    recorder that is in the price range of 200-$300.00.

    Many thanks for reading and replying,
    drybones
    drybones, Nov 29, 2005

  2. drybones

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:43:28 -0800, "drybones" <>
    wrote:

    >Am looking at the: Sony RDR GX 315, but have no clue as
    >to whether or not it is a 'good' one.
    >
    >Please advise or, please point me to your choice of a
    >recorder that is in the price range of 200-$300.00.

    DO NOT - REPEAT DO NOT - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER BUY ANYTHING
    FROM SONY. EVERYTHING THEY SELL IS TOTAL CRAP.

    You've been warned.

    Why people buy crap when the best is actually cheaper in many
    instances is beyond me. But then I never could understand the Milgram
    Experiments either.

    Buy either an ILO DVDR05-MU1-5.40 (not MU and not ZU) from W-M for $99
    or buy a Pioneer at the other end of the cost spectrum. I got the ILO
    because I know I will upgrade in a year so I did not want to put a lot
    of money into a unit at this time. The entire DVD industry is
    experiencing a massive shakeout that will not be complete until next
    year at this time. The consumer landscape will be radically different
    from what it is now, and early adopters are going to get burned - like
    we all got burned with Sony BetaMax.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary
    Bob, Nov 29, 2005

  3. On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:43:28 -0800, "drybones" <>
    wrote:

    >Am looking at the: Sony RDR GX 315, but have no clue as
    >to whether or not it is a 'good' one.
    >
    >Please advise or, please point me to your choice of a
    >recorder that is in the price range of 200-$300.00.
    >
    >Many thanks for reading and replying,
    >drybones

    I don't know that Sony model, but I personally wouldn't buy Sony
    because of their recent business practices, and because I think they
    are generally over priced. I'd look first at the Panasonic models. For
    your price range, also consider the iLO DVDRHD04 (which I have). It
    comes with an internal hard drive, and I think that's an option that
    makes the use of a DVD recorder much more pleasant. If you do get the
    iLO, be sure to visit their web site and check for firmware updates.
    Also consider this "hack" update, which significantly improves
    performance http://ncc2315.com/ilo/.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Nov 29, 2005
  4. drybones

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:05:07 -0600, Charlie Hoffpauir
    <> wrote:

    >iLO DVDRHD04 (which I have). It
    >comes with an internal hard drive, and I think that's an option that
    >makes the use of a DVD recorder much more pleasant.

    Is that made by LiteOn? If so, which model?

    The non-HD version of the DVDR04 is LiteOn, which suffered from a lot
    of complaints. However that does not mean the HD version is a bad
    unit.

    The newer DVDR05 is made by CyberHome - CH does not have a HD version
    on the market as I understand it.

    Bob, Nov 29, 2005
  5. On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:53:26 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:05:07 -0600, Charlie Hoffpauir
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>iLO DVDRHD04 (which I have). It
    >>comes with an internal hard drive, and I think that's an option that
    >>makes the use of a DVD recorder much more pleasant.

    >Is that made by LiteOn? If so, which model?

    Yes, it's made by Lite-on. It's about a year old now, sold only at
    Walmart (AFAIK). The model number I gave is the model number it was
    sold under. As delivered, it did have some problems, but once I
    flashed to the firmware updates, it's been a good performer.

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Nov 29, 2005