Best Version of Firefox for XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kele, Aug 11, 2011.

  1. Kele

    Kele Guest

    Kele, Aug 11, 2011

  2. Kele

    Paul Guest

    Kele wrote:
    > Is there a preferred version of Firefox for XP? The current version is
    > 5.0.1. I don't need a bloated with extras version. I need the version that
    > won't choke my relic PC. Help me pick one:
    > http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/history/

    There is no need for filehippo, when they're all here.

    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

    From the README on that page -

    "Older releases have known security vulnerablities, which are disclosed at

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Firefox

    Mozilla strongly recommends you do not use them, as you are at risk of
    your computer being compromised."

    My Windows 98SE virtual machine runs 2.0.0.20 .

    Maybe 3.0.19 would be another option (my Win2K virtual machine runs
    3.x stream Firefox).

    Before doing anything else, go to Bookmarks and do an
    "Export" to HTML. That way, you can keep all your bookmarks
    and import them later. Otherwise, your bookmarks could get lost
    while you're having fun trying out versions. As long as you have
    archived the "important bits" of your browser, you can install
    and uninstall as desired.

    Enjoy,
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 12, 2011

  3. Kele

    Kele Guest

    Thank you, Paul. I just went with the current version. Something funny...
    In IE, Google page has an ad "Get Chrome" and with Firefox no ad. Firefox
    grabbed all my Faves (bookmarks) from IE apparently. The Firefox bookmarks
    window is a little strange (different) to me. The page I needed it for
    works like a champ. I intend to keep both IE and Firefox as they don't seem
    to be conflicting.

    Kele, Aug 13, 2011
  4. Kele

    kelly Guest