Best universal remote?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by eganders@yahoo.com, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?

    There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on,
    switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all
    functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set
    schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so
    on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in
    finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the
    buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car.
    Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote
    would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.

    My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select
    each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be
    setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to
    be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that
    downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be
    more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you
    would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think
    doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a
    computer also.

    Is there any remote out there that does this that does not cost as much
    as a TV itself?

    I have seen products by a company called Universal Remote Control that
    are interesting. The MX-350 Osiris has some nice features and can
    control things by RF. The price at around $130 (street) and its
    associated MRF-250 RF receiver (about $60 street) are reasonable. My
    son just got this unit with his home theater. I am going to check it
    out, but I thought I would see what you-all thought.

    , Jan 21, 2006

  2. Bob Guest

    On 21 Jan 2006 09:47:59 -0800, wrote:

    >What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?

    http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC 8910

    Premium Learning Line - URC 8910

    Take TOTAL control... SKIP through commercials at the press of a
    button with this universal LEARNING remote control and its UPGRADEABLE
    technology. Consolidates up to 8 devices at one time - TV, VCR, DVD,
    Cable, Satellite, CD, Receiver or Amplifier, plus an Auxillary device.
    Features an LCD Display with Real-Time Clock. Full LEARNING capability
    allows this remote to learn codes from your existing remotes. Macro
    functions allow users to define commands to their preference. A Home
    Theater Configure key powers all devices on/off simultaneously.

    About $20 at amazon and $30 at Best Buy.

    Call tech support and they will upgrade the unit over the phone.

    --

    "For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
    serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

    Bob, Jan 21, 2006

  3. Tonester Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?
    >
    > There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on,
    > switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all
    > functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set
    > schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so
    > on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in
    > finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the
    > buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car.
    > Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote
    > would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.
    >
    > My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select
    > each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be
    > setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to
    > be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that
    > downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be
    > more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you
    > would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think
    > doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a
    > computer also.

    Any of the Harmony remotes work just like you suggest, execpt they don't
    have a 'touchcreen' which is a good thing. Touchscreens are a pain. People
    think they want that until they actually get it then you realize it takes 2
    hands to operate it and you have to constantly look at it. Tactile buttons
    are the way to go.

    But anyway, look into the Harmonys. I have the 880 which is less than $200
    if you shop around, and it's worth every penny.

    Tonester, Jan 21, 2006
  4. TSKO Guest

    "Tonester" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?
    >>
    >> There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on,
    >> switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all
    >> functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set
    >> schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so
    >> on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in
    >> finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the
    >> buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car.
    >> Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote
    >> would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.
    >>
    >> My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select
    >> each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be
    >> setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to
    >> be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that
    >> downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be
    >> more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you
    >> would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think
    >> doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a
    >> computer also.

    > Any of the Harmony remotes work just like you suggest, execpt they don't
    > have a 'touchcreen' which is a good thing. Touchscreens are a pain. People
    > think they want that until they actually get it then you realize it takes
    > 2 hands to operate it and you have to constantly look at it. Tactile
    > buttons are the way to go.
    >
    > But anyway, look into the Harmonys. I have the 880 which is less than $200
    > if you shop around, and it's worth every penny.

    I just bought a Philips Pronto, that has your touchscreen. I got it at
    Buy.com for about $180, and that included the docking port. Its a bit
    daunting at first to get it up and running, but once you do...it works
    great. It holds up to 15 devices (I think). I have no probs with the
    touchscreen (there are also hard buttons that can be utilized). Overall,
    thumbs up.

    TSKO, Jan 21, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?
    >
    > There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on,
    > switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all
    > functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set
    > schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so
    > on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in
    > finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the
    > buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car.
    > Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote
    > would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.
    >
    > My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select
    > each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be
    > setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to
    > be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that
    > downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be
    > more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you
    > would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think
    > doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a
    > computer also.
    >
    > Is there any remote out there that does this that does not cost as much
    > as a TV itself?
    >
    > I have seen products by a company called Universal Remote Control that
    > are interesting. The MX-350 Osiris has some nice features and can
    > control things by RF. The price at around $130 (street) and its
    > associated MRF-250 RF receiver (about $60 street) are reasonable. My
    > son just got this unit with his home theater. I am going to check it
    > out, but I thought I would see what you-all thought.

    If you already have a PDA (ideally one with commercial grade IR), then
    there's some really good options. I personally have used
    http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html; it's easy to program and can mimic
    any function your current remote(s) can do.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 21, 2006
  6. fredman Guest

    On 21 Jan 2006 09:47:59 -0800, wrote:

    >What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?
    >
    >There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on,
    >switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all
    >functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set
    >schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so
    >on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in
    >finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the
    >buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car.
    >Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote
    >would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.
    >
    >My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select
    >each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be
    >setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to
    >be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that
    >downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be
    >more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you
    >would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think
    >doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a
    >computer also.
    >
    >Is there any remote out there that does this that does not cost as much
    >as a TV itself?
    >
    >I have seen products by a company called Universal Remote Control that
    >are interesting. The MX-350 Osiris has some nice features and can
    >control things by RF. The price at around $130 (street) and its
    >associated MRF-250 RF receiver (about $60 street) are reasonable. My
    >son just got this unit with his home theater. I am going to check it
    >out, but I thought I would see what you-all thought.

    You actually sound too lazy and stupid to handle a remote, but here
    goes:

    I use a S

    fredman, Jan 22, 2006
  7. fredman Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:42:06 -0800, fredman
    <> wrote:

    >On 21 Jan 2006 09:47:59 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>What is the best universal remote out there at a reasonable price?
    >>
    >>There are many universal remotes out there, but outside of turning on,
    >>switching channels, playing & recording, most don't seem to control all
    >>functions so you still have to keep the original remote to set
    >>schedules for the VCR or the contrast, brightness, etc for TV's and so
    >>on. Even if some of these are controllable by the remote, good luck in
    >>finding where they are or remembering what button to push. If all the
    >>buttons were on the remote, it would be the size of the family car.
    >>Using the original remote to program the codes in the univeral remote
    >>would be long and tedious to get all the functions from the old remote.
    >>
    >>My idea of a perfect remote would be one that would allow you to select
    >>each device by a single button and have a touch screen that would be
    >>setup to emulate all the device's functions. It would probably have to
    >>be set up using a code like most do today, but I would think that
    >>downloading the functions from the internet or an included CD would be
    >>more practical since loading and maintaining all the functions you
    >>would need would be very hard in the remote itself. I would think
    >>doing the setup and generating the macros would best be done on a
    >>computer also.
    >>
    >>Is there any remote out there that does this that does not cost as much
    >>as a TV itself?

    >You actually sound too lazy and stupid to handle a remote, but here
    >goes:

    Let me try that again without the unedited snide comments...

    Something very close to what you want is the Sony AV-3xxx series that
    do featue an LCD screen and does work much like you say but with
    caveats...

    First off, it does do the 2 main things that all good universals must
    do; have a database of codes harboring common control setups for as
    many brands/devices as it can hold, and also contains a learning
    feature to program almost any button in any mode from any
    (non-infrared) device. This insures that you can program your TV's
    main controls easily but still program uncommon controls that you find
    useful. The LCD is large and pretty thorough, but where Sony fell
    down on this one is that they included the transport controls on the
    LCD pad instead of dedicated hard buttons like vol up/down, etc. as
    the LCD buttons are generally more difficult to read/press as the
    regular buttons are for such a set of commonly used buttons. Other
    than that each LCD screen features a bottom row of 4 programmable
    buttons that you can also re-label (8 characters) as well as the other
    'hard' buttons on the screen having 3 'pages' of std labels to fit.
    Now that bad news is that my (older) model, AV-3000 had to be manually
    programed, but I believe the lastest (AV-3100?) may be down-loadable
    via PC/USB. I'm used to this control and, get this, this is the ONLY
    remote on my coffee table, but IMO I'd still try to find and LCD model
    that moves the transport controls onto dedicated buttons (along with
    the circular menu buttons and of course vol. up/down and channell
    up/down, etc), but with its many LCD functions (whose exhaustive
    programmable options will probably not be found elsewhere) this one
    comes very close. Good luck.

    fredman, Jan 23, 2006