    for making or purchasing storage and information regarding DVD binders
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Brad

    Brad Demrow, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Brad Demrow

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message
    news:417bc349$0$3644$
    > I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
    > home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400).
    > Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information
    > regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Brad

    Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs use
    either laminated particle board or are really expensive.

    A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills will
    produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your own. And
    you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle board shelf.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Brad Demrow

    luminos Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message
    >> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
    >> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400).
    >> Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information
    >> regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Brad

    > Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs use
    > either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
    >
    > A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills will
    > produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your own. And
    > you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle board shelf.
    > --
    > Buford T. Justice
    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves. They
    are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or three
    6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a contemporary
    decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

    luminos, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Brad Demrow

    FAQmeister Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >> "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message
    >>> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
    >>> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection
    >>> (>400). Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and
    >>> information regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Brad

    >> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs
    >> use either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
    >>
    >> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills
    >> will produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your
    >> own. And you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle
    >> board shelf. --
    >> Buford T. Justice
    >> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    >> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    >>

    > I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves.
    > They are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or
    > three 6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a
    > contemporary decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

    But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
    shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
    own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
    shelves.

    FAQmeister, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Brad Demrow

    > "luminos" <> wrote in message
    >> "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message

    >>> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs
    >>> use either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
    >>>
    >>> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills
    >>> will produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your
    >>> own. And you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle
    >>> board shelf. --
    >>> Buford T. Justice
    >>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    >>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    >>>

    >> I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves.
    >> They are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or
    >> three 6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a
    >> contemporary decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

    > But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
    > shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
    > own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
    > shelves.
    > --
    > Buford T. Justice
    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    The shelves I have can be arranged at any height. However, since there are
    six, I have left about 2.5 inches per shelf open at the top to fill the
    entire space. If I had totally custom cabinets, I might get one additional
    shelf in....or I could simply buy a shelf and add it to what I have.

    luminos, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Brad Demrow

    RnR Lesnar Guest

    Here's the one I bought from Bestbuy.com. Its not a bad deal and has a lot
    of storage space.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384082587&skuId=5368942&type=product

    --
    RnR Lesnar
    It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

    RnR Lesnar, Oct 24, 2004
  7. FAQmeister <> wrote:

    > But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
    > shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
    > own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
    > shelves.

    If you really want space efficiency, you have to go with drawers, such
    as <http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo1.htm>.

    Neill Massello, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Brad Demrow

    DVDfanatico Guest

    DVDfanatico, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Brad Demrow

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Neill Massello" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister <> wrote:
    >
    >> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
    >> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built
    >> your own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
    >> shelves.

    > If you really want space efficiency, you have to go with drawers, such
    > as <http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo1.htm>.

    Those are excellent, but expensive.

    FAQmeister, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Brad Demrow

    FAQmeister Guest

    FAQmeister, Oct 25, 2004
  11. Brad Demrow

    Brad Demrow Guest

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    > Some people have previously posted the suggestion of using DVD sleeves so
    > you
    > can store hundred's in a very small space.

    To keep dvd in original packaging and near home theater system, shelving
    that will occupy premium space may be necessary. Most of the media shelf
    units seem to max out around 450 dvds, so building may be the best option.

    I like cabinets/drawers, but it would take several hundreds of dollars to
    store a large collection.

    Although I prefer dvds kept in original packaging, I would consider binders
    if I could find a good product. However, depending on how many dvds a
    binder holds, that too could be expensive.

    Thanks for the suggestions, I will also attempt to survey this group about
    storage methods in another thread.

    Brad

    Brad Demrow, Oct 28, 2004
  12. Brad Demrow

    > "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    >> Some people have previously posted the suggestion of using DVD
    >> sleeves so you
    >> can store hundred's in a very small space.

    > To keep dvd in original packaging and near home theater system,
    > shelving that will occupy premium space may be necessary. Most of
    > the media shelf units seem to max out around 450 dvds, so building
    > may be the best option.
    >
    > I like cabinets/drawers, but it would take several hundreds of
    > dollars to store a large collection.
    >
    > Although I prefer dvds kept in original packaging, I would consider
    > binders if I could find a good product. However, depending on how
    > many dvds a binder holds, that too could be expensive.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions, I will also attempt to survey this group
    > about storage methods in another thread.
    >
    > Brad

    I don't trust binders any more because I was storing a lot of CDs in
    binders and after a couple of years there was some kind of chemical
    reaction between the CDs and the plastic sleeves.

    FAQmeister, Oct 28, 2004
  13. Brad Demrow

    Goro Guest

    (DVDfanatico) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Some people have previously posted the suggestion of using DVD sleeves so you
    > can store hundred's in a very small space.For shelves that store nearly 2000
    > CD's (I'm not sure how many DVD's that is) check out
    > http://www.homedecorators.com/search.php?allRows=true&classification=2&typ
    > eDefId=1326&definition=1328&sortOption=ourFavorites
    >
    > Also check: http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/as249.html
    >
    > -DVDfanatico

    also, if you are going to store in Sleeves, then try using DVDProfiler
    to print out a list.

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 29, 2004
  14. "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > I don't trust binders any more because I was storing a lot of CDs in
    > binders and after a couple of years there was some kind of chemical
    > reaction between the CDs and the plastic sleeves.

    I once had that problem. The CDs would stick to the plastic sleeve. These
    sleeves were made of a soft pliable plastic. I think the plasticizer was the
    cause of the problem. There was no damage to the disks, but I didn't like
    sticking problem, and sensed that other problems might eventually develop.

    Newer sleeves have a plastic fabric backing, and a different plastic on the
    front. No problems.

    Lester Horwinkle, Oct 31, 2004