    a local incoming number that I should consider?

    Thanks

    Me
    Me, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Me

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >
    >I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    >a local incoming number that I should consider?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Me

    Voipfone are quite reliable and have good working features.

    voip.co.uk have some attractive pricing and seem to be reliable but
    are are new and still getting it together. Not all the services listed
    on their site are available to all yet - e.g. voicemail.
    Call forwarding, last time I tried it via my ATA, didn't work yet
    either. For general incoming/outgoing calls voip.co.uk is good.
    In time they could be a main player but they made the mistake of
    launching before they have sorted out the services.My impression is it
    is rather like launching a restaurant without having tried out all the
    recipies and thus only offering a cut-down menu, some of the equipment
    not working in the kitchen and limited staff to sort it.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks for that info Brian.

    It looks good

    Me

    Me, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Me

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >
    >I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    >a local incoming number that I should consider?

    Forget Sipgate but there are three very reliable ones Vonage has you
    have mentioned Freetalk and Voipfone keep well away from Sipgate
    unless you want loads of aggravation due to very poor service .
    , Nov 30, 2005
  5. Me

    Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:

    > Forget Sipgate but there are three very reliable ones Vonage has you
    > have mentioned Freetalk and Voipfone keep well away from Sipgate
    > unless you want loads of aggravation due to very poor service .

    Forget Dexter as his Sipgate problems may be his setup or imagination.
    Quite good here in 6 months use (one major six hour outage recorded) -
    apart from the diabolical Voicemail. Support ok if you are happy with
    email and the consequent day or so response - but this is of little
    help in an emergency.

    If it is mission critical than Vonage has to be a strong contender with
    their CS but, of course, you can't switch their kit (or Freetalk's) to
    another provider should they become unreliable.

    Remember VOIP can't be more reliable than your broadband ISP & router.
    Your connection & setup may be as important as to your VOIP provider.

    Stuart
    , Nov 30, 2005

  6. > Remember VOIP can't be more reliable than your broadband ISP & router.
    > Your connection & setup may be as important as to your VOIP provider.

    A key factor for me is the option to automatically divert calls to another
    number (e.g.your mobile) if your network is down. Not all offer this (Vonage
    do, some others may also). Obviously you pay the cost of the diverted call
    in this case.

    --
    John Blessing

    businesses
    for your meeting/class over the web.
    http://www.outlook-find-replace.com - Find & Replace in Emails, Contacts,
    Appointments, Tasks and Notes
    http://www.schedule-email.com - Schedule multiple individual
    emails/newsletters
    John Blessing, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Me

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:

    > > Forget Sipgate but there are three very reliable ones
    > > Vonage has you have mentioned Freetalk and Voipfone
    > > keep well away from Sipgate unless you want loads of
    > > aggravation due to very poor service .

    > Forget Dexter as his Sipgate problems may be his setup or
    > imagination. Quite good here in 6 months use (one major
    > six hour outage recorded) - apart from the diabolical
    > Voicemail. Support ok if you are happy with email and the
    > consequent day or so response - but this is of little
    > help in an emergency.

    He isn't even a customer any more, he even got a refund of unused credit
    from them and they usually have a no refunds policy. He's still not happy.

    Apart from a few occasional blips, Sipgate has been fine for me on 4
    separate numbers for several months.

    > If it is mission critical than Vonage has to be a strong
    > contender with their CS but, of course, you can't switch
    > their kit (or Freetalk's) to another provider should they
    > become unreliable.

    I'd recommend Gradwell for business use.

    > Remember VOIP can't be more reliable than your broadband
    > ISP & router. Your connection & setup may be as important
    > as to your VOIP provider.

    Indeed. A lot of problems are blamed on the VoIP provider that are down to
    either the user's ISP or, more usually, their (mis)configuration of their
    equipment.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Nov 30, 2005
  8. Me

    Dave Gill Guest

    Me <> wrote:

    > I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >
    > I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    > a local incoming number that I should consider?

    One thing to look out for is whether the service you choose will work
    with standard ATAs and VoIP routers or will you have to buy a device
    that's specific to their service?

    Vonage and FreeTalk have good backing and provide a reliable service,
    but you need to buy their own-branded locked-to-their-service ATAs or
    routers - not much use if you want to change providers or experiment a
    bit with several different ones. And not much good for you if you want
    to use your existing router...

    Providers like Sipgate, Gradwell, Voipfone and VoIP.co.uk will sell you
    a preconfigured ATA/router if you wish, but you don't have to buy one
    from them if you don't want to, and even if you do you can change the
    settings for another provider.

    Sipgate get mixed reviews here, but for someone who has, or intends to
    get, their own unlocked ATA it won't cost much to give them a try.

    Gradwell aim themselves primarily at small/medium sized businesses, and
    base their offering on a sensible business model, so although they do
    offer a single user account there is a monthly " line rental" and they
    don't do any calls-included packages.

    Voipfone I haven't used, but they seem to be well liked in this group.

    VoIP.co.uk are the new boys on the block. Their basic service seems
    very reliable so far, their calls-inclusive packages are attractive and
    they plan to offer a fairly wide range of services. However, their
    offering is still undergoing a bit of development work, which has it's
    pluses and minuses - you get the chance to influence things via
    feedback, but things might not work quite as expected initially. If
    they've done their sums properly they'll be ones to look out for.

    Dave Gill, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Me

    Me Guest

    Thank you Dave for a very full and interesting response.

    I will investigate www.voip.co.uk and www.voipfone.co.uk

    Regards

    Me

    Me, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Me

    Sean Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >>
    >>I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    >>a local incoming number that I should consider?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Me

    > Voipfone are quite reliable and have good working features.
    >
    > voip.co.uk have some attractive pricing and seem to be reliable but
    > are are new and still getting it together. Not all the services listed
    > on their site are available to all yet - e.g. voicemail.
    > Call forwarding, last time I tried it via my ATA, didn't work yet
    > either. For general incoming/outgoing calls voip.co.uk is good.
    > In time they could be a main player but they made the mistake of
    > launching before they have sorted out the services.My impression is it
    > is rather like launching a restaurant without having tried out all the
    > recipies and thus only offering a cut-down menu, some of the equipment
    > not working in the kitchen and limited staff to sort it.
    >

    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone, and
    dont end when i hang up!
    Sean, Nov 30, 2005
  11. Me

    Dave Gill Guest

    Sean <> wrote:

    > When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone, and
    > dont end when i hang up!

    Yes, I've noticed that when I ring someone from my VoIP.co.uk account
    the ringback pattern I hear is the US one, but that's not what the
    called party will hear (that will depend on their equipment).

    Not noticed the hang-up problem here.

    Dave Gill, Nov 30, 2005
  12. Me

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:53:12 +0000, Sean
    <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >>>
    >>>I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    >>>a local incoming number that I should consider?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Me

    >> Voipfone are quite reliable and have good working features.
    >>
    >> voip.co.uk have some attractive pricing and seem to be reliable but
    >> are are new and still getting it together. Not all the services listed
    >> on their site are available to all yet - e.g. voicemail.
    >> Call forwarding, last time I tried it via my ATA, didn't work yet
    >> either. For general incoming/outgoing calls voip.co.uk is good.
    >> In time they could be a main player but they made the mistake of
    >> launching before they have sorted out the services.My impression is it
    >> is rather like launching a restaurant without having tried out all the
    >> recipies and thus only offering a cut-down menu, some of the equipment
    >> not working in the kitchen and limited staff to sort it.
    >>

    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone, and
    >dont end when i hang up!

    They currently do ring with a US tone. I guess they will change that
    eventually.
    I've not had the problem of the call continuing when on-hook. Does
    this occur with any other operators? If you are not registered with
    any others you can do one minute free calls with sipdiscount and
    voipbuster. Someone on here might be able to tell you if it is
    anything to do with your ATA settings. I've never had such a problem.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Nov 30, 2005
  13. Me

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Sean writes
    >Brian A wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, Me<> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >>>
    >>>I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    >>>a local incoming number that I should consider?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Me

    >> Voipfone are quite reliable and have good working features.
    >> voip.co.uk have some attractive pricing and seem to be reliable but
    >> are are new and still getting it together. Not all the services listed
    >> on their site are available to all yet - e.g. voicemail.
    >> Call forwarding, last time I tried it via my ATA, didn't work yet
    >> either. For general incoming/outgoing calls voip.co.uk is good.
    >> In time they could be a main player but they made the mistake of
    >> launching before they have sorted out the services.My impression is it
    >> is rather like launching a restaurant without having tried out all the
    >> recipies and thus only offering a cut-down menu, some of the equipment
    >> not working in the kitchen and limited staff to sort it.
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone,
    >and dont end when i hang up!

    I think the ringing tone is generated by your ATA.

    Unanswered calls don't stop ringing at the other end when the SIP phone
    is hung up I have found; but this has been reported and I expect I shall
    hear back from Theo eventually, with all the other points raised.

    David
    David Floyd, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Me

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Brian A writes
    >On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:53:12 +0000, Sean
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >They currently do ring with a US tone.

    It doesn't for me. Anyway I thought the ringing tone is generated by
    your ATA.

    >I've not had the problem of the call continuing when on-hook.

    Well I have that problem if the call isn't answered. The BT phone (for
    example) still rings when the SIP phone is hung up.

    >Does
    >this occur with any other operators?

    Not for me, it doesn't (I wasn't the original poster on this)

    David
    David Floyd, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Me

    Ben Jones Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.
    >
    > I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
    > a local incoming number that I should consider?

    I'm VERY happy with www.voiptalk.org with the prepay silver option.

    HTH

    Ben
    Ben Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  16. Me

    GwG Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    > I've not had the problem of the call continuing when on-hook. Does
    > this occur with any other operators? If you are not registered with
    > any others you can do one minute free calls with sipdiscount and
    > voipbuster. Someone on here might be able to tell you if it is
    > anything to do with your ATA settings. I've never had such a problem.

    I am using Sipgate, with a Sipura 2000. Occasionally, if an incoming
    call is received, and the caller hangs up before the call is answered,
    my phone (dect phone plugged into the Sipura), will continue ringing for
    about 15 seconds after the incoming call has been terminated, (I found
    this out when ringing my own number to test the system), so it appears
    this could be a problem with VoIP, and not just one provider. This
    problem is intermittent, and probably not noticed in normal use, because
    the caller would not notice any problems other than an unanswered call,
    and the called party would not notice, as the call would not be answered
    anyway.
    GwG, Dec 1, 2005
  17. Me

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Been using Sipgate for a few months and I'm fairly happy with them. Sipgate
    and probably all of their competitors definitely can't be compared directly
    with POTS in terms of quality/reliability/stability but considering the
    enormous cost saving I can live with any minor problems.
    Joe Harrison, Dec 1, 2005
  18. Me

    Mark Adamson Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > In message of Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Sean writes
    >>Brian A wrote:

    >>> Voipfone are quite reliable and have good working features.
    >>> voip.co.uk have some attractive pricing and seem to be reliable but
    >>> are are new and still getting it together. Not all the services listed
    >>> on their site are available to all yet - e.g. voicemail.
    >>> Call forwarding, last time I tried it via my ATA, didn't work yet
    >>> either. For general incoming/outgoing calls voip.co.uk is good.
    >>> In time they could be a main player but they made the mistake of
    >>> launching before they have sorted out the services.My impression is it
    >>> is rather like launching a restaurant without having tried out all the
    >>> recipies and thus only offering a cut-down menu, some of the equipment
    >>> not working in the kitchen and limited staff to sort it.
    >>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >>When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone, and
    >>dont end when i hang up!

    > I think the ringing tone is generated by your ATA.
    >
    > Unanswered calls don't stop ringing at the other end when the SIP phone is
    > hung up I have found; but this has been reported and I expect I shall hear
    > back from Theo eventually, with all the other points raised.
    >
    > David

    I originally had this problem a week back and let Theo know.

    It seemed to have been fixed when I tried it a few days back, can somebody
    confirm whether it is still an issue?

    Mark
    Mark Adamson, Dec 2, 2005
  19. Me

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:43:53 GMT, wrote:

    >Forget Sipgate but there are three very reliable ones Vonage has you
    >have mentioned Freetalk and Voipfone keep well away from Sipgate
    >unless you want loads of aggravation due to very poor service .

    Ignore Dexter who seems to have an obsessive vendetta against Sipgate,
    unless you want to be told a load of rubbish.

    I used Sipgate for some time with no problems, but voip.co.uk are
    cheaper.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
  20. Me

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:43:53 GMT,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Forget Sipgate but there are three very reliable ones
    > > Vonage has you have mentioned Freetalk and Voipfone
    > > keep well away from Sipgate unless you want loads of
    > > aggravation due to very poor service .

    > Ignore Dexter who seems to have an obsessive vendetta
    > against Sipgate, unless you want to be told a load of
    > rubbish.
    >
    > I used Sipgate for some time with no problems, but
    > voip.co.uk are cheaper.

    Depends on the calls you make. 99% of my calls on Sipgate are to other
    VoIP users (mainly Sipgate but some others) which are free anyway. This
    may well change next month when I ditch my Orange mobile contract and
    start making more calls to landlines from it though.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 2, 2005