    200 RAW pics could be stored on a 700mb CD-R. Is it wise to risk
    storing more than
    that on DVDs?

    Bolshoy Huy, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Bolshoy Huy

    Bucky Guest

    Bolshoy Huy wrote:
    > What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?

    You'll get differing opinions, but my preference is to back up to
    another hard disk. They're going for about 4GB per dollar nowadays.
    Much faster than DVD, and easier to manage, since all the data is on
    one HD instead of dozens of slow media.

    Bucky, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Bolshoy Huy

    Jim Guest

    "Bucky" <> wrote in message
    > Bolshoy Huy wrote:
    >> What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?

    > You'll get differing opinions, but my preference is to back up to
    > another hard disk. They're going for about 4GB per dollar nowadays.
    > Much faster than DVD, and easier to manage, since all the data is on
    > one HD instead of dozens of slow media.

    And, HDs are much more reliable that CDs or DVDs. HD tecnology has come a
    long ways in the last few years.
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Bolshoy Huy

    HerHusband Guest

    > What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?

    I have two external USB 40 Gig hard drives I use for backups. This way,
    they are not connected to the computer should I get a virus, power glitch,
    or whatever. I keep one near the computer for convenient backups, and keep
    the second in a safe deposit box off site to protect against fire, theft,
    etc. Once a month or so, I'll swap the off site drive with the local drive.

    Every few months or so, I also backup my system to DVD-R disks (currently
    takes me about 2 disks, using compression).

    In some cases, a file can be corrupted without my knowledge. I may make
    multiple backups without realizing it, which overwrites the good backup
    with the corrupted copy. I may not notice till I open a file months or
    years later that the backup is corrupted. The DVD-R backup let's me recover
    old files like this if I need to. And, having multiple generations of DVD-R
    backups offers decent protection in cases where the disks go bad (they do).

    Anthony

    HerHusband, Dec 27, 2005