    your heads.

    --
    N.

    Gardener, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Gardener

    dooey Guest

    "Gardener" <gardener(@)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:MLDyc.87195$...
    > Hello Snappers,
    >
    > I've recently become a fan of this digital photography, but I would like

    > look at my pictures in my own leisure in front of the TV with a glass of
    > whisky... not on the confounded computer screen. Therefore, I ask "Where

    is
    > the cheapest place to get my digital photos 'developed'"?
    >
    > I live in the UK, so that should narrow down the options. I guess that you
    > fellows have all the experience in this area and I am keen to get inside
    > your heads.
    >
    > --
    > N.

    Asda 15p
    Boots £5 for 50.

    Both Frontier prints 6x4. Asda also do larger prints for a reasonable price
    per print.

    --
    Dooey.

    dooey, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Gardener

    Toni Guest

    > I would like to
    >look at my pictures in my own leisure in front of the TV with a glass of
    >whisky... not on the confounded computer screen

    How about looking at your pictures ON the tv. There are lots for cheap or free
    programs to make slideshows.

    2-Ton Toni

    Toni, Jun 12, 2004
  4. [Gardener wrote in rec.photo.digital]
    > I've recently become a fan of this digital photography, but I would like to
    > look at my pictures in my own leisure in front of the TV with a glass of
    > whisky... not on the confounded computer screen. Therefore, I ask "Where is
    > the cheapest place to get my digital photos 'developed'"?
    > I live in the UK, so that should narrow down the options. I guess that you
    > fellows have all the experience in this area and I am keen to get inside
    > your heads.

    Hi, Gardener --

    I run an internet based printing service in the UK which should suit your
    needs, available at http://www.fotoserve.com/

    We offer same-day printing before 3pm, so that your prints are delivered
    promptly, and use experienced and keen imaging experts in our lab (there's
    no point buying a good camera, practicing your hobby for years, and then
    enlisting a disinterested 16 year old trainee to print your pictures in
    the corner of a grubby chemist!).

    6x4s are 19p - unlike most printing sites in the UK, there is no need to
    buy twenty or forty images before the cost-per-print comes down. We don't
    think that such a scaled pricing scheme, (with high starting prices) is
    fair to most amateur photographers. Postage is also billed at a flat
    1.50ukp per all orders, so that we can sell printing with no hidden costs.

    [dooey wrote in rec.photo.digital]
    > Asda 15p
    > Boots ?5 for 50.
    > Both Frontier prints 6x4. Asda also do larger prints for a reasonable price
    > per print.

    Speaking from personal experience, I don't like Frontier printers - I don't
    think prints from a Frontier are as sharp as from a d.lab (the system we use)
    and most of the prints I have had from Frontier outlets have been too 'cold'
    for my preferences.

    When we picked a printer for fotoserve.com we dismissed the Frontier for
    those reasons, and picked an Agfa D.Lab. This also allows us to print
    400dpi images at 400dpi - something the Frontiers we evaluated simply couldn't
    do. Since much of the work we have done to date has been for the studio
    and wedding markets, this has proven to be a fundamental reason that
    photographers have turned to Fotoserve.com for their printing needs - we
    offer the sharpness and quality that others cannot.

    If you have any questions these can be addressed to info<at>fotoserve.com
    (more people have access to this mailbox, so replies tend to be faster.)

    --
    Regards, Andy Davidson
    http://www.fotoserve.com/ - Better quality printing for your digital photos.

    Andy Davidson, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Gardener

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:43:55 +0100, Gardener
    <gardener(@)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hello Snappers,
    >
    >I've recently become a fan of this digital photography, but I would like to
    >look at my pictures in my own leisure in front of the TV with a glass of
    >whisky... not on the confounded computer screen. Therefore, I ask "Where is
    >the cheapest place to get my digital photos 'developed'"?
    >
    >I live in the UK, so that should narrow down the options. I guess that you
    >fellows have all the experience in this area and I am keen to get inside
    >your heads.

    If you have a DVD player with your TV that has 'picture CD' or 'jpg'
    compatibility, then burn the photos onto a CD and play the resulting
    CD on the TV's DVD Player.

    Pour two doubles & I will be right over.

    :)

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Gardener

    dooey Guest

    "Andy Davidson" <$andy$@nosignal.org> wrote in message

    > Speaking from personal experience, I don't like Frontier printers - I

    don't
    > think prints from a Frontier are as sharp as from a d.lab (the system we

    use)
    > and most of the prints I have had from Frontier outlets have been too

    'cold'
    > for my preferences.

    I agree with your points - pretending to ignore the obvious adverts;-)

    Trouble is that the D.lab's film scanning is inferior to the Frontier. For
    your purposes it doesn't matter, for labs where 80% of the work is still
    film this is a serious consideration.

    --
    Dooey.

    dooey, Jun 12, 2004
  7. [dooey wrote in rec.photo.digital]
    > Trouble is that the D.lab's film scanning is inferior to the Frontier.

    That's what Fuji kept trying to tell us...

    > For your purposes it doesn't matter, for labs where 80% of the work is
    > still film this is a serious consideration.

    That's what we kept telling them. :)

    There are other trade offs that make the d.Lab film performance very reasonable
    - TFS (which dates back to the MSCs at least) is a superb technology, and the
    quality of the Agfa Prestige paper is high.

    I don't know which printing technology we would offer if we started negative
    printing on large scale, because we have not yet evaluated it, but I wouldn't
    dismiss the d.lab, not only because I now know it quite well, but because I
    honestly have a lot of faith in the printer as a piece of quality kit.

    Andy Davidson, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Gardener

    Zorg Guest

    "dooey" <> wrote in message

    > "Gardener" <gardener(@)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hello Snappers,
    > >
    > > I've recently become a fan of this digital photography, but I would like

    > > look at my pictures in my own leisure in front of the TV with a glass of
    > > whisky... not on the confounded computer screen. Therefore, I ask "Where

    > is
    > > the cheapest place to get my digital photos 'developed'"?
    > >
    > > I live in the UK, so that should narrow down the options. I guess that

    you
    > > fellows have all the experience in this area and I am keen to get inside
    > > your heads.
    > >
    > > --
    > > N.

    > Asda 15p
    > Boots £5 for 50.
    >
    > Both Frontier prints 6x4. Asda also do larger prints for a reasonable

    price per print.

    Yes, Asda are currently offering nine by six prints for 29p

    Zorg, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Gardener

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > I live in the UK, so that should narrow down the options. I guess that you
    > fellows have all the experience in this area and I am keen to get inside
    > your heads.

    I have used Jessops with some success - their prices are reasonable and the
    quality seems good.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jun 12, 2004
  10. Gardener

    Graeme Guest

    > Hello Snappers,
    >
    > I've recently become a fan of this digital photography, but I would like

    > look at my pictures in my own leisure in front of the TV with a glass of
    > whisky... not on the confounded computer screen. Therefore, I ask "Where

    is
    > the cheapest place to get my digital photos 'developed'"?
    >
    > I live in the UK, so that should narrow down the options. I guess that you
    > fellows have all the experience in this area and I am keen to get inside
    > your heads.

    Bonusprint 14p.

    Graeme, Jun 12, 2004
  11. Gardener

    Cliff Waters Guest

    CostCo 10p+VAT=11p

    Cliff Waters, Jun 13, 2004
  12. Gardener

    Guest

    Tesco. £5 for 50 6x4. Had a few done (200-ish) and they're good. One
    needs to be wary of the crop factor, as the camera format isn't 6x4
    and you'll lose a bit of the top and bottom of the picture.

    MJ

    , Jun 15, 2004
  13. Gardener

    Graeme Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Tesco. £5 for 50 6x4. Had a few done (200-ish) and they're good. One
    > needs to be wary of the crop factor, as the camera format isn't 6x4
    > and you'll lose a bit of the top and bottom of the picture.
    >
    > MJ

    Is that an online service (I couldn't find it on their site)?
    BonusPrint (and I'm not extoling their virtues) allow you to move the crop
    lines for each picture when doing a format that is not exactly the same as
    the digital ouput.

    Graeme, Jun 15, 2004
  14. Gardener

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:24:55 +0100, "Graeme"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Tesco. £5 for 50 6x4. Had a few done (200-ish) and they're good. One
    >> needs to be wary of the crop factor, as the camera format isn't 6x4
    >> and you'll lose a bit of the top and bottom of the picture.
    >>
    >> MJ

    >Is that an online service (I couldn't find it on their site)?
    >BonusPrint (and I'm not extoling their virtues) allow you to move the crop
    >lines for each picture when doing a format that is not exactly the same as
    >the digital ouput.

    No. It'a walk/drive in to your local Tesco service.

    MJ

    , Jun 16, 2004