    Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos are
    that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent performance on &
    not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions appreciated.

    Graham Saad, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Graham Saad

    Bill Guest

    I buy a vacuum based on the amperage (get highest - most power) and the
    cost of bags [filters].

    Some bags and filters for bagless vacuums can cost a fortune, so check the
    cost of these before buying...

    "Graham Saad" wrote in message
    > I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's a

    big
    > difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place which had
    > compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    >
    > Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a

    fantastic
    > cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet fluff!), but it
    > scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems like overkill given

    the

    &

    Bill, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Graham Saad

    Graham Saad Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I buy a vacuum based on the amperage (get highest - most power) and the
    > cost of bags [filters].
    >
    > Some bags and filters for bagless vacuums can cost a fortune, so check the
    > cost of these before buying...

    Some bags for bagless vacuums can cost a fortune? Lost me, buddy...

    Graham Saad, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Graham Saad

    Vox Humana Guest

    > I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's a big
    > difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place which had
    > compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    >
    > Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a

    fantastic
    > cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet fluff!), but it
    > scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems like overkill given

    the
    > task at hand. Accordingly, I'm planning on giving it to my mother (it'll
    > stop her from coming round to borrow it once a month) and downgrading to
    > something more suited to the task at hand.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos are
    > that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent performance on &
    > not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions appreciated.

    I gnereally just use a dust mop. I like the Swiffer Max, but they can be
    hard to find. I usually just put a microfiber cloth on the Swiffer Max mop
    head. I recently got a Swiffer Sweeper, actually a mop made by Dirt Devil
    that has been re-branded and is selling under the Swiffer name. It is
    cordless and sucks-up pet hair and larger particles and the Swiffer cloth
    gets the rest. You don't really need much of a vaccum for hard flooring.
    My recommendation would be to get a good dust mop. If you have a lot of
    debris, then a soft broom can be helpful. You can probably have the foor
    dusted in the time it takes to unwind the cord on the sweeper.

    Vox Humana, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Graham Saad

    dadiOH Guest

    Graham Saad wrote:
    > I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's
    > a big difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place
    > which had compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    >
    > Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a
    > fantastic cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet
    > fluff!), but it scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems
    > like overkill given the task at hand. Accordingly, I'm planning on
    > giving it to my mother (it'll stop her from coming round to borrow it
    > once a month) and downgrading to something more suited to the task at
    > hand.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos
    > are that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent
    > performance on & not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions
    > appreciated.

    Forget a vacuum...get a dust mop and a decent push broom. Dust pan too,
    natch.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Aug 31, 2005
  6. Graham Saad

    Old Gringo Guest

    Graham Saad wrote:
    > I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's a big
    > difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place which had
    > compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    >
    > Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a fantastic
    > cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet fluff!), but it
    > scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems like overkill given the
    > task at hand. Accordingly, I'm planning on giving it to my mother (it'll
    > stop her from coming round to borrow it once a month) and downgrading to
    > something more suited to the task at hand.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos are
    > that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent performance on &
    > not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions appreciated.

    Don't let advertising and price fool you, as a $59.00 Eureka will do
    exactly what a $500.00 Dyson does. Good Luck in your search.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Aug 31, 2005
  7. Graham Saad

    johnny o Guest

    > I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's a
    > big difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place
    > which had compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    >
    > Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a
    > fantastic cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet
    > fluff!), but it scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems
    > like overkill given the task at hand. Accordingly, I'm planning on
    > giving it to my mother (it'll stop her from coming round to borrow it
    > once a month) and downgrading to something more suited to the task at
    > hand.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos
    > are that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent
    > performance on & not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions
    > appreciated.

    Perfect one: Bissell serial #3102-0

    johnny o, Aug 31, 2005
  8. Graham Saad

    pcbutts1 Guest

    For any type of wood floors. Scratch free and bagless, It's been around for
    years. http://www.imagetextile.com/dustmops.html

    pcbutts1, Aug 31, 2005
  9. Graham Saad

    EXT Guest

    Re: Best vacuum without Dyson "claims"

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Graham Saad wrote:
    > > I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's a

    big
    > > difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place which had
    > > compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    > >
    > > Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a

    fantastic
    > > cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet fluff!), but it
    > > scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems like overkill given

    the
    > > task at hand. Accordingly, I'm planning on giving it to my mother (it'll
    > > stop her from coming round to borrow it once a month) and downgrading to
    > > something more suited to the task at hand.
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos

    are
    > > that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent performance on

    &
    > > not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions appreciated.
    > >

    > Don't let advertising and price fool you, as a $59.00 Eureka will do
    > exactly what a $500.00 Dyson does. Good Luck in your search.

    DYSON -- isn't that the one that uses 100,000 the force of gravity! That
    means that the centrifugal force will make one gram of dirt weigh the
    equivalent of 100,000 times heavier or 100 kilograms or 220 pounds -- an
    excellent example of gross exaggeration in advertising. If I cannot believe
    this statement what makes them think that I will believe an other statements
    they make.

    EXT, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Graham Saad

    Old Gringo Guest

    EXT wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Graham Saad wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've recently moved house into a place with hard timber floors. It's a

    > big
    >
    >>>difference from my previous sprawling shag-pile covered place which had
    >>>compelled me to splash out on a new Dyson.
    >>>
    >>>Problem is, in the new environment, I just don't need it. It was a

    > fantastic
    >
    >>>cleaner and picks up so much dirt and dust (and carpet fluff!), but it
    >>>scuffs my new floors when I'm not careful and seems like overkill given

    > the
    >
    >>>task at hand. Accordingly, I'm planning on giving it to my mother (it'll
    >>>stop her from coming round to borrow it once a month) and downgrading to
    >>>something more suited to the task at hand.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos

    > are
    >
    >>>that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent performance on

    > &
    >
    >>>not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions appreciated.
    >>>

    >>Don't let advertising and price fool you, as a $59.00 Eureka will do
    >>exactly what a $500.00 Dyson does. Good Luck in your search.

    > DYSON -- isn't that the one that uses 100,000 the force of gravity! That
    > means that the centrifugal force will make one gram of dirt weigh the
    > equivalent of 100,000 times heavier or 100 kilograms or 220 pounds -- an
    > excellent example of gross exaggeration in advertising. If I cannot believe
    > this statement what makes them think that I will believe an other statements
    > they make.

    :) You got it.

    Old Gringo, Aug 31, 2005
  11. Graham Saad

    AD Guest

    The vacuum cleaner used by most of the top housekeepers in top hotels are
    either Kaarcher or Numatic.
    Henry is a great one.... but has a bag!
    Fo reliability, performance nd price... that's the one I use

    AD, Aug 31, 2005
  12. Graham Saad

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Graham Saad wrote:
    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> I buy a vacuum based on the amperage (get highest - most power) and
    >> the cost of bags [filters].
    >>
    >> Some bags and filters for bagless vacuums can cost a fortune, so
    >> check the cost of these before buying...

    > Some bags for bagless vacuums can cost a fortune? Lost me, buddy...

    Two statements: Some bags can cost a fortune. Some filters for bagless
    vacuums can cost a fortune. Combined, that reads "Some bags and filters for
    bagless vacuums can cost a fortune." Okay, so maybe a comma would have
    helped <g>

    <snip>

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 1, 2005
  13. Re: Best vacuum without Dyson "claims"

    On 08/31/05 11:47 am EXT tossed the following ingredients into the
    ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    <snip>

    >>Don't let advertising and price fool you, as a $59.00 Eureka will do
    >>exactly what a $500.00 Dyson does. Good Luck in your search.

    > DYSON -- isn't that the one that uses 100,000 the force of gravity! That
    > means that the centrifugal force will make one gram of dirt weigh the
    > equivalent of 100,000 times heavier or 100 kilograms or 220 pounds -- an
    > excellent example of gross exaggeration in advertising. If I cannot believe
    > this statement what makes them think that I will believe an other statements
    > they make.

    I'm not seeing any such claim on their Web site.

    Dyson's technology was good enough that, after dissing it, Hoover copied
    it and lost a patent infringement suit. I was in UK the day the
    newspapers reported the court's decision.

    We love our DC07.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Sep 1, 2005
  14. Graham Saad

    Guest

    Graham Saad wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range vacuum cleaner? Only provisos are
    > that it should be bagless (I'm a convert) and have decent performance on &
    > not scuff, hard timber floors. All suggestions appreciated.

    Here's a useful answer for you Graham.

    I use the Sanyo bagless model. It retails for about $240. I had the
    first model when it first came out 3 years ago. It worked till today. I
    only bought the recent Sanyo model because the old one was looking a
    bit beat. I used it to vaccumm the attic and pull out almost 1/2 cubic
    metres of dust.

    I actually live in a Queenslander with hardwood polished floor, and it
    works fine. The thing with polished floor - you don't need that much
    suction. I think the Sanyo is about 1200W? It's more than enough.

    I did look at Dyson, and unlike you, I did not buy it. For timber
    floors, you just cannot justify the extra $300-400. The Hepa filter is
    only useful for carpet floors where dust & asthma & allergies might be
    an issue.

    , Sep 1, 2005
  15. Re: Best vacuum without Dyson "claims"

    On , "Percival P. Cassidy" <> wrote:

    >On 08/31/05 11:47 am EXT tossed the following ingredients into the
    >ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>>Don't let advertising and price fool you, as a $59.00 Eureka will do
    >>>exactly what a $500.00 Dyson does. Good Luck in your search.

    >> DYSON -- isn't that the one that uses 100,000 the force of gravity! That
    >> means that the centrifugal force will make one gram of dirt weigh the
    >> equivalent of 100,000 times heavier or 100 kilograms or 220 pounds -- an
    >> excellent example of gross exaggeration in advertising. If I cannot believe
    >> this statement what makes them think that I will believe an other statements
    >> they make.

    >I'm not seeing any such claim on their Web site.
    >
    >Dyson's technology was good enough that, after dissing it, Hoover copied
    >it and lost a patent infringement suit. I was in UK the day the
    >newspapers reported the court's decision.
    >
    >We love our DC07.

    We love ours.

    As for the original poster worried about scratching floors..... you can
    turn off the brushes. That's what I do on our wooden floors.

    --
    steve.hat.stephencarter.not.com.but.net
    Nothing is Beatle Proof!!

    Stephen X. Carter, Sep 1, 2005
  16. Graham Saad

    Rick F. Guest

    Re: Best vacuum without Dyson "claims"

    >>> DYSON -- isn't that the one that uses 100,000 the force of gravity! That
    >>> means that the centrifugal force will make one gram of dirt weigh the
    >>> equivalent of 100,000 times heavier or 100 kilograms or 220 pounds -- an
    >>> excellent example of gross exaggeration in advertising. If I cannot believe
    >>> this statement what makes them think that I will believe an other statements
    >>> they make.

    >>I'm not seeing any such claim on their Web site.

    The Dyson's do make that claim on the TV commercial if I recall (haven't seen one
    in a while).. However, I throw the Dyson's under the gimmick heading like some of
    the other vacuums of the past.. I got tired of buying new vac's about every 2-3
    years due to them wearing out (cords fraying and falling out, plastic parts breaking,etc)
    and finally forked out a fair amount of $$ for my Miele Red Star vacuum.. I've
    had it for >5 years now and it works like the day it arrived in the mail.. It's by
    far the best vacuum I've ever owned and I'm sure will have many more years of great
    service.. I really like the HEPA filter that doesn't spew crap all over the house
    like so many (almost all) of the cheapie vacuums always do (hoover, dirt devil, eureka,etc)

    Just my $0.02 worth..

    Rick F., Sep 1, 2005
  17. Graham Saad

    Graham Saad Guest

    Are you talking about the sc-x1000 as seen here:

    http://www.sanyo.com.au/hiresimg/Consumer/SCX1000.jpg

    If so, it's one I've got short-listed. I'm interested in hearing how it
    performs and whether or not you need to replace the filter, or just wash it.

    Graham Saad, Sep 1, 2005
  18. Graham Saad

    Graham Saad Guest

    Re: Best vacuum without Dyson "claims"

    Best vacuum I've ever owned by the length of the straight, at least so far
    as carpet was concerned. However, the wheels scuff up the timber floors
    quite badly.

    Graham Saad, Sep 1, 2005
  19. Graham Saad

    Trax Guest

    "Graham Saad" <> wrote:

    |>Best vacuum I've ever owned by the length of the straight, at least so far
    |>as carpet was concerned. However, the wheels scuff up the timber floors
    |>quite badly.

    Duct tape the wheels....

    --
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

    Trax, Sep 1, 2005
  20. Re: Best vacuum without Dyson "claims"

    On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:12:42 +1000, "Graham Saad" <>
    wrote:

    >Best vacuum I've ever owned by the length of the straight, at least so far
    >as carpet was concerned. However, the wheels scuff up the timber floors
    >quite badly.

    Odd. Mine does not.

    Write to the man and tell him. He likes comments like that....

    Stephen X. Carter, Sep 1, 2005