Best Voip adaptor

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Nigel, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
    cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
    mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference with
    the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending the
    extra money??

    Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??

    Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any one
    recommend any?? I am looking to spend about £75 on an adaptor and maybe a
    3100 on a combined.

    thanks.

    Nigel

    --

    Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
    www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk

    Nigel, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    Nigel, Feb 12, 2007

  3. Nigel

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:32:22 +0100, "Nigel" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
    >cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
    >mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference with
    >the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending the
    >extra money??
    >
    >Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??
    >

    >Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any one
    >recommend any?? I am looking to spend about £75 on an adaptor and maybe a
    >3100 on a combined.

    If you don't have a router, and you want one to route to more than
    just one PC, then you probably won't do better than a Fritzbox Fon
    7140 - but that will cost £129 + Postage (voiptalk.org) It is a modem,
    router, multi-voip line device with standard landline integration.
    If you only want to use one PC, and you already have a modem, then the
    Linksys/Sipura 3102, ATA/one LAN port router, would be a very good
    choice. Only one incoming voip number but the choice of 5 different
    outgoing providers + full support for a standard landline connection.
    It is available for £53.85 +postage from broadbandstuff.co.uk
    The SPA-1001 is good in that it will facilitate 2 incoming numbers to
    one analogue phone port. However, unlike the SPA-3102, it only
    provides for 2 outgoing providers (the same as the incoming ones), it
    also does not have support for integrating a standard landline (if you
    have one).
    I know little about the grandstream devices so I decline to comment.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Nigel

    Mr Flobby Guest

    > I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
    > cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
    > mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference
    > with the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending
    > the extra money??
    >
    > Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??
    >

    > Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any
    > one recommend any?? I am looking to spend about £75 on an adaptor and
    > maybe a 3100 on a combined.

    The Grandstream stuff is actually pretty good, IMO. The answer to your
    question depends a lot on what you want to do. If you're using your
    existing phone, you'll need one with PSTN pass through so you can make calls
    over the public network when you need to. Some have this as a fail safe
    option, and it cannot be activated while the device is on and registered.
    Incoming calls are unaffected.

    Some integrated devices are ok, for example, I use a Zyxel 2602HWL-61C. If
    it breaks, I'll be trying the Draytek series next. Reason being that the
    weak point on the Zyxel is the relay to PSTN which introduces audible noise
    to the line for PSTN calls. I have already had one fail due to this relay.
    The other issue to watch out for is firmware updates. If they are not
    releasing regular updates, and not responding to issues, as Zyxel have done
    with me, then they don't deserve your cash.

    So, there are a number of points to look for :

    Integrated Unit vs Router and ATA Combo. In future I may choose to separate
    the two, as a troublesome ATA is less expensive to replace than an all in
    one. This might come down to the number of power blocks you want hanging
    from your wall.

    Some ATA units can act as a NAT between your PC and your Router/modem.
    Useful if you've run out of ethernet sockets on your router, not so good if
    you play games online as the latency increases. These would be useful if
    you only had a USB modem.

    PSTN pass through. Decide if you need it.

    Incoming caller ID on PSTN. Some devices, my Zyxel for example, will not
    show the caller id for incoming PSTN calls.

    More than one SIP account. There are good reasons for having a device that
    can register with more than one provider at a time. You then have a fall
    back, should your provider be unable to route the call for whatever reason,
    without having to reconfigure. Having an FWD account can be handy. Also,
    the number of FXS sockets is not always proportional to the number of
    accounts that can be registered. If using only one phone on a device with
    more than one FXS socket, make sure the other SIP accounts can be configured
    to ring on that one port.

    Dial plans. Decide if you need a device that can handle dial plans.

    Some ATAs have additional functionality for traversing troublesome NATs,
    such as STUN server support.

    There are cheap chinese designed and made ATAs available on ebay now, such
    as those sold by pctradeshop. I got one of these for my sister, and touch
    wood, it's been fine so far. For £20, it might be worth a dip in the kitty
    to see if it satisfies your needs.

    Rgds

    Stuart

    Mr Flobby, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Nigel

    Mr Flobby Guest

    "Mr Flobby" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > fall back, should your provider be unable to route the call for whatever
    > reason, without having to reconfigure. Having an FWD account can be
    > handy. Also, the number of FXS sockets is not always proportional to the
    > number of accounts that can be registered. If using only one phone on a
    > device with more than one FXS socket, make sure the other SIP accounts can
    > be configured to ring on that one port.
    >
    > Dial plans. Decide if you need a device that can handle dial plans.
    >
    > Some ATAs have additional functionality for traversing troublesome NATs,
    > such as STUN server support.
    >
    > There are cheap chinese designed and made ATAs available on ebay now, such
    > as those sold by pctradeshop. I got one of these for my sister, and touch
    > wood, it's been fine so far. For £20, it might be worth a dip in the
    > kitty to see if it satisfies your needs.

    I just reread your post. If you only have a cable modem, it most likely has
    only one ethernet port, currently connected to your computer. in this case
    something like the Grandstream 486 will do what you want, and sit between
    your PC and your modem. Just remember your latency for games will increase.
    BTW, the cable from your computer to the modem is a crossover cable, so that
    cable would be used to connect the 486 to the modem. A normal patch cable
    would be used to connect the 486 to the PC.

    Mr Flobby, Feb 12, 2007
  6. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    Hi,

    thanks for your replies. Is this the one you got:-

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN...yZ131565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Is it better then this one:-

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-SIP-V...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    ( but in Hong Kong!)

    this one is in the uk.:-

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-Broad...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Do all of these have a firewall built in ??

    I look the sound of switcing between providers. How easy is it on your
    sisters??

    thanks

    Nigel

    Nigel, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Nigel

    Mr Flobby Guest

    "Nigel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > thanks for your replies. Is this the one you got:-
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN...yZ131565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Yes, thats the one I got. It only has one ethernet port, so it's no good
    for your modem only setup.

    > Is it better then this one:-
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-SIP-V...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > ( but in Hong Kong!)

    As far as I can remember, the PAP2 has 2 x FXS ports, and can register 2 x
    SIP accounts. However, I think each SIP account is linked to only one FXS
    port, so you'd need two phones. Maybe an owner of one can confirm. Again,
    I think this one is designed to plug straight into a router, and not between
    PC and modem. As for it being better, my guess would be that it's better
    made, common and therefore likely to be supported.

    > this one is in the uk.:-
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-Broad...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    That looks like 2 x Ethernet ports on this one, but I know nothing about it.

    > Do all of these have a firewall built in ??

    I doubt any of them have true firewalls, it's probably not cost effective to
    develop a fully fledged feature like that on an ATA since they generally sit
    behind routers. In any event, I don't use it. Since only one client is
    connecting to the device, it more than likely forwards all the ports to the
    client. I certainly haven't seen any packet filtering features or other
    traffic manipulation.

    > I look the sound of switcing between providers. How easy is it on your
    > sisters??

    On hers, it's a simple case of using your browser on the device and
    selecting an account, and a provider. You can therefore have multiple
    accounts for the same provider if you wanted. Only one combination of the
    two can be active at any one time though. I have the manual for it here if
    you want to have a read.

    Mr Flobby, Feb 12, 2007
  8. Nigel

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:16:51 -0000, "Mr Flobby" <>
    wrote:

    >"Nigel" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> thanks for your replies. Is this the one you got:-
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN...yZ131565QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    >Yes, thats the one I got. It only has one ethernet port, so it's no good
    >for your modem only setup.
    >

    >> Is it better then this one:-
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-SIP-V...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >>
    >> ( but in Hong Kong!)

    >As far as I can remember, the PAP2 has 2 x FXS ports, and can register 2 x
    >SIP accounts. However, I think each SIP account is linked to only one FXS
    >port, so you'd need two phones. Maybe an owner of one can confirm. Again,
    >I think this one is designed to plug straight into a router, and not between
    >PC and modem. As for it being better, my guess would be that it's better
    >made, common and therefore likely to be supported.

    If you decide on a PAP2 buy an unlocked one from a dealer. Whatever
    you do DO NOT buy one second hand - eg. from Ebay - they are often
    formerly locked Vonage boxes - they can esily become locked again.
    If you'd like to terminiate your calls to one set of handsets then
    you'd be better off with an SPA-1001 than a PAP2.
    The Grandstreams may be OK but, if you want PSTN support don't
    choose one of the cheaper makes - go insted for a Linksys/Sipura or a
    Fritzbox. Even thoug the Fritzbox has an inbuilt modem it will also
    work on cable with the loss of one of the ethernet ports.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 13, 2007
  9. Nigel

    Tim Guest

    Nigel wrote:
    > Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor??

    Any one
    > recommend any?? I am looking to spend about £75 on an adaptor and maybe a
    > 3100 on a combined.

    Are you on cable or ADSL?

    If you are on cable then Linksys WRTP54G does you your router, wireless
    and 2 voip phone ports. ProVoip are doing a deal on these at the moment
    for 80 pounds + VAT.

    http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=70

    Tim

    Tim, Feb 15, 2007