Best video card?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Joe, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hi,

    I'm getting a new system. It's a 2.8 Athlon XP with 1GB dual-channel RAM.
    It's for general use (applications) and gaming both. Since games seem to be
    the more demanding of the two, I'll go into more detail there.

    For the games, next generation versions of games like UO and Everquest are
    going to be one of the main things used for it. However, I want to it be
    fast as possible within budget in other games such as NeverWinter Nights
    expansions. Not really into things like Unreal Tourament but basically I
    want it to be play any game I might want for the next couple of years
    without any problems of any sort.

    So with that in mind, could you point which of the following choices would
    be best for me and why?
    1. nVidia GeForce FX 5600 with 256MB
    2. nVidia GeForce FX 5700 with 256 MB
    3. nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra with 128MB
    4. nVidia GeForce FX 5900 with 128MB
    5. ATI Radeon 9600 PRO with 256MB
    6. ATI Radeon 9800 SE with 128MB
    7. ATI Radeon 9600 XT with 128 MB

    Any other cards would be beyond my budget. I noticed I can get some cards
    with the higher model but less RAM like the one above but is that a good
    tradeoff?

    Also if, say, the GeForce 5700 doesn't really offer me anything extra than
    GeForce 5600, than I'd rather save the money and use it for something else.
    So which of these cards do you think is best for me to choose that will
    allow me to play almost any game for the next couple of years without
    problem? Thanks!
    Joe, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Joe

    Paul C Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    > So with that in mind, could you point which of the following choices would
    > be best for me and why?
    > 1. nVidia GeForce FX 5600 with 256MB
    > 2. nVidia GeForce FX 5700 with 256 MB
    > 3. nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra with 128MB
    > 4. nVidia GeForce FX 5900 with 128MB
    > 5. ATI Radeon 9600 PRO with 256MB
    > 6. ATI Radeon 9800 SE with 128MB
    > 7. ATI Radeon 9600 XT with 128 MB

    Joe, check out http://www.tomshardware.com/ they do some really good reviews
    of computer tech. I wouldn't bother with the 5600 or earlier series of
    Nvidia cards, look at the 5700 Ultra or if you can afford the price hike go
    for a 5900 series card as it will give you more future proofing.

    Paul
    Paul C, Dec 21, 2003