with two phone ports all very simple and stright
    forward and more than enough free telephone support 24/7, no pratting
    about with emails and then waiting for some pratt to come home from
    the boozer to reply to you like with one voip provider that I know of
    ..

    , Sep 13, 2006

  3. Adam Lipscombe

    Brian A Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Folks,
    >

    >Subjective for sure, but I seek opinions on the best VOIP supplier.
    >

    >I currently have 2 landlines:
    >
    >1 business line with BT business MAX ADSL on it for my home office.
    >1 residential line for the house. The residential line has a 2nd number (call sign) for the kids.
    >

    >I would like to ditch the residential line and run a VOIP house phone over the business line.
    >Ideally there should be 2 numbers, 1 for me and my better half, 1 for the kids.
    >
    >Ideally I would like a fixed monthly cost, or cheap minute-by-minute billing. Not PAYG top-up.
    >Reliability is important. The broadband connection seems pretty stable.
    >

    >I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.

    Locked kit. If you decide you don't want Vonage anymore you have a
    piece of kit that is only works on Vonage - watch out for locked
    devices.
    If you are happy to have the same provider incoming/outgoing, for a
    given line, you could use something as simple as a Linksys PAP2.
    Strong advice: Do not buy one second hand and watch out for any that
    are locked (to Vonage usually).
    www.broadbandstuff.co.uk
    usually have good prices.

    Alternatively, if you want to route your business line through to the
    same set of handsets as your residential voip line (OR you wish to
    have more flexibility in VSPs) then choose a linksys/Sipura SPA-3000 -
    and use a separate ATA for the kids.

    You could also look at the Fritzbox but I can't advise on that at all
    because I don't have one.

    >Any recommendations?
    >

    >TIA - Adam

    voip.co.uk
    Residential: £2/month for inclusive off-peak calls (up to one
    hour/call) and peak calls at 2p/call (up to one hour/call)
    Reliable even if not so proficient at their billing. Geographical
    number for your own city.
    Remember that you don't have to use the same VSP for incoming and
    outgoing.

    If you want a provider with nice incoming services such as a good
    voicemail, 1471, caller ID, call waiting etc. then look at
    voipfone.co.uk

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Adam Lipscombe

    Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:30:58 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >Locked kit. If you decide you don't want Vonage anymore you have a
    >piece of kit that is only works on Vonage - watch out for locked
    >devices.

    Do not tell half a tale Brian you do not buy the device from Vonage
    anymore in fact I do not think you can buy them anymore the device
    cost you nothing except the delivery charge leave Vonage within 91
    days and they want it back leave after 91 days and you are left with a
    fully working Linksys 3 port or 4 port Motorola fully working router
    which has cost you nothing except the orignal delivery charge .
    So what is there to loose be it locked or not .
    >If you are happy to have the same provider incoming/outgoing, for a
    >given line, you could use something as simple as a Linksys PAP2.
    >Strong advice: Do not buy one second hand and watch out for any that
    >are locked (to Vonage usually).

    The PAP2 is damned expencive now at over 70.00 I thought it a bit
    steep at 50.00 a year ago .

    , Sep 13, 2006
  5. Many thanks for this.

    I want to keep the business line with normal telephone service, cos my customers know this number.
    And I have to have the line for broadband anyway.

    The residential handsets are separate from the business handsets (the office is outside the house).

    Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT "Business Hub" - aka 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need
    the routers that you mention?
    The hub has a phone port into which you can plug a normal telephone apparently

    Thanks -Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Adam Lipscombe

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:58:37 GMT, wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:30:58 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Locked kit. If you decide you don't want Vonage anymore you have a
    >>piece of kit that is only works on Vonage - watch out for locked
    >>devices.

    >Do not tell half a tale Brian you do not buy the device from Vonage
    >anymore in fact I do not think you can buy them anymore the device
    >cost you nothing except the delivery charge leave Vonage within 91
    >days and they want it back leave after 91 days and you are left with a
    >fully working Linksys 3 port or 4 port Motorola fully working router
    >which has cost you nothing except the orignal delivery charge .
    >So what is there to loose be it locked or not .
    >>If you are happy to have the same provider incoming/outgoing, for a
    >>given line, you could use something as simple as a Linksys PAP2.
    >>Strong advice: Do not buy one second hand and watch out for any that
    >>are locked (to Vonage usually).

    >The PAP2 is damned expencive now at over 70.00 I thought it a bit
    >steep at 50.00 a year ago .

    Just Froogled the prices. Seems like broadbandstuff is not the winner
    now at all. Assuming not locked voiptalk are doing it at £52.86 inc
    VAT. Other vendors are around £50. The alternative is to buy it on a
    foreign web site. We nearly always get ripped off in the UK.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Adam Lipscombe

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:02:28 +0100, Adam Lipscombe
    <> wrote:

    >Many thanks for this.
    >

    >I want to keep the business line with normal telephone service, cos my customers know this number.
    >And I have to have the line for broadband anyway.
    >

    >The residential handsets are separate from the business handsets (the office is outside the house).
    >

    >Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT "Business Hub" - aka 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need
    >the routers that you mention?
    >The hub has a phone port into which you can plug a normal telephone apparently

    Is this supplied by BT - could it be locked to their service?? If not
    then you could use this for a voip line.
    There should be no reason why you should not connect an ATA to your
    router. It may be necessary to 'forward' some ports in the router set
    up. If you are able to access the set up then this should be no
    problem.
    For an ATA I'd check out the Sipura web site and then Froogle for
    linksys or Sipura (same company) versions of the device you choose.

    Brian A, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Adam Lipscombe

    Jono Guest

    Brian A explained :

    >> Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT "Business Hub" - aka
    >> 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need the routers that you mention?
    >> The hub has a phone port into which you can plug a normal telephone
    >> apparently

    > Is this supplied by BT - could it be locked to their service?? If not
    > then you could use this for a voip line.

    Not just directed at you, Brian A........but what's up with putting a
    space between the OP's comments & a reply? It's flippin'
    annoying.......

    Jono, Sep 13, 2006
  9. Adam Lipscombe

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Brian A explained :
    >
    > > > Can I get this to work via my existing router (a BT
    > > > "Business Hub" - aka 2Wire 2700VG) or do I need the
    > > > routers that you mention? The hub has a phone port into which you
    > > > can plug a
    > > > normal telephone apparently

    > > Is this supplied by BT - could it be locked to their
    > > service?? If not then you could use this for a voip
    > > line.

    > Not just directed at you, Brian A........but what's up
    > with putting a space between the OP's comments & a reply?
    > It's flippin' annoying.......

    He must be related to Dexter ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 13, 2006
  10. Adam Lipscombe

    The Iceman Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >

    > Subjective for sure, but I seek opinions on the best VOIP supplier.
    >

    > I currently have 2 landlines:
    >
    > 1 business line with BT business MAX ADSL on it for my home office.
    > 1 residential line for the house. The residential line has a 2nd number
    > (call sign) for the kids.
    >

    > I would like to ditch the residential line and run a VOIP house phone over
    > the business line.
    > Ideally there should be 2 numbers, 1 for me and my better half, 1 for the
    > kids.
    >
    > Ideally I would like a fixed monthly cost, or cheap minute-by-minute
    > billing. Not PAYG top-up.
    > Reliability is important. The broadband connection seems pretty stable.
    >

    > I looked at vonage but is seems you need special kit.
    >

    > Any recommendations?
    >

    > TIA - Adam

    I'm happy with Sipgate.

    The Iceman, Sep 13, 2006