Best USB 2.0 reader for IBM microdrives with FULL support

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by istman, May 27, 2004.

  1. istman

    istman Guest

    I have seen many ads from vendors and have read many statements the
    the NGs regarding memory readers with microdrive support. Sandisk
    states they do not support the microdrive. Lexar's web site states,
    in one place, that their Multi-card supports the microdrive. But
    neither the package nor the retailer ads show support for the
    microdrive. I contacted Lexar directly and at first the tech person
    only stated their multi-card reader supported CF II media and
    therefore the microdrive. Once I informed him that the microdrive was
    not CF media he had to ask upper level support. One main reason I am
    hesitant to purchase a reader is because of the power requirements of
    the microdrive; which is the reason Sandisk does not support it. I
    need suggestions on a good multi-card USB 2.0 reader that will fully
    support the microdrive as well as other media. One plus will be if
    the reader's ports are all active, meaning each can be accessed
    simutaneously. I purchased Lexar's Multi-card reader locally from
    CompUSA but will not open it due to their 15% restocking fee until I
    am convinced. The only other local options I have found are the ZIO
    Dazzle 10-in-1, a CompUSA brand 8-in-1, and Microtech 8-in-1. I am
    not opposed to ordering over the internet.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jason
    istman, May 27, 2004

  2. Full support? Well...I can read and write from MD....but to see if my
    Kingston 6in1 USB2 reader gives the MD full support I would have to read the
    specifications for the MD...and I am not going to do it! You are making life
    hard on yourself. Most of us expect that CFII support means that IBM-MD
    support is also there. If you assume the same...you should do OK. If you
    want to worry about power requirements....fine....I prefer to take photos
    and worry only when things don't work.

    Gene Palmiter, May 27, 2004

  3. istman

    Don Guest

    "istman" <> wrote in message
    > I have seen many ads from vendors and have read many statements the
    > the NGs regarding memory readers with microdrive support. Sandisk
    > states they do not support the microdrive. Lexar's web site states,
    > in one place, that their Multi-card supports the microdrive. But
    > neither the package nor the retailer ads show support for the
    > microdrive. I contacted Lexar directly and at first the tech person
    > only stated their multi-card reader supported CF II media and
    > therefore the microdrive. Once I informed him that the microdrive was
    > not CF media he had to ask upper level support.

    Actually, the Microdrive is a CF medium. It meets all of the specs for a CF
    Type II. While it is true that it's not a flash card, there is no
    requirement for a CF card to be a flash card. I've used mine in an old ZIO
    USB 1.1 CF-only reader for years, and that reader was designed and sold
    before the Microdrive was made.

    >One main reason I am
    > hesitant to purchase a reader is because of the power requirements of
    > the microdrive; which is the reason Sandisk does not support it. I
    > need suggestions on a good multi-card USB 2.0 reader that will fully
    > support the microdrive as well as other media. One plus will be if
    > the reader's ports are all active, meaning each can be accessed
    > simutaneously. I purchased Lexar's Multi-card reader locally from
    > CompUSA but will not open it due to their 15% restocking fee until I
    > am convinced. The only other local options I have found are the ZIO
    > Dazzle 10-in-1, a CompUSA brand 8-in-1, and Microtech 8-in-1. I am
    > not opposed to ordering over the internet.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank you,
    > Jason

    The Microdrive is compliant with the CF power spec. I use my 1 GB
    interchangeably with a SanDisk 1 GB flash card, and see no difference in
    battery life. They both seem to get equally warm when doing sustained
    writes in the reader. Since all of the readers I know of are powered
    throough the USB port, I don't see why the reader would care anyway.

    Any reader that is CF Type II capable should be OK. The only compatability
    problems I've ever heard of were some very early cameras, which turned out
    not to be fully CF compliant (timing, I think). These cameras would also
    not work with some brands of flash cards.

    Don
    Don, May 27, 2004
  4. istman

    TCS Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:20:37 -0700, Don <> wrote:
    >"istman" <> wrote in message
    >> I have seen many ads from vendors and have read many statements the
    >> the NGs regarding memory readers with microdrive support. Sandisk
    >> states they do not support the microdrive. Lexar's web site states,
    >> in one place, that their Multi-card supports the microdrive. But
    >> neither the package nor the retailer ads show support for the
    >> microdrive. I contacted Lexar directly and at first the tech person
    >> only stated their multi-card reader supported CF II media and
    >> therefore the microdrive. Once I informed him that the microdrive was
    >> not CF media he had to ask upper level support.

    >Actually, the Microdrive is a CF medium. It meets all of the specs for a CF
    >Type II. While it is true that it's not a flash card, there is no

    Actually, CF is just PCMCIA with a smaller connector. CF flash cards aren't
    just a flash card and connector; they have an IDE controller and simulate
    an IDE diskdrive. Flash memory wear leveling is done on the card, not by a
    software driver.
    TCS, May 27, 2004
  5. I hated the SIIG company until I got their USB 2.0 for my 1GB IBM
    Microdrive.

    Years and years ago I tried SIIG for ISA cards (years ago!) and none of them
    worked for me, even with their tech support (well, at least they had tech
    support).

    But this reader rocks and was dirt cheap.
    this old user, May 27, 2004
  6. istman

    istman Guest

    Perhaps I am worrying too much. But, I am coming off of medium format
    which has been very reliable. I'd hate it if a card reader had the
    potential to detroy or corrupt data. I prefer to take photos too but
    I also prefer to worry now and "prevent" things from not working. It
    will make it easier to shoot weddings and have piece of mind in the
    media.

    Thanks for the input...
    Jason

    istman, May 27, 2004
  7. istman

    Mark B. Guest

    "istman" <> wrote in message
    > I have seen many ads from vendors and have read many statements the
    > the NGs regarding memory readers with microdrive support. Sandisk
    > states they do not support the microdrive. Lexar's web site states,
    > in one place, that their Multi-card supports the microdrive. But
    > neither the package nor the retailer ads show support for the
    > microdrive. I contacted Lexar directly and at first the tech person
    > only stated their multi-card reader supported CF II media and
    > therefore the microdrive. Once I informed him that the microdrive was
    > not CF media he had to ask upper level support. One main reason I am
    > hesitant to purchase a reader is because of the power requirements of
    > the microdrive; which is the reason Sandisk does not support it. I
    > need suggestions on a good multi-card USB 2.0 reader that will fully
    > support the microdrive as well as other media. One plus will be if
    > the reader's ports are all active, meaning each can be accessed
    > simutaneously. I purchased Lexar's Multi-card reader locally from
    > CompUSA but will not open it due to their 15% restocking fee until I
    > am convinced. The only other local options I have found are the ZIO
    > Dazzle 10-in-1, a CompUSA brand 8-in-1, and Microtech 8-in-1. I am
    > not opposed to ordering over the internet.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank you,
    > Jason

    I have a Sandisk SDDR-91 (USB 2.0) that can read & write CF type I and II;
    I've used it with no problems with a 1GB IBM MicroDrive as well as several
    brands of 512MB type I cards.

    Mark
    Mark B., May 28, 2004
  8. (istman) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have seen many ads from vendors and have read many statements the
    > the NGs regarding memory readers with microdrive support. Sandisk
    > states they do not support the microdrive. Lexar's web site states,
    > in one place, that their Multi-card supports the microdrive. But
    > neither the package nor the retailer ads show support for the
    > microdrive. I contacted Lexar directly and at first the tech person
    > only stated their multi-card reader supported CF II media and
    > therefore the microdrive. Once I informed him that the microdrive was
    > not CF media he had to ask upper level support. One main reason I am
    > hesitant to purchase a reader is because of the power requirements of
    > the microdrive; which is the reason Sandisk does not support it. I
    > need suggestions on a good multi-card USB 2.0 reader that will fully
    > support the microdrive as well as other media. One plus will be if
    > the reader's ports are all active, meaning each can be accessed
    > simutaneously. I purchased Lexar's Multi-card reader locally from
    > CompUSA but will not open it due to their 15% restocking fee until I
    > am convinced. The only other local options I have found are the ZIO
    > Dazzle 10-in-1, a CompUSA brand 8-in-1, and Microtech 8-in-1. I am
    > not opposed to ordering over the internet.

    Why not try a portable card reader like an XDrive2 ($90 sans hard
    drive)? It is a little pricier solution, but it works as a USB2 media
    reader (all media variants including MDs), an external USB2 hard
    drive, and it is portable image storage.
    Georgette Preddy, May 28, 2004
  9. istman

    istman Guest

    Yup... I think that's the answer. Take the pictures and download them
    ASAP, at the shoot, to a portable storage device. That way I have two
    copies. I purchased the ZIO Dazzle 10-in-1 for the home PC and will
    also get a portable storage device. I may also invest in flash memory
    as well. I got my MDs at a steal from another photographer who had
    been using them for a couple of months. He read one disaster story in
    an NG and decided to go the flash route.

    Thanks to all for the input.
    Jason

    istman, May 28, 2004
  10. istman

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 27 May 2004 20:45:16 -0700, (Georgette
    Preddy) wrote:

    >Why not try a portable card reader like an XDrive2 ($90 sans hard
    >drive)? It is a little pricier solution, but it works as a USB2 media
    >reader (all media variants including MDs), an external USB2 hard
    >drive, and it is portable image storage.

    The Xdrive is a "Fast USB 2.0" device, and as such will not support
    full USB 2.0 speeds.
    http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/specs.htm

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, May 28, 2004
  11. Bill Funk wrote:
    > The Xdrive is a "Fast USB 2.0" device, and as such will not support
    > full USB 2.0 speeds.
    > http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/specs.htm

    Doesn't "Download Speed Up to 480Mbps" imply Hi-Speed USB 2.0?

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, May 28, 2004
  12. istman

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:29:37 -0700, Dave Herzstein
    <> wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >> The Xdrive is a "Fast USB 2.0" device, and as such will not support
    >> full USB 2.0 speeds.
    >> http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2/specs.htm

    >Doesn't "Download Speed Up to 480Mbps" imply Hi-Speed USB 2.0?
    >
    >-Dave

    Yes it does, for the USB 2.0 interface itself.
    But not for the device.

    This is one of the nasty little secrets device makers have; they can
    honestly say thay have a 2.0 interface, and the *interface* has the
    2.0 speed. But the device itself can't supply data to the inteface
    that fast.
    It's thus a difference between a *fast* and a *high speed* USB 2.0
    device.

    To confuse things even further, some makers will simply say *full
    speed USB* which means USB 1.1 (which some other makers simply call
    USB, and let the user try to make sense of it).

    It's a real mess sometimes.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, May 29, 2004
  13. (istman) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have seen many ads from vendors and have read many statements the
    > the NGs regarding memory readers with microdrive support. Sandisk
    > states they do not support the microdrive. Lexar's web site states,
    > in one place, that their Multi-card supports the microdrive. But
    > neither the package nor the retailer ads show support for the
    > microdrive. I contacted Lexar directly and at first the tech person
    > only stated their multi-card reader supported CF II media and
    > therefore the microdrive. Once I informed him that the microdrive was
    > not CF media he had to ask upper level support. One main reason I am
    > hesitant to purchase a reader is because of the power requirements of
    > the microdrive; which is the reason Sandisk does not support it. I
    > need suggestions on a good multi-card USB 2.0 reader that will fully
    > support the microdrive as well as other media. One plus will be if
    > the reader's ports are all active, meaning each can be accessed
    > simutaneously. I purchased Lexar's Multi-card reader locally from
    > CompUSA but will not open it due to their 15% restocking fee until I
    > am convinced. The only other local options I have found are the ZIO
    > Dazzle 10-in-1, a CompUSA brand 8-in-1, and Microtech 8-in-1. I am
    > not opposed to ordering over the internet.

    Look at the XDrive2 Pro as well, it's a USB2 MD compatible card read,
    field storage, and external hard drive.
    Georgette Preddy, May 30, 2004